Nick Breckon

Crusader Kings II: The Triumph of Ragnar

If you left before the end of tonight's game, you missed some amazingness.  Nick's recklessness sort of paid off.

Great stuff.

They quit the stream immediately after that awesome thing happened? Did they get land?

I only got to see the last 15 minutes or so, and I still have no idea what is going on. Watching the beginning of the cast is going to be weird now.

Well the notice said that they got the Duchy of Jerusalem at least. So, yes, they did get it. Which is just bonkers.

Best stream ever. Or at least until the next one, seeing the way this is going.

EDIT: Oh yeah and Nick did the absolute right thing to use all the money as he was bound to be murdered. The only way to save his life was to kill the Queen, not that he knew that. 

After a while, I started making a template for all of Chris' kingly sayings. Here you all go:

thumbs_coat.jpg

Reminds me that we can put this into good use again:

goty_footer.png

Oh Christ. So much turmoil brought on by Breckon's impulsiveness. Congrats Nick. (Congrats Nick).

Never stop playing weird strategy games for the internet, Thumbs.

did you stick around to the end, Gormongous? That was pretty amazing. I could almost envision a paradox interactive black ops game hijacker manufacturing deus ex machina for maximum drama in streamed games "Well these kids have got to get to work the next day so we better give them something totally preposterous to end on. But we can't make it too easy. Let them blow the royal coffers on failed attempts first."

Reminds me that we can put this into good use again:

goty_footer.png

I'm trying to make a sigil for house Vanaman. Does anyone know what "kill their wives" would be in Gaelic?

I'm trying to make a sigil for house Vanaman. Does anyone know what "kill their wives" would be in Gaelic?

I was taught Irish in school but forget everything now. Using a simple translator I came up with,

''mharú a bhean chéile'' (Pronounced ''VAR-ooh ah van HAY-la'' )

Bhean chéile is 'wife', and I'm not sure how to pluralize it. Maybe ''bheanna chéile'' ? 

So my best shot would be, ''Mharú na bheanna chéile''. Not certain though. 

If you left before the end of tonight's game, you missed some amazingness

did you stick around to the end, Gormongous? That was pretty amazing.

I didn't! I had to go to work in the morning. But now I'll waste the time anyway by watching the tail end while at work.

Gaelic is too much work and Latin is more historical anyway. Occide suas uxores! Or occide suas mulieres, whichever works better for you.

If you left before the end of tonight's game, you missed some amazingness.  Nick's recklessness sort of paid off.

Great stuff.

the great thing is 18 mins in nick says the following "I am so looking forward to the moment where there's enough to gain that we will roll the dice on a 20% assassination"

the great thing is 18 mins in nick says the following "I am so looking forward to the moment where there's enough to gain that we will roll the dice on a 20% assassination"[/size]

Haha holy shit, I didn't even remember that.

I don't think i would have paid it any attention if i hadn't been seeing the stream out of sync. Because i'm in the UK I only caught the last few mins live, then immediately started watching the rest of the stream.

I don't think i would have paid it any attention if i hadn't been seeing the stream out of sync. Because i'm in the UK I only caught the last few mins live, then immediately started watching the rest of the stream.

Same here. Amazing how accurate that vision turned out to be.

Just a heads up, Crusader Kings II and all its DLC (including, for the first time, The Old Gods) is 75% off on Steam for the next forty-eight hours. You can get the base game and everything ever released for it for $33.50 or so, but everyone should at least get the four big DLCs if anything: Sword of IslamLegacy of RomeThe Republic, and The Old Gods.

Oops, I bought the game + DLC collection in the 75% off deal (these streams helped convinced me to take advantage), but I've only just realised The Old Gods wasn't included in that - I was particularly interested in playing as a Viking. Oh well, I do have plenty to be getting on with in my first plays, and I suppose there will be another sale before long.

I've enjoyed the streams, it's an impressive game and seems a lot of fun even for those just bumbling through - no offence intended. Occide suas uxores!

Oops, I bought the game + DLC collection in the 75% off deal (these streams helped convinced me to take advantage), but I've only just realised The Old Gods wasn't included in that - I was particularly interested in playing as a Viking. Oh well, I do have plenty to be getting on with in my first plays, and I suppose there will be another sale before long.

I've enjoyed the streams, it's an impressive game and seems a lot of fun even for those just bumbling through - no offence intended. Occide suas uxores!

Now I'm reading that Latin again and worrying that suas could be read as reflexive. Maybe "occide uxores eorum" instead? I think too much.

And yeah, for some reason Paradox left the latest round of DLC out of the "complete" pack on Steam. I think it had to do with the Steam summer sale happening like a month after The Old Gods came out, maybe they were worried about the sale gutting their sales?

I think streaming at 1080p would make the text more readable.  For other games it's a bad idea but with the mostly static map and UI screens should work great in in this game.

Now I'm reading that Latin again and worrying that suas could be read as reflexive. Maybe "occide uxores eorum" instead? I think too much.

I have studied Latin, but so long ago that I'm hopelessly rusty on the grammar, so I'm little help to you off the top of my head! I'm going to guess it's your second one.

Just watched the rest of parts 7-9. The way Nick approaches strategy games is the best!

Can't wait for the next episode in the saga of Ireland.

So glad you guys don't save-scum -- really makes strategy games like this so much better.  Also the 'bad' decisions make more so much of a better story, and feels like more like real history too.

So glad you guys don't save-scum -- really makes strategy games like this so much better.  Also the 'bad' decisions make more so much of a better story, and feels like more like real history too.

I'd never heard the term save-scum until today but its a wonderful way of describing the "reload until i get the result I want" attitude in this sort of game.

I'd never heard the term save-scum until today but its a wonderful way of describing the "reload until i get the result I want" attitude in this sort of game.

Europa Universalis IV is going to have an ironman feature: no saving except to quit, no changing options ingame, no console access. I kinda wish they could port it back to CK2. I rarely savescum, but sometimes I'm weak.

Just signed up cause I've been loving this latest stream.

You guys are gonna have a hell of a succession crisis in a year or two once all that stuff shakes out.

2 things that give me surgeon simulator pain that I don't think anyone has told you guys how to do it:

1.To check the succession laws and top 3 pretenders at any time, hover your cursor over the county/duchy/kingdom heraldry on the character screen. So, to the left of the character portrait, there's a giant heraldic sheild that will give you that info. (And I believe this works for any shield denoting any loction on any other screen)

2. You can check peoples opion of you by hitting 'd' which will switch to the opinion map mode, you can see who to bribe from there.

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

Yeah, totally! Save scumming will just ruin the experience. I highly recommend not doing it even if you're not streaming the game.

This stream has been pretty great, as someone who's been playing Paradox games for more than a decade its delightful to watch two cool dudes experience the insanity and wonder of Crusader Kings 2.

My only suggestion to the guys would be to take a breather and pause to read anything they aren't completely sure about, and to also maybe think smaller with planned marriages.