Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 117: Sir! Sir!

Idle Thumbs 117:

426__header.jpg

Sir! Sir!

Okay, real Idle Thumbs confession time: We can't stop playing and streaming Crusader Kings II. Chris and Nick's lives have been overtaken by it and there's just nothing else. There's... oh god, they're coming this way. Get down here in the grass, bandage yourself up and drink this whiskey so you have a bottle to throw if they get too close.

Games Discussed: Sir, You Are Being Hunted, Crusader Kings II, GemStone III, Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony, Miles Dyson Punches Out

Wow, Gemstone III on the list of games discussed. I played that game on AOL before I could even type well enough to actually play it. Just for that (plus all the other things) I think I might...listen to this episode!

Oh man Ragnar was almost the countdown to tears fulfilled.

Edit - Wow I missed a lot when I had to leave that night from watching the stream of CK2.

Oh man if you guys are serious about attempting to play Dwarf Fortress, let me push this excellent idea along by dropping some helpful links.

First, don't just download the game, get the Lazy Newb Pack. It comes with the game, a couple graphic tilesets, and useful utilities (mostly in the way of managing what dwarves are enabled to do what tasks).

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

Then there's the ever useful Wiki.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

Things you want to learn how to do immediately is digging, building workshops, designating rooms, and growing / fishing for food while also brewing. Those are your constant tasks throughout the game (except for workshops, those are generally one-time but important things to do). Training an army is a pretty difficult thing, and so is establishing any industry for trade (like textiles for example). Learn to live in a dwarf fort before advancing to trade and war.

Big thing to worry about when playing this game over a stream is people forcing their strategies or bad ideas on you; a lot of advance players like to tell new players the stupidest shit that doesn't help to learn the game at all. If people tell you to embark to a location that is evil, terrifying, or haunted, they're not trying to help you learn the game. They're setting you up to game over immediately. Don't get me wrong, that's funny, but it just makes people dismissive of the game more than anything.

Holy shit, I never would have remembered Modus Operandi on my own. Those games were weird.

MUDs are still pretty interesting to me, though I can't get into them for any length of time. Also, I totally did weird chat room roleplaying game stuff. There's a spectrum of how emotionally involved different people get in those situations which makes for very odd moments of disharmony. Like, you can never gauge the level of investment of the person on the other end.

There is something cool about the shared imagination element; it's not altogether unlike playing an RPG around a table, but the lack of visual stimulus (staring at each other's neck-bearded faces) can make it more absorbing. 

I feel vaguely uncomfortable thinking about this stuff.

I totally sympathize with Jake and his mental fixation with Miles Dyson's last breaths.  Normally when people die in a movie they just sort of fall over or gently close their eyes or something, but Dyson is literally struggling for each breath.  Watching him gasp out the last few moments of his life really stuck with me.  I felt pretty terrible that he had to go.  I didn't create the same mental link to Sam Jackson's arm though.

I tried to find a Youtube video of the scene but every video is just making fun of his breathing and ruins the mood.

Tony Prince practically sounded like Snagglepuss in his few cameos in the main GTA4 storyline. They cleaned up his stereotype quite a bit for his DLC. You can hear a few of the voice actor's pre-TBOGT performances the few mission cutscenes that cross over with GTA4's storyline, and the contrast is very obvious. Johnny Klebitz also sounds a little different in TLAD than he did in GTA4, but the change wasn't as drastic; just more fleshed out.

Tony Prince practically sounded like Snagglepuss in his few cameos in the main GTA4 storyline. They cleaned up his stereotype quite a bit for his DLC. You can hear a few of the voice actor's pre-TBOGT performances the few mission cutscenes that cross over with GTA4's storyline, and the contrast is very obvious. Johnny Klebitz also sounds a little different in TLAD than he did in GTA4, but the change wasn't as drastic; just more fleshed out.

Ah, that's interesting. I don't remember if I saw that content in GTA4 proper. That's a shame, but also good to know that they consciously changed direction, because I really loved that character in TBOGT.

