toblix

Steam Summer Getaway Sale

I love Borderlands, and BL2's PC version has always seemed like such a huge step up from the console versions, so I picked up the PC version of Borderlands 2 when it was pushed down to a 10 dollar price by the community vote. I've also not played any of its DLC, so i grabbed the season pass, which was also on sale for ten bucks.

I purchased the steam version of System Shock 2 for a few bucks, because sure, i'll buy another copy of my favorite game.

I also bought two of the Ys games that Xseed put up on Steam. I've never previously played Origins, but i whole-heartedly endorse Oath in Felghana, it's a fantastic action RPG.

I for sure plan on getting FTL, Amnesia, and Portal 2. They're games i've been dying to play, and now that i finally have a capable gaming PC again, i'm very much looking forward to it.

Maybe a few other things.

I couldn't do Oath in Felghana. It was just too difficult. Origins was way easier, luckily, so I actually managed to get through that. TWICE.

Don't all of the modern Y''s remakes have an easy mode in them? 

I actually got a card for voting, it happened the moment I hit the button I think. It also seems you only get a card for every 10€ spent, which sucks since most of what is on my wishlist is very cheap. 

I am looking at EYE Divine Cybermancy, which costs three pieces of belly fluff right now, and thinking HMMMMM

I have a spare copy you can straight up get if you want.

I'm also on the lookout for a nice Rogue Legacy deal (I'd probably even bite for $10, that's my threshold) as well as Metro: Last Light at a good price. Otherwise, the only thing I'd bite on in this sale is particularly ridiculous sales (80%+ off) or indie games that dip below $2.50 or something like that.

Yeah, my threshold is pretty much 75% off or higher, since I'm not particularly aching for anything to play right now. My Steam library is bulging with truly spectacular games that I am playing through every evening of my current life (and it's fantastic).

Tanu, this morning I bought Bastion as a gift for someone, and it was 2 pieces of eight and I believe I got a card for it.

Just bought Civ V.  I'm also hoping to see Rogue Legacy get around $10.  Also likely pick up Dust if it gets a good price cut.

Not really bought anything in these sales before, but now that I'm leaning on PC I actually bought Hotline Miami and Mark the Ninja.

It's funny that you guys are souring on trading cards now.

In the end, I got Brave New World too.... I also have duplicate cards or Prison Architect and Skyrim.

I also discovered that clicking on them shows a full postcard which is kinda cute I guess and that you gain XP with every game bought? Or maybe it depends on how much you spend.

I broke down and bought Hotline Miami, Binding of Isaac and Civ 5 Gold Edition. All for less than $20.

I was always pretty sour, but didn't want to spoil other people's fun. Still, this incarnation of the trading cards is a little more unpleasant, so I feel okay speaking up about it. They're replacing the Summer Sale metagame of previous summers, which was usually based around rewards for playing a lot of games, with one based around buying a lot of games. You can still earn cards in a roundabout way by playing the games you have (and buying the rest off the marketplace and crafting badges), but it's still an important change for me. This'll probably be the first Steam sale in years that doesn't get me a badge for participating, simply because I don't think I'll be spending the sixty-plus dollars for all the cards to drop.

I have to admit that the addition of trading cards to a bunch of games that I already have is tempting me to play them just to grind for cards. I don't really like what that says about me, but it's true.

I've also been in the same camp as you guys (I_smell and Gormongous) regarding this whole trading card thing.

However, after buying Bioshock Infinite and Dragon Age Origins yesterday I got three cards, then got a few more while playing Infinite. I don't know much about these stupid cards aside from what I've heard here but if I can actually sell every card I get for Steam credit then I'm fucking onboard. I still do feel a little bad for the people that can't resist the temptation to go through the motions of collecting these things but at least there is a silver lining somewhere.

Edit: Sorry shammack

Well, it hasn't tempted me enough to actually do it yet, so I guess there's still hope.

Not really bought anything in these sales before, but now that I'm leaning on PC I actually bought Hotline Miami and Mark the Ninja.

I'm souring on Valve's lame attempt at a metagame compared to previous ones. The trading cards are still fine, although, as I've always said, they could be a lot more interesting.

I do get a very specific kind of joy out of spamming my friends with a Rubick emoticon.

Is it just me, or are there various hidden sales.

Items on sale, but not really visible on the store front. They are hidden in the store.

Items on sale, but not really visible on the store front. They are hidden in the store.

I see. Yeah, they're not advertising the broad-spectrum publisher discounts this time around, for some reason. I just checked at random and Hegemony Gold: Wars for Ancient Greece is 75% off, which is a pretty deep discount for just "summer sale" reasons.

I would imagine that a lot of these things will probably cycle through the front page over the next few days, but you can pretty much run a search for just about anything on Steam and find it on sale right now.

I Googled it and learned that Minerva's Den is only available on Games For Windows, which is kind of lame because 1) it means the Steam sale doesn't apply to it, so you have to buy it for full price (4.99) and 2) I've never had a good experience on GFW. Always a pain in the ass, somehow.

I will probably just buy Bioshock 1.

Oh man, thanks for doing the quick research. That is such a bummer.