Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Thumbs 115: Robot News

Are you saying that it order for something to be art (by your definition), it has to change how art is defined? I'm not debating, I'm just trying to figure out what you are saying here.

Are you saying that it order for something to be art (by your definition), it has to change how art is defined? I'm not debating, I'm just trying to figure out what you are saying here.

I'm saying that the debate is thus: If video games are art, is chess art? Is baseball art? Is Go art? Are non-video games art? Because in hundreds of years of art history, they have never been considered art. And if those aren't art, what about video games makes them separate? What makes something a game and what makes something art? What is the dividing line between "game" and "interactive art installation"? Are Choose Your Own Adventure books games, art, or both?

I don't have an answer to these questions and, to be frank, I really don't care about the answer to these questions. I'm not an art historian, and whether or not games match a historical definition of art doesn't change how I interact with them or interpret them. My point is, the debate is about semantics, not about whether or not meaningful experiences can occur within the context of a video game. Viscera Clean-Up Crew doesn't significantly address any of those semantic concerns.

You know, it's funny. I'm really not a sports guy, and the only traditional sport that I've ever found even nominally interesting is roller derby, which I find interesting not because of the actual play of the sport but because as it's currently played in America today, the athletes tend to be attractive punky women in my age group and the culture around it isn't one of celebrity but rather going out after the game and hanging out with the athletes at a bar or something. There are obvious reasons to like this approach. Other than that, I don't understand the rules or strategy, I don't know who anyone is, and I find the whole subject pretty intensely dull.

So for the longest time when I heard about the concept of e-sports, particularly Korea's professional Starcraft scene, I was really excited by the idea of these things blowing up into a legitimate US scene that would eventually have people talking about e-sports in roughly the same context as today's physical sports. Almost certainly not to the degree that they'd compete with the really big league sports, but just to be part of the conversation as a whole. Because, you know, I like playing Video games. I like watching people play Video games. I have -context- for e-sports that I don't for physical sports. I figured this would make for sports I could actually be passionate about. And now that's happened, more or less. I'm sure there's still some ways to go before they're quite at the level I was envisioning, but the scene's there and the conversation's there.

And it turns out I find them just as baffling and impenetrable as every other sport.

Hey, if you aren't interested in watching competition or organized play, then it doesn't matter what form it comes in. Doesn't matter if it's a sport, a game, whatever. There are definitely some YMCA gym rats that don't watch basketball. If you don't care who wins, why they won, how they won, who's playing, how it's set up, or what the stakes are then it'll never matter.

I identify with Sean's drive to beat President Obama at mundane tasks. I'm a competitive person, and I like watching competitive play and participating. I am willing to take the time to invest myself into a competitive thing. Putting wins and losses next to a thing I'm already willing to invest in is just catnip.

Additional note on EVO stream viewer counts, niconico was simulcasting and those viewers weren't included in a lot of the counts available