toblix

Steam Summer Getaway Sale

I just looked up how it works... You can get half of them by playing and the rest by trading or buying? How is that even fair? 

If a game has 6 cards you can only get 3, and if you trade them you lose them, so how on Earth do you get the full set? Do they expect us to pay for them or what?

It's to encourage people to use the Steam Market. If you don't care for the cards you have but fancy working up some Steam Wallet funds, sell them on the Market. If you want to collect the full set, purchase or trade for the ones you don't have. It's the Ship Card Economy.

I've barely played anything and made three bucks selling the cards. It's much nicer than dumb badges that level me up pointlessly, though I feel bad if other users are paying real money to get my cards.

So far crafting badges hasn't been really worthwhile for me. I guess you're better of selling the lot and using the money to buy games.

What you get out of crafting badges is... well, the dumb badges. But then you also get dumb emoticons and steam profile backgrounds.

Which is the kind of shit I ain't afraid to admit I love just because it's a dumb thing to collect. So I don't sell my cards. But I also won't buy them, because I don't love dumb shit that much!

Regarding the question of getting all the cards for a badge when you only get a limited number of drops, after you have gotten all the drops for a game you become eligible to randomly get a booster pack of cards. For example on Monday I got a booster pack for Dota that had 3 more cards.

Toblix is Toblix again!

Looking at my Steam account page I see that I have spent $83.68 in total on Steam (not including Kickstarter rewards, Humble Bundles, and other things with Steam codes) since I joined in May of 2010.

Of games I paid for, the only games I actually played at all were The Binding of Isaac (price: $1.98) and Frozen Synapse (price: $14.99).  The remaining ~ $66 are for games I never even bothered to install.

So, maybe it's unwise for me to go crazy during yet another Steam sale?

I was voting on the next sale and under the text telling me that voting could get me a summer getaway trading card, it says

Subject to availability. Restrictions apply

Subject to availability?  Is there a limited amount of this purely digital item?

In the past, some of their events have had limited supply. Dunno why.

I kinda love how Valve's been doing this for years now and the sale still kicks the shit out of their servers on the first day.

had my first genuine moment of steam shame today where I looked at endless space and said 'that's a pretty deep discount, I should get that' only to find I already owned and never installed it

:o

So Bioshock 1 & 2 are only 4.99, but I don't see any mention of DLC on the Bioshock 2 page. Is Minerva's Den available on Steam? I don't have too much interest in Bioshock 2 otherwise.

Holy shit, Euro Truck 2 is on the flash sale for ten bucks!

Everyone should seriously buy the fuck out of that. Those games NEVER go on sale.

So Bioshock 1 & 2 are only 4.99, but I don't see any mention of DLC on the Bioshock 2 page. Is Minerva's Den available on Steam? I don't have too much interest in Bioshock 2 otherwise.

I'm curious about this as well.

I finally picked up Hotline Miami. Only like $2!

There are a bunch of other things on my wishlist that are discounted (everything but STALKER), but I'm going to wait to see if they drop in price any further...

I Googled it and learned that Minerva's Den is only available on Games For Windows, which is kind of lame because 1) it means the Steam sale doesn't apply to it, so you have to buy it for full price (4.99) and 2) I've never had a good experience on GFW. Always a pain in the ass, somehow.

I will probably just buy Bioshock 1.

Since they introduced trading cards I have been able to craft two badges, one for Counter Strike Global Offensive and one for Company of Heroes 2.  I found it easiest to simply get trading cards for different games I owned then put those on sale for a reasonable price.  Spend the money you get off of these cards for ones you need and you have a set.  Now the question of why you wouldn't just spend your earned money on other games is one only you can answer.  I also got a 'booster pack' which dropped for Company of Heroes 2, this gave me three or four more cards, but it had a lot of dupes which I ended up selling.

Who would have thought owning video games would be so difficult.

Bioshock 2 also uses that Securom DRM nonsense with a limited amount of activations (10 or 15; so generous).  I felt so burned when I bought it, but I suppose that was my own fault for not doing some research before buying it. GFWL has never been convenient and Securom really is the worst.

Geez, this whole card this is actually making the sale seem a bit sour, I miss the summer specific achievements and I don't even like achievements that much, but it was fun to see a game or two change when you played them on a certain summer day.

To get the Summer Sale ones do you have to buy any game on sale, or just the ones in the series? That's ten cards, so you'd have to buy ten games and hope to not get dupes. Is this evil or genius?

You can buy any game for any amount of money and it counts. It feels really shallow and transparent honestly, especially since the non-money way of earning Summer Sale cards (voting) is only a percentage chance of a drop, versus a guaranteed drop if you just give Valve all your money now.

Mhm this is garbage. ):

I got a foil chivalry card though!!!!!

I got two Dead Island: Riptide cards. :deranged:

Also, i noticed there's an Introversion pack on sale for five bucks, that seems like a ridiculously good deal to me.

I Googled it and learned that Minerva's Den is only available on Games For Windows, which is kind of lame because 1) it means the Steam sale doesn't apply to it, so you have to buy it for full price (4.99) and 2) I've never had a good experience on GFW. Always a pain in the ass, somehow.

I will probably just buy Bioshock 1.

I've tussled with GFWL in the past, but getting the client and playing Minerva's Den worked fairly smoothly for me earlier this year.

Edit: I finally got Dark Souls on PC, and for some reason I picked up Defiance.

Here is my wishlist for the Sale:

+ Night of the Rabbit

+ Rogue Legacy

+ Metal Sonic & Outrun DLC for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed do not judge

+ Final Fantasy VII do judge

+ Probably a million games I'm forgetting right now