toblix

Steam Summer Getaway Sale

I've actually enjoyed the trading cards concept thus far, though I guess I'm not surprised because I've always been into achievements and whatnot more than others. Unlike achievements, the cards don't contribute to prestige but I do feel like they're some signal of my taste and what games I enjoy. Plus, I'm quite invested in the Steam platform as a whole so having a big Steam level next to my name somehow feels good.

Anyways, I sold a Steam Getaway Sale foil card which subsidized me buying a whole lot of regular trading cards so I could complete my FTL set. The FTL start screen is now my Steam profile background and I like it! That said, you can also easily just buy that background for something like $0.03, but I liked earning it and getting the XP.

Haven't bought any games in the sale so far. Probably would have gone for $5 Reus if it went through Community's Choice, but it seems like the most obviously popular game of the bunch always wins (rather than my hope that the community would come to some telepathic, hive mind conclusion that we should all vote for the game that hasn't been discounted frequently in the past already).

So the community chose Hitman over XCOM EU and Dark JeffGameGolds. Interesting.

even though i own both hitman and XCOM (hitman not on steam) i voted XCOM because i figured a newer game on sale would be more beneficial to the company that made it, plus i figured a sale may get more people who don't play games like XCOM to give it a try, i voted antichamber this time because i own Incredipede and both incredipede and universe sandbox are cheap anyway 

With all these levels for badges I feel like games should have more drops.   At least enough to be able to craft one badge. 

I'm kind of tempted to pick up RPG-Maker even though I know I'd probably get fed up at attempting to make any thing and just give it up... but it's a saving of like £35 so it's super duper tempting. Anyone got any information on whether this a good idea or not? 

So the community chose Hitman over XCOM EU and Dark JeffGameGolds. Interesting.

The community already played those games! Not as many people bought Hitman, so they want it on sale.

I'm hovering on Witcher 2 and Anno 2070. Thinkin about it... but will I ATUALLY play these games?

HITMAN was also cheapest of the three after discount, could be an additional factor.

Also it might have had the most adverts on the side of buses.

Anyways, I sold a Steam Getaway Sale foil card which subsidized me buying a whole lot of regular trading cards so I could complete my FTL set. The FTL start screen is now my Steam profile background and I like it! That said, you can also easily just buy that background for something like $0.03, but I liked earning it and getting the XP.

I don't understand the economics of why the backgrounds and emoticons are worth so much less than the cards themselves. If that stuff only drops by crafting, which uses up multiple cards, shouldn't it be more rare and thus more valuable?

Cards are used for XP, the other rewards have no value as far as XP is concerned.

I'm hovering on Witcher 2 and Anno 2070. Thinkin about it... but will I ATUALLY play these games?

I kept doing that with Tropico 4 and Anno 2070. I mean, I think I like city-building/efficiency-engine games, but I've never played one for long, so maybe I'm just deluded? I'm going to do my best to pass.

Bought Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Left for Dead 2 so far.

Hey, do we have some sort of Idle thumbs gaming group thing going on?

Regarding Anno 2070. Looked forward to it a great deal and ended up buying it during the winter sale. Played it for maybe a couple of hours. It just didn't connect with me for whatever reason. 

Picked up CS Go, for no apparent reason, I don't know why. I know it wasn't made by "Valve" but it's still their first real failure.

When does Brave New World go on sale? That's all I really want to be honest. Being able to play an interesting late game Civ sounds like a revelation for the series, but at the moment I can't bring myself to $30 for it. By the way, if you haven't played L.A. Noire you should pick it up for $5. It was a really fun concept that was executed just well enough for some solid enjoyment and to make you wish someone else would pick it up and really nail it.

Brave New World already went on sale day one for 33% off, I believe. It actually wasn't supposed to go on sale because it had come out so recently, so Steam gave out copies of Civ IV to people who preordered Brave New World as a weak apology gesture. I'd expect you have to wait for the Winter Sale before seeing it cheaper again, and then it'll probably be the same 33% off as during day 1.

I don't understand the economics of why the backgrounds and emoticons are worth so much less than the cards themselves. If that stuff only drops by crafting, which uses up multiple cards, shouldn't it be more rare and thus more valuable?

it's because cards have the potential to be really expensive things but the cheap things are just cheap and with no potential to be better

What about CS:GO is a failure? It's fun.

