melmer

The Wolf Among Us

There'll be a little shammack in the credits.

(He'll be in the corner, waving.)

Sean and Nick and I didn't have much of anything to do with it but yeah Scott!

well these days you and sean don't have much of anything to do with anything that isn't weddings

My involvement is actually pretty minimal; I was only on it for a couple of weeks between finishing up 400 Days and moving on to start setting up other projects. But I've played it and it's cool!

Gonna be checking this out at PAX for sure. I think I have a media appointment for this one. Should be cool!

I've heard very good things, but I'll be waiting until all 5 episodes are out before I play it

I do like the episodic format... But only when I get a new episode each week

Between the Mighty 9 Kickstarter, the Shantae Kickstarter, Pokémon and Halloween I simply could not afford it... I could have saved some money but I didn't even remember it was coming up... Is it me or this a terrible time to come out? Between GTA V and Pokémon, everybody is pretty distracted. :|

I don't think the timing is poor, I doubt these games get much traction until the later episodes come out anyway

I'm going to pick this up around Christmas when my current semester is over and I'll have the time to play this. As a fan of comics, and especially Vertigo comics, this is probably the game I've been looking forward to most this year.

I'm quite pleased with it! I had to stop playing earlier (just before finishing, I think!) because I went to see Gravity, but what I did play is great. Man, I love the art style they've employed here. It's fantastic. Looks very much like a comic book (inherent 3D-ness aside), although not a whole lot like the Fables comics themselves, which is okay, 'cause the tone is a whole lot more noir-ish than I remember Fables ever being before, and that's GREAT, because this particular Comic-Book-Style fits that tone like a glove.

Hooboy look at that run-on sentence. I'm a wee bit tipsy. 'POLOGIES.

EDIT: 'Kay I just finished it up. Still good. Two things...

Twice, you're asked who you suspect the killer is. Twice, you're offered Bluebeard as an option. I mean, yeah, Bluebeard is known for decapitating his wives, and yeah, Bigby obviously has his suspicions about Bluebeard in general (see his file in his apartment), but c'mon. He doesn't show up in the first episode at all, outside of that file!

Second thing has a super-spoiler if you haven't read any of the comics, regarding a thing that happens.

Disappointing that the big ending to episode one is Snow White's head sitting there dead, when anyone who's read ANY of the comics will know she's very much alive and well.

I like the character Mr. Toad.

I very much enjoyed this, even if I don't necessarily agree with the apparently popular opinion that it's better than Episode 1 of TWD. I happen to think Ep 1 was actually the second best of that whole series, so perhaps I'm in an odd position.

But yes: the noir vibe is awesome, I like all the characters, it's genuinely surprising in its story which is cool, and hot damn that art is GORGEOUS.

I played it last night, and also enjoyed it.

I still haven't played The Walking Dead.  Is this more or less what the gameplay was like for that game, and what should be expected for the rest of The Wolf Among Us?  I was disappointed that there wasn't any traditional adventure game stuff.  It was fun, but it was more or less like watching a tv show that every once and a while requires you to make a choice or do a QTE.  Additionally, I really wish the game let you adjust the length of time you have to make a dialog choice.  I'm a little dyslexic, and it takes me noticeably longer to read than it does your average person.  It's fine if they want to put pressure on your choices, but it doesn't seem fair to assume that everyone is going to be able to take in the options in the same amount of time.

I haven't played the Wolf Among Us yet, but the gameplay you're describing is the same for the Walking Dead, so if you find that frustrating you're going to find that frustrating for the Walking Dead too. These are definitely not traditional adventure games.

Let's see: The art style was fantastic. The story got me hooked. The time constraints for dialogue options are often way too harsh. The quick time events were fucking atrocious (good thing they didn't seem to have much effect on the outcome). You can't disable to "You made a choice" popup this time around. The game insists on spoiling the upcoming episode. 