I totally sympathize with Jake and his mental fixation with Miles Dyson's last breaths.  Normally when people die in a movie they just sort of fall over or gently close their eyes or something, but Dyson is literally struggling for each breath.  Watching him gasp out the last few moments of his life really stuck with me.  I felt pretty terrible that he had to go.  I didn't create the same mental link to Sam Jackson's arm though.

I tried to find a Youtube video of the scene but every video is just making fun of his breathing and ruins the mood.

This is the closest that I had found

I wanted to hear Nick talk about Gemstone 3 for an hour. I know very little about MUDs. I'd be interested in hearing a conversation of what that type of game tended to express compared to whatever the modern day counterpart is.

It's weird that Dyson's breathing stands out in my memory too. Disappointed that Chris didn't just interrupt the conversation with a classic 'Stop it!' (Arnie voice).

Reassuring to know that Jake is our Lord and Saviour though. His soft downy feathers will protect us all.

Other hand-centric movie moments of the 90s:

Cliffhanger "Stallone seems oddly undisturbed by this traumatic moment"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XOW1rhZCTmg

Adam's family anything with Thing in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7AuH1FLVvkE

Evil Dead 2 Ash's hand vs Ash. (actually this was late 80s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EWY7OYUcB0&feature=player

Blade Runner nail through replicant hand to get the joints unstuck gets honorable mention despite not being 90s. Also worst nightmare of Deckard getting fingers broken through a hole in the wall (adam jensen style) without even seeing how or in what order.

Time cop arm shattering liquid nitrogen scene

Total recall "See you at the part Richter"

Terminator 2 is full of hand stuff: the robot hand from the first movie is what Cyberdyne uses to build Skynet; the final thumbs up that Arnold gives before he dies; "Talk to the hand."

Yeah I had that thought process too. Not to mention the scene RIGHT before Dyson dies where Arnie rips his arm open gruesomely to prove he's a bot.

Ah, ya got me Chris. I wonder what Chris was wishing Jake good luck for? I hope it was for realz and not a joke because I remember thinking "oh good luck to Jake for whatever", and if it was in jest I shall feel a fool. 

Dark corners of the internet that you're not entirely convinced actually ever existed are weird. I remember playing a game called Dungeon Runners, which I found out via forums, that was up for a while and something like Tibia or something? I'm not sure if I ever actually properly played Tibia or just imagined it.

I also just looked up a Runescape forum I thought I might have been a part of at one point in my life,  and I literally could not tell if the account I was looking at it was mine based on the fucking stupid 12 year old mentality I used post with. It turns out it wasn't because this guy had way better shit than me but nevermind. I used to go on a forum and talk about My Chemical Romance a lot too for some reason, but I won't reveal myself for fear of a Breckongate-esque leak of info. 

For a second there I was like "Why are you guys posting random movie shit" and then I remembered the hand conversation from this episode. Lack of sleep is screwing with my memory.

Also I really appreciated that Dyson reference. His death scene is really dramatic and I haven't really seen it replicated by any other TV show or film. It's a totally different kind of desperate-to-not-die (but probably more common IRL).

Where did jake go...? Answers on the back of a postcard

I'm gonna go with donating bodily fluids, be it blood, bone marrow or sperm... Or all three at the same time (you're gonna need a little luck if you're doing all three at the same time, trust me, I did the double once and that was hard enough. Which two i was donating? I'll leave up to your imagination)

Sperm & more sperm? 

I like to think Jake just couldn't take the talk of obscure MUD's and had to leave right then and there to get a sweet fix of 90's Apple freeware gamez. 

Edit: to remove the second D from "MUD" after seeing Nick's correct spelling of the word in some sort of sick Wilson-1984-esque revisionist manner so I could live with myself.

I wanted to hear Nick talk about Gemstone 3 for an hour. I know very little about MUDs. I'd be interested in hearing a conversation of what that type of game tended to express compared to whatever the modern day counterpart is.

I could probably do that. MUDs were fascinating. GemStone III stream?