Sign in to follow this  
TychoCelchuuu

Tangiers | Splinter Cell via William S. Burroughs/Dada David Lynch Thief

ibvqa0ZesppJv5.jpg

Home Page | Kickstarter | twitter | YouTube | Facebook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=IANpN2iykPE

igL9dJULp1g9S.jpg

Tangiers is a stealth game. I will let the words from its "About" page describe it:

Tangiers is a dark, surreal game – a love letter to the avant-garde of 20th century. It’s a world built from the broken prose of Burroughs, from the social dystopic brought about by Ballard’s architecture...

icc1JMeaYMTgr.jpg

Tangiers is a stealth game and at its base, follows many of the mechanics set up by the Thief games. Hide within the shadows, avoiding light. Plan your infiltration, stalking, observing your foes routines – both as they move around on the lookout and commit what passes as their private lives... Exploring and finding the fragments of an oppressive city, scattered across a dead, emotionally burnt landscape.

iUUWTNzjZ7aGx.jpg

This devlog has the first gameplay footage.

Tangiers will (hopefully) be released in mid 2014 for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

idVIDrA5EPeRQ.jpg

Links

Back the Kickstarter! I want to play this game.

The latest update explains some of the game's "words mechanic". It sounds incredible / utterly insane.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1841885340/tangiers-surrealist-stealth/posts/549398

Any character in the world that talks or communicates in any way has their words materialize above their heads. When finished talking, these words will fall, hit the ground and leave a keyword for you to collect.

Characters hearing these reused words will respond as if they heard the words from whoever first used them. "Care for a smoke" will draw them to the words placement, but "There's someone by the car-park" will both send them into a more hostile state and encourage them to head towards the said car-park. Similarly, "It's all clear now" will have them relax into a more neutral place.

I have no idea how a two person team with no experience is going to pull off such an ambitious concept, but I'm willing to pay to watch them try!

I am fascinated by the theme, but I can't force myself to consider that a heavily experimental game that relies on stealth-mechanics by a first time developer is going to be a pleasure to play. I will remain respectful by not listing my personal ideas on how this theme could be approached in a game with much more stable systems. Especially since it would be coming from me, who feels challenged when making a Twine game.

This looks absolutely bonkers, and I really want it to become a real thing. Looks like their campaign is doing okay, but not great, so hopefully it makes it.

So I talked to one of the two guys making this game on Twitter, and I'm gonna be interviewing him tomorrow morning! Once the interview/article is up, I'll post a link here.

I think the reasoning for making a stealth game was pretty interesting in that interview. Burroughs and friends have a really uncomfortable paranoia accompaning their art-magic adventures. It makes since that the game would want to create that juxtaposition of vulnerability and esoteric power with stealth.

Wouldn't it be funny if your character could assemble a dream-machine out of daily newspapers and a record-player? Then your loading screen becomes exceptionally long and the screen blinks 13 times a second.