Nick Breckon

Crusader Kings II: The Triumph of Ragnar

Jesus, this game.  Sorry I suggested a course of action that ended up with Brian camping outside Jerusalem and then being voted heir!

Vassals are always wary of approving the child heir of a young ruler. Give them four or five years to warm to Sean I Vanaman, then Sean II Vanaman will be a shoo-in.

I took a damn good shot at giving Ragnar his rightful position as king of ireland & true heir to sean, but couldn't quite raise enough support :(

still he lived into his 80's and had 7 children with his wife before popping his clogs his ambition of passing the kingdom onto his kids unfufilled

British geography is your intellectual Surgeon Simulated. When you misidentified Wales as Scotland before deciding it was England I nearly wet myself. Maybe I'll show my Welsh partner, although for your safety maybe it's best that I don't. That said, shown a map of California I may struggle to locate the cities.

I'm playing my first campaign for months and it's going better than ever before. I started as the Welsh duchie of Gwynedd (who caused trouble for you in Dublin.) In two generations I've united Wales and started to claim Ireland. Once I've established myself as a threat to England I'll press my de jure claim on Devon and Cornwall (if I can't 'encourage' them to become independent before then.) Many babies died to get me where I am today.

Is that guy Iron Man?

CK2 has dlc for custom portraits for the different factions in the game, I decided to grab them during the summer sale since it gives a bit more flavour to the game. Iron man is just Ragnar looking appropriately norse.

Trying to get Ragnar to a position of power reminded me of one of the problems I have with the game. I get very attached to the story of one character, & when it comes to a end I sometimes struggle to find the motivation to carry on. To me the alternate history which resulted in that picture feels the authentic one. Yes I could go back & use what I've learned to make a better shot of it, but I feel in some strange way that would lessen the memory of Ragnar his wife Jaquelleine Rodkin, and their children, not just their first born son Sean (named by the game not me), but twins Lee & Clementine, and their two youngest girls little Christine Remo and Breckon.

Great stuff guys! :tup:

The videos made me finally buy the game. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with my relatives' lives.

Ok guys I need some advice so i can see if i can somehow give my Ragnar a happy ending. using one of my earlier saves I'm now (i think) at a point where Ragnars son Sean can inherit ireland but in order to do so i need to build up the faction for Succession by Primogeniture. Any tips on how i could build up this faction (& even if this would work )

Ok guys I need some advice so i can see if i can somehow give my Ragnar a happy ending. using one of my earlier saves I'm now (i think) at a point where Ragnars son Sean can inherit ireland but in order to do so i need to build up the faction for Succession by Primogeniture. Any tips on how i could build up this faction (& even if this would work )

Possibly? If you have a good Spymaster, you can send him to Scheme at the capitals of the other most powerful vassals. If you succeed, they'll be forced to join your faction and unable to quit. Beyond that, just be a cool dude and make everyone love you.

Excommunicate those who won't.

PREPOSTEROUS EPICNESS

Sean unites Ireland on the exact day that Ragnar dies.

Ragnar's daughter married to Sean II

I forgot to mention on the stream that a medieval German emperor actually was assassinated once. Philip of Swabia was killed by a disgruntled vassal, Otto VIII of Wittelsbach, who had held a five-year grudge after being denied a betrothal to one of Philip's nieces, though from contemporary reports it sounds like he suffered from severe mental illness as well.

Anyway, they caught him after a year of running, chopped off his head, threw it in the Danube, and preserved the body in a barrel. Lucky for us, Sean Vanaman avoided such a fate. Good times!

CHANGE THE NAME OF THE THREAD. THIS IS NOT THE TRAGEDY OF RAGNAR. IT IS THE TRIUMPH.

Agreed.

Haha, I loved the moment when Nick freaked out over Ragnars daughter being named Ragnarsdottir :P

We still learn of the life of Ragnar the Gardener in Irish history although recent research have uncovered the more unsavory aspects of his work to unite the nation. He is seen as our equivalent of Alfred the great for his role in turning our country from a collection of petty kingdoms to one united under a single king. One of Joyce's unfinished works was a play about Ragnar's life and how it foreshadowed the rise and fall of the Irish Empire and birth of the Irish republic.

Ragnar and Sean remain popular Irish names to this day, Ragnardottsir not so much.

Do ye try and have as many counties under your personal control as possible or do you give all but one away. I do the latter and it hasn't gone wrong so far especially with the inclusion of independent retinues ? 

Same with Kingdoms when your emperor - I try and keep all Kingdoms with my ruler cause I don't want vassals to be able to call upon multiple duchies as kings when they decide to rebel and if they do become king I transfer vassalage's away from them.

PS - I am also loving the Thumbs butchering of Irish place names, long may it continue

Three things:

1) The fact that there are now 6 parts to this series, is out of control.

2) One of the great things about Crusader Kings II when compared to every other thing that's been streamed so far, is that the screen is almost always just a picture of Ireland and some tiny words that are being read/screamed about by Chris and Nick anyway. This means it's almost as good for listening-but-not-watching as a podcast, and I don't feel like I miss too much if I'm looking at other things such as Work. (It's still best to watch it though, because of the many incredulous expressions).

3) It pleases me that this series started off with the question, "How do we start? Where is the start button?". Look how far they've come!

Agreed Berzee, I've just been listening while collating maths proofs at work. Much laughter was had at Nenagh becoming NeeNag. No way the guys could have it right though in fairness.

Watching part 5 right now. I find the lengths at which Nick and Chris are willing to go to get rid of Ragnar's degenerate son to keep Ragnar's lineage pure equal parts hilarious and horrible. Good stuff!

:hitlerbomb:

The end of part 6 was amazing!  :tup:

Please keep making these.

They joked about it in the early stages, but I do actually require that someone make a novel out of this.

No, wait, The Saga of Ragnar. Does anyone speak Old Norse?

These streams are so good, I'm considering setting my alarm clock 2 hours early so that I can catch the next one live.

This game and these streams accidentally consumed my life.