It's a failure in the sense that it was supposed to merge the CS community back together after it became split between 1.6 and Source.  I don't think it really achieved that objective and as far as I know the CS community is just more fragmented now.  As a game it's fine, but I personally don't like it more than the other games (specifically 1.6)  and I'm pretty sure int he time it's been just as many of my friend's have bought 1.6 than have bought GO (not that it's a lot for either though).

Well, that's true. But I don't think anyone expected it to succeed in that regard, even Valve. At least, they'd be crazy if they did. Everyone's babies and refuses to move on from old shit.

in my opinion CS:GO is the best CS (i have played them all)

I just find it way too samey and that not a lot of people play it. I wanted Counterstrike 2. And considering what Valve usually does, Counterstrike 2 is what would have been produced. It's probably the most uninteresting, unexciting release Valve has ever done. Even Day of Defeat Source was more interesting, and that was essentially free for a lot of people.

I just find it way too samey and that not a lot of people play it. I wanted Counterstrike 2. And considering what Valve usually does, Counterstrike 2 is what would have been produced. It's probably the most uninteresting, unexciting release Valve has ever done. Even Day of Defeat Source was more interesting, and that was essentially free for a lot of people.

yeah it is just another iteration of the game but it is the best one, but really i don't even know what "Counterstrike 2" would be if it wasn't just another iteration of counterstrike??? :wacko:  :blink:

yeah it is just another iteration of the game but it is the best one, but really i don't even know what "Counterstrike 2" would be if it wasn't just another iteration of counterstrike??? :wacko:  :blink:

I have a ton of ideas, since designing games in my head is a thing I do. Character movement could be more human like, being able to clamber up walls appropriately high walls and crates and etc. Having the physics objects specifically play into the game, doors that can be opened and closed and even locked, filing cabinets shoved in the way as barricade could be more effective and far less frustrating. Even things like cars in a car park, being able to open doors for cover in an emergency, or even putting a car into neutral and shoving it as mobile cover.

Weapons ballistics could be a hell of a lot more realistic, with bullet drop and etc. Destructible environments and bullet penetration at all places appropriate, along with ricochets, would give a lot more thought to weapon selection and a lot more punch to machine guns. Teamwork could be encouraged in CS maps with things like hostages being worth a lot more money for the CT's when brought back, and even deducting money from the T's even if they win for being brought back. Speaking of which, with technical limitations of 1999 out of the way maps could be bigger, support more variation, and more players. A farmhouse complex surrounded by a big field, and then a forest as an example. No cover from bullets but from sight while sneaking through the wheat would be interesting, just as an example.

New play modes, better sound design could have gunfire echoing down the right corridors appropriately, telling you where action is. With modern lighting good night maps could actually be a thing. What if there was a mode where you could respawn somehow? A kill the VIP mode, where the CT's have to extract a VIP through a map? That was a really cool mod for Half Life who's name I can't remember. There's a lot that could be done, but I guess people at Valve are interested in other things. As "Concerned" put it, probably frequent raves. Unfortunately Google has failed me in finding the specific comic, but you should really just read the entire thing: http://www.screencuisine.net/hlcomic/index.php?date=2005-05-01

Yeah those are all fantastic ideas for a sequel and would definitely pique my interest, as an only-on-a-rare-occasion fan of CS. I guess the problem is they never said CS:GO was supposed to be CS2. In fact, they explicitly said it wasn't. Which is weird. Why do they keep wasting time not making a real sequel? LAME!!!

But also more importantly why do they keep wasting time on Counter-strike when Day of Defeat is infinitely superior.

Yeah those are all fantastic ideas for a sequel and would definitely pique my interest, as an only-on-a-rare-occasion fan of CS. I guess the problem is they never said CS:GO was supposed to be CS2. In fact, they explicitly said it wasn't. Which is weird. Why do they keep wasting time not making a real sequel? LAME!!!

But also more importantly why do they keep wasting time on Counter-strike when Day of Defeat is infinitely superior.

It's funny, because I'm really derisive of those crazy Counter-Strike freaks who can't catch the wave and play the most current iteration of their game, but put one beer in me and I'll tell you how beta 6 was as good as Day of Defeat ever got and how DoD: Source is a pile of shit. Competitive games are weird like that, one specific implementation of the rules can click with you and then never again...