Let's see: The art style was fantastic. The story got me hooked. The time constraints for dialogue options are often way too harsh. The quick time events were fucking atrocious (good thing they didn't seem to have much effect on the outcome). You can't disable to "You made a choice" popup this time around. The game insists on spoiling the upcoming episode. 

If I had been unable to disable the "you made a choice" popup in TWD I would have been very upset, and I hated how The Walking Dead would always try to spoil the next episode (to the point where I closed my eyes and covered my ears during that part). I'm probably going to wait at least until the season wraps up to check out this game, mostly because I want to let feedback accrue, but "you can't turn off you made a choice popups" is almost a deal killer for me, I think.

For the first time in a long time I've played a game soon enough after it's release to actually engage in the conversation about it. Hooray for me. Actually I agree all of the above and don't actually have a whole lot to add so maybe less hooraying for me.

Aesthetically I'm really into it, the menu and credits deserve a special mention because they're rad, but overall I'm just really unsure how I feel about this game. I guess part of why I find this game wierd is that in TWD I felt my decisions directly affected Lee's life, but in this all the choices don't seem to impact Bigby at all and I feel really detached when making them. Could be just me.

Also strange is the way one of the achievements works - first time through (for all my moaning I enjoyed it enough to play it twice, more to soak up more of the atmosphere than anything else) I got all but one of the little backgroundy character bio thingys, second time through I got them all and got an achievement for it. I didn't miss the last bio the first time because I hadn't thoroughly explored a scene or had otherwise missed something, it's that I hadn't made the right choice at a certain point in the game. It seems contrary to the point of a game which gives you choices on how to react to a given situation and adapts to your choices to then say "Oh, but that choice had a right answer and a wrong answer. Well done on picking the right answer."

Also, (very minor spoiler)

One of the policemen had the word Police written backwards on his uniform, not really a complaint it's just odd that nobody noticed. Or maybe it was just my eyes playing tricks on me.

There's no right or wrong answer. That choice unlocks a different bio for either choice.

Achievements are dumb in this kind of game, anyway. U:

I also noticed the thing in your spoiler.

I bought it, played it, loved it. The one mistake I made was looking through the coming chapters in the chapter select screen and now it feels like I know where the story is going. I really wish there were more options for investigating. It feels evolved from The Walking Dead, but at the same time I need these games to hurry up and get more complex and offer significant branching paths and additional player agency. They need to get to the point they're at least as complex as a kids choose-your-own adventure novel, and we're not there yet. But these baby steps are a good...step, in the right...baby direction? 

I thought it was fantastic. It was really well-paced and had an interesting story. The art's great and the QTEs didn't really get in my way. The timer definitely forced a couple mechanical mistakes (accidentally clicking something while rushing to click something else), but more often it made me make quick decisions that I may or may not have regretted later.

I'm also really curious to see how it goes for the rest of the season. It does seem like this was kind of an action-heavy pilot episode and the tension might get turned down a bit later to make room for more puzzles and stuff.

Second thing has a super-spoiler if you haven't read any of the comics, regarding a thing that happens.

Disappointing that the big ending to episode one is Snow White's head sitting there dead, when anyone who's read ANY of the comics will know she's very much alive and well.

I wasn't that disappointed with that, actually. Instead of "omg I can't believe she's dead", my reaction was "WHAT DOES IT MEAN???". Does that mean that Faith might not be dead forever? I don't think it does, but it's not like knowing that Snow is alive later means the mystery of the story is gone.

So I haven't played much, but I'm loving this game so far.  The only thing that's bothering me is that my 360 controller doesn't work right in Big Picture mode (pretty sure this is on BP and not the game though).  Has anyone else had problems using a 360 controller in Big Picture? 

Edit: I also love how perfect doing nothing and letting Bigby just stare at people feels.

So I haven't played much, but I'm loving this game so far.  The only thing that's bothering me is that my 360 controller doesn't work right in Big Picture mode (pretty sure this is on BP and not the game though).  Has anyone else had problems using a 360 controller in Big Picture?

I haven't had any problems with (wired) 360 controller and Big Picture. What is the issue?