Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 116: Ragnar Calls it Quits

I've read a few posts, and it sure is livejournaly, if not incriminating. 

I found it very human. I can totally hear this passage in Nick's voice:

Oh, speaking of all that, guess who TOTALLY fucked me over and STILL hasn't sent in some of my counselor evaluation forms? Yes, the one and only, Mr. Ricky-Dicky Wilson. Fuckhead. I swear, some of the counselors at PCEP are absolutely totally fucking worthle~ ooo, Christmas cookies!

I found it very human. I can totally hear this passage in Nick's voice:

I was an idiot.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it on the cast, but I can't even make that thing private because the recovery is tied to a university account, and Livejournal has no customer support now. Worst.

Anyway, please feel free to discuss video games in addition to my gross personal past.

What internet-goer hasn't had a Xanga or Livejournal or blog of some other sort?

At least there's context for that tweet Nick put out asking if anyone knew any Livejournal employees.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it on the cast, but I can't even make that thing private because the recovery is tied to a university account, and Livejournal has no customer support now. Worst.

I have a Yahoo! account that I still use on occasion, but not for anything useful, because I signed up for it when I was eleven. That means that the account is permanently flagged as "under thirteen" and therefore underage, even though it's been seventeen years and therefore impossible for me to still be underage, even if I'd signed up for the account in the delivery room as I was being born.

Yahoo! support just shrugs and tells me it's for my own good. I guess I'm a perma-baby.

God I did something very similar with my friends reunited profile when i was in college (probably around 2000). I hit the character limit in the about me field, filling it with insane gibberish and chat logs between me and a friend.

So don't feel bad Nick, we were all messed up teenagers at some point ( I haven't actually read it, I'm just assuming you were messed up :) )

Ha, I figured that LJ was yours and I was going to leave a comment on it but I'm not that creepy.

(I met my husband through LJ.  It was not all bad!)

I still have a xanga (or at least did up until about a year ago was the last time I checked? because they don't delete it and the website still exists!) and  sometimes I relish finding it again and laughing and laughing and laaaughing.

This is not one of those times. I'll avoid it. For now.

Years later, as a [college-aged] adult, I made a wordpress account when I went to Japan, to write about it, or at least try to. I like to think it's more interesting and less angsty but I know there's some real dumb livejournaly shit in there too.

Weeeee.

wtf is Xanga?

I was going to say, "The thing girlfriends in highschool jump ship to so you can't leave them comments anymore," but,

Error requested item does not exist.

Sick burn.

Now I just really want to play Rebellion again now that I'm not 12 years old. Looks like it's a game that is going to be hard to get a hold of.

The proper response to the Live Journal thing is pretty much this comic:

7-8-13-950x10000.jpg

I haven't heard someone mention Albino Blacksheep in... forever. So that was a trip down nostalgia lane. But in terms of nostalgia it's nothing compared to the Rebellion discussion. Like CK2, I have a feeling the game's arcane UI held it back, which is a bit of a shame because unlike CK2 I don't think it's tremendously complicated, at least as 4X games go (although real time with pause certain puts some pressure on, as we've seen in the CK2 stream - I feel like Rebellion was near the head of the pack when it came to "sweeping 4X strategy games that are real time rather than turn based").

I looked up BoILR and holy shit, that is a thing. I agree with Chris (I think it was Chris) about how weird it is - it just seems so divorced from any other kind of competition I'm used to seeing or participating in. It's like a speed eating contest where the participants have to eat food chosen at random from a supermarket or something. Very bizarre. Fun to watch, though.

I remember making a ton of super short jokey Xanga posts every day for a while in high school. It annoyed all my friends because they'd keep getting update e-mails or something. Then Twitter was invented and the rest of the world caught up to me.

LSD: The Dream Simulator is kind of bonkers, but I also found it incredibly arbitrary. Basically it feels like a less focused version of Proteus, except with super PS1-y textures.

I watched some Lets Plays of LSD: TDS 4 or 5 months ago and I agree that it's bonkers. It has the capacity to present you with some terrifying creations!

I just couldn't deal with the slow pace, waiting for Han to get his ass over to some planet or whatever. 

I still have a hard time getting into Paradox games and the like because of the time element. I end up with things crawling along at a snail's pace, because I fear that if I use too much time compression, everything will spiral out of control immediately.

Fully turn-based games relieve that pressure on my brain tremendously. Of course, you can pause something like CK2, but it stresses me out. When I have time, I plan to watch the stream; I suspect it'll help me get more into the game. I'm still at the point where I'll find myself clicking all over the screen to try to open some window pane I was looking at only minutes ago. I hate the interface.

I still have a Xanga... weird.

Also, the CKII stream last night was even more incredible than the last. You all should be watching it.

I just couldn't deal with the slow pace, waiting for Han to get his ass over to some planet or whatever.

But Han, if not traveling on a ship, had like double the travel speed. He could get across the galaxy in like 15 days, which is pretty fast.

Because y'know.

Par secs.

There there was a set up for a classic "Nick Breckon Baby Games" goof, much like in the last episode they missed out on a "No Love for Dad" goof setup. I'm beginning to think they know exactly what they're doing, and it kills me. You sick bastards. 

Does anyone else know which point I'm talking about? It was somewhere when Nick was talking about making some game easier. Don't blame me for not being able to remember. I only listened to it today so I can't be expected to remember. 

Vague post is vague. 

So you know how you guys were saying that if a retail Game of Thrones game were made it would never have gameplay like Crusader Kings because that's just not what people would expect from that game? The funny thing is, that pretty much happened with the A Game of Thrones: The Board Game. Obviously, it's not actually like CKII, but it is a very complex strategy game that requires a heavy time investment. It was publish long before the TV show started, so the books were still fairly niche and the game could get away with being so intimidating. Nowadays, though, I can't tell you the number of people I've seen grab that game off the shelves, thinking "ooh, I love Game of Thrones! This will be fun!" only to realize that your first game is a four hour commitment and get completely turned off.

I'm not really sure what the point of this post was, just wanted to share that. Anyway, it's an awesome board game.

So you know how you guys were saying that if a retail Game of Thrones game were made it would never have gameplay like Crusader Kings because that's just not what people would expect from that game? The funny thing is, that pretty much happened with the A Game of Thrones: The Board Game. Obviously, it's not actually like CKII, but it is a very complex strategy game that requires a heavy time investment. It was publish long before the TV show started, so the books were still fairly niche and the game could get away with being so intimidating. Nowadays, though, I can't tell you the number of people I've seen grab that game off the shelves, thinking "ooh, I love Game of Thrones! This will be fun!" only to realize that your first game is a four hour commitment and get completely turned off.

I'm not really sure what the point of this post was, just wanted to share that. Anyway, it's an awesome board game.

Yeah, board games have more freedom to do that kind of thing in the first place. See also Battlestar Galactica, etc.

Yeah, board games have more freedom to do that kind of thing in the first place. See also Battlestar Galactica, etc.

Yeah, and that is rad. The game of thrones board game audience is very different from the game of thrones Xbox or even steam audience (in that it is almost guaranteed to be people who have German style board game-heavy game nights and the like), so weird shit is allowed to rule supreme in that space. Is the GoT game a Fantasy Flight game? That is a company I keep feeling like I should dislike or be untrustworthy of just because of their size and flashiness, but they make a ton of pretty hardcore, high quality stuff.