Sign in to follow this  
Sean

The Idle Book Club 9: Summer Reads

I wasn't really happy with how I presented the book on the cast but what can you do.

I wasn't really happy with how I presented the book on the cast but what can you do.

Do you ever wish you could rewind time?

So I ended up relistening to this episode. The structure of "here are three books we want to recommend" isn't the best for a deep dive into one specific thing, but the enthusiasm that everyone had for Dirk Gently was pretty apparent. And that's fairly interesting in its own right. The discussion reminded me how much I enjoyed the beginning of this book, where it drops you into this very bizarre scene with the Electric Monk and doesn't bother explaining anything to you. There's a lot of confusion and joy built into those first few pages, and I'm a little disappointed with myself for not being able to hold onto that thread for the entirety of this book. 

It was a book whose plot I didn't 100% get when I first read it in fourth grade or whatever, so there may be something to coming to it again when much older and having it all track. I also liked the stuff about music and Coleridge and stuff when I last read it but don't remember any of the details at this point. This is likely a negative but I like that some of the specifics slip off the brain. It kind of aligns with how I think the characters in the book are perceiving the events of the final act.