toblix

Steam Summer Getaway Sale

It's on! Apparently it's all about trading cards now, I guess. It feels like Valve may, with these trading cards, finally have devised a system too complex for me to immediately understand and thus care about. Do I buy all these games? I can get them when I spend money, maybe? Whatever.

I'm biting on Bioshock Infinite for $30...

Trading cards are for people that want to collect them. I think you can sell them for aroud $1 each but who knows. There's a nifty chart that shows the price history of each card.

I can't even get on the site at the moment. I'm assuming it's due to the sheer amount of traffic.

Oh edit: I got on eventually. I'm gonna wait a few days until I make any decisions though

I kinda don't care about the card... I don't even understand how they work, but... I kinda want the badge with it seems is achieved with card collecting? Does this I'll have to own ALL the games to craft that badge? That sucks!

I'm also not getting Bioshock Infinite yet, I'll wait until it's near the 20€ range. *shrugs*

I kinda don't care about the card... I don't even understand how they work, but... I kinda want the badge with it seems is achieved with card collecting? Does this I'll have to own ALL the games to craft that badge? That sucks!

I'm also not getting Bioshock Infinite yet, I'll wait until it's near the 20€ range. *shrugs*

You get cards for spending money and for voting on sales. It seems like it's just adding an extra step to the usual "participate in Steam sales, get a badge" business.

You know what? I'm sick of some games I want getting discounted, but not their DLC. It's ridiculous(ly effective)!

Huh? Most of the time the DLC is discounted with the game. I guess not always, but I've rarely seen it happen where the DLC is still full price.

I'm disappointed that the sale metagames have been getting less and less interesting. Bleh. I loved the first few, with the specific cheesemint goals. I didn't exactly like that you HAD to get all of the games and cheesemints to get the best prizes, but I liked the idea a lot. This one is just "buy more games bro THXXXX".

Wow, Steam is totally crashing. First things to catch my eye (since they were in my wishlist):

• Daedalus Bundle (Chains of Satinav) for 20 euros
  • To The Moon for 3 euros

Hmm, so I have Dragon Age Origins, but not the Ultimate editions with all of the DLC. Is the DLC worth 9 bucks?

Yep, the sale activity this time is collecting special "summer sale" cards and creating special "summer sale" badges. You can get a summer sale badge by:

- buying a game (on sale?)

- playing a game

- crafting badges from other games

- buying them via the market

So, this time there is no activity involved at all. I liked it much better when you had to earn certain chevos for things that might give you free thingies for games.

Anyway, usual rules apply. Don't buy anything that's not off 66% or more until the end of the sales period. Because it might get 66% or more off during a daily or flash sale.

So, this time there is no activity involved at all. I liked it much better when you had to earn certain chevos for things that might give you free thingies for games.

Yeah, the one with the tickets a few years ago, where you could use them to "buy" special DLC? That was cool. The badges don't seem to get you anything except profile- and chat-bling. No thanks.

Hmm, so I have Dragon Age Origins, but not the Ultimate editions with all of the DLC. Is the DLC worth 9 bucks?

Not really. It was neat to revisit it but ultimately unsatisfying for what I wanted out of it.

I was better off not playing it and leaving my memory on story of the main game.

I am confused though, there is a Torchlight 2 badge, or card, or cancer or something there and I own that game and yet it doesn't appear on the list of things that I can earn.  Either this is something I will figure out and earn 12 of while drunk one night or ignore and just continue to be excited about the sale.  I do have to say though, regardless of the result I like the old badge system better.  Cards are cool and all, I think, but badges are badass.

The tickets one was my favorite as well. ):

People are saying that Bioshock Infinite is cheaper at Greenmangaming, but the voucher they have on their site isn't working for that game with me.

Does crafting a badge require all the cards? I'm likely to get a few before the sale ends, but all of them? Nope, no way. I don't really get this new card system, I started playing Borderlands 2 and got three of the same card, but I haven't gotten any extra since.

Are they tied to achievements, play time, or are they random?

People are saying that Bioshock Infinite is cheaper at Greenmangaming, but the voucher they have on their site isn't working for that game with me.

Does crafting a badge require all the cards? I'm likely to get a few before the sale ends, but all of them? Nope, no way. I don't really get this new card system, I started playing Borderlands 2 and got three of the same card, but I haven't gotten any extra since.

Are they tied to achievements, play time, or are they random?

I believe crafting a badge requires all the cards in a set.

They're connected to play time albeit somewhat randomly (idling the game is all you'd need to do in order to get the cards).

it's annoying, i have 20 games that have cards, but it would feel like a chore to play them for a few hours just to get cards and it's totally cheating to just idle them, steam should fix that.

To get cards from games just start them and keep them running in the background. No real action is needed. Games with launchers, like Borderlands 2, are the easiest, just keep the launcher running.