Sign in to follow this  
Barnastyz

Hey guys (and gals?), I'm new to these parts.

I've been listening to the idle thumbs podcast for a bit under a year now (podcasts make work go so much more quickly) and I've heard a lot of references to the forums. I figured that the guys behind some of the best podcasts' available would have a similarly high quality forum for discussion, plus the quality of the reader mail when compared to some other podcasts I've listened to is far more interesting and thought provoking than I'd originally expected when I started listening to Idle Thumbs (usually the reader mail section of a show makes me groan).

Anyway, here I am. My name is Shane, I like long walks on the beach, pina coladas and sunsets..... Actually I do like all those things, but I prefer playing with firetoys and drinking bourbon. I've been pretty exclusively gaming with my PC these days so I'm not hip to TLOU, I'll try not to be to skeptical about the goty claims. Mostly I've been trying to get into DOTA 2 these last few weeks.

I'm also a cook and love to read, so if anyone wants to talk food or books I'm always down.

ps. I really like the layout of this forum, very simple and clean.

Hey. I'm Clyde.

Have you made any observations about a particular game or games in general that you are longing to discuss?

Also, I'm a big fan of the "New Content" button on the forum. I recommend using it to keep track of discussions. Took me a while to figure out how convenient it was.

Hey. I'm Clyde.

Have you made any observations about a particular game or games in general that you are longing to discuss?

Also, I'm a big fan of the "New Content" button on the forum. I recommend using it to keep track of discussions. Took me a while to figure out how convenient it was.

That's a good tip, thanks. 

I'm actually kind of curious about x-com. I don't really know what it is at all, but I heard it's a strategy game, and I usually like those.

Oh and if anyone wants to read my promotion of my favorite fantasy series in the books section here's a link:

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/8762-steven-erikson-and-the-malazan-book-of-the-fallen/''

Warning, it's a bit of a long post haha.

XCOM is quite cheap on Steam at the moment, for what it's worth :)

First of all welcome to the forums, I think you'll like it here. 

Secondly XCOM:EU is just fantastic. If you like any semblance of strategy in your games then you're gonna like it. I've actually resorted to playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance while I travel as a surrogate XCOM experience. Btw, does anyone know what XCOM actually stands for? Is it an acronym? Or have I just let my stupid show and it's really obvious, or in fact stands for nothing? 

Hello and welcome to Idle Forums!

Btw, does anyone know what XCOM actually stands for? Is it an acronym? Or have I just let my stupid show and it's really obvious, or in fact stands for nothing? 

Extraterrestrial Combat Unit apparently.

Hello and welcome to Idle Forums!

Extraterrestrial Combat Unit apparently.

Now that's just cheating... 

xenomorph conditioning operations manager

mqdefault.jpg

its a tough job but somebodies got to do it

Is that like the guy in Alien Resurrection whose job is to press the button that floods the Xenomorph cell with liquid nitrogen or whatever?

:) yeah. And his last thought before an alien bust out of his chest was "I knew I shouldn't have got those 250 xenomorph conditioning operations manager business cards"

Just to confirm: yes, yes we do have gals here.

I knew they weren't a myth! Glad to hear there's more than just sausage at this party :)

Is that like the guy in Alien Resurrection whose job is to press the button that floods the Xenomorph cell with liquid nitrogen or whatever?

Sounds like a personal trainer for aliens to me. Gotta make sure they're fit and scary for the times they let them out of area 51 for a movie role or whatever.  Nobody is scared of an alien with a beer belly.

You guys are super welcoming, thanks.

Hello, fellow new person! I was drawn to the forums for similar reasons.

Hello, fellow new person! I was drawn to the forums for similar reasons.

Right on man.

For some reason I feel compelled to post my thoughts on some of the larger more general forums that have many subsections.

I definitely think smaller communities are generally a happier bunch. Larger forums are really cool for sheer volume I guess, but even then it kind of seems like a hivemind takes over. I tried posting on Reddit but I hate the layout and the upvote system leads to a lot of what I call "upvote bait" posts that stifle discussion. There are definitely some cool subreddits I visit though. My most used forum is called endoftheinter.net, I like it ok, but that's mostly because I've been going there off and on since 2004, so there is a lot of history there that wouldn't be apparent to a new user, it's almost the mirror image of reddit, very similar, yet poisonously bitter since there is no moderation at all (besides over things like off site harrassment, unmarked nws posts and really serious issues). I don't like anonymous posting so I've never bothered with 4chan and I won't buy a SA account out of principal, making registration cost money is naturally going to lead to arbitrary moderation and bans, not out of any malicious agenda but the combination of power tripping moderators and a very strict TOS.

Obviously I've missed a bunch of popular forums. I'd be interested in hearing other peoples' thoughts about different online communities though.

I really like these forums in particular because it's just the perfect size. There's not a fuck tonne of posts being churned out constantly, and you know that your new topic/post won't just be instantly buried under a mountain of shit instantly. On the other hand, there's also just the right amount of activity that you know you can return in a couple of hours and have thoughtful and well constructed replies to posts. I also just find the topics in general interesting, there's a load of posts that I follow on these forums but I have no interest in actually posting in them, I just like to see what's going on. The fact that the Thumbs also occasionally pop in threads is nice too, you actually interact with the people that you have a weird shrine made from discarde----... urmmmmm... sorry, I mean interact with the people you listen to every week. 

I've not have much interaction with many other forums. I hate to say this but I was oddly semi-famous on my old WoW server because of my forum activity, people would message me in game to either abuse me or say hi depending on whether they liked me or not. I also used to take part in the Escapist forums but it's pretty intimidating seeing people with like 14000 posts, it just seems like whatever you've got to say will disappear. 

I hate to say this but I was oddly semi-famous on my old WoW server because of my forum activity, people would message me in game to either abuse me or say hi depending on whether they liked me or not.

Forum hipster spotted

I work with a Filipino guy. I'll check whether he knows you.