Niyeaux

R.I.P. Ryan Davis

I've got years of Bombcasts to catch up on, is it a timeless kind of thing (like Edge magazine) where even if you experience them well beyond their fresh period they're still good? I feel like I owe it to the man and it'd be something new to listen to. :tup:

This Year Collection have several Giant Bomb collections that are pretty good. I've listened through them all a couple of times. They also have some of Gamespot's Hotspot podcast from back when the Giant Bomb guys were still there.

I second the This Year Collection. It totally reminded me of some bonkers Hotspot sagas, like the Gizmondo scandal, and also got me into This American Life with a great compilation.

and that breast milk was certified.

I'm still amazed at how few snarky comments I've seen about this.  Whenever anything tragic happens there's always at least one person who's going to be an asshole about it and say something like "he deserved it" or whatever.  But I haven't seen that happen at all.  Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough or in the right places, but it says a lot to me that the one guy who would probably get a laugh out of such comments isn't eliciting a single one.

Likewise. So sad, but it's amazing to see how universally respected and loved he seems to have been.

I started listening to the one prior to Ryan's death. There is one point where Brad said 'Next time Ryan isn't on the podcast, we should do emails first'.

It was such a casual comment but it was heartbreaking.

Well I'm pretty sure they also riffed about Ryan actually dying on Ryan's last episode, which I guess would be especially weird on a second listen.

It was of course about an arcade machine tipping over onto him, and was pretty funny at the time.

There's a new podcast today. I don't wanna listen in on these guys right after their best friend died, because that's kind of ugly, but they must want people to download it, right? It feels strange to me that there actually is a podcast and that I'm GETTING CONTENT still.

I'm gonna fuckin download it anyway. I'm gonna continue using GiantBomb at some point, right? I'm sure that's their intention.

This latest podcast is something really beautiful, these guys all knew Ryan Davis for a long, long time, they have an awful lot of fun stories about him and the impact he had on their lives. They struggle at a few points, but it never turns morose, they approach it the right way.

Yeah, I'm listening to the bombcast right now. It is really fantastic.

I had to stop listening just before I got to work on the off chance that i showed up in open tears.  kind of the last thing anyone wants is a fat guy showing up weeping.

I started listening to the Bombcast in the car on the way to work, but I had to stop because it was raining so hard I couldn't hear.  Its like the sky was crying over the loss of Ryan.  But from what I've heard so far, it sounds like a Giant Bomb Irish wake.  Sharing stories about Ryan and laughing over memories.  Despite the circumstance (or maybe because of it), this might be my favorite Bombcast yet.

I had to stop listening just before I got to work on the off chance that i showed up in open tears.  kind of the last thing anyone wants is a fat guy showing up weeping.

I decided to not even try until I'm on my way home for exactly this reason. All the folks in the Giant Bomb DOTA2 guild were talking about how awesome it is though.

Urghhhhh. I've just been listening to the podcast and boy is it a beautiful thing, it's a really nice celebration of his life and it's kind of inspiring to hear all these lovely things being said about such a wonderful man. I just don't know how they do it without just completely breaking down.

The last podcast I listened to when one of the main hosts died made me cry as I laid in bed. It actually sort of ruined my week at GDC (which is when I learned about the host's death). Ugh, but it was such a great celebration of the guy's life, too. I'm glad to hear the Bombcast is similarly celebratory.

The ending was tough, but Jeff continues to have excellent timing. I'm really glad they decided to do a podcast; a lot of folks really needed that, I think.

Yeah, it was hard to listen to in a way, but it's something I needed to listen to. If that makes any sense...

Yeah, it was hard to listen to in a way, but it's something I needed to listen to. If that makes any sense...

Sounds like catharsis to me.

I can't believe it. After a week it doesn't seem real. Im really going to miss Ryan especially as i used to listen to the bombcast to work... "iiits tuesday" i'll be missing you mate.

I think I'm finally recovering. It'll be interesting to see how content is going forward.

Edit: Looking back at this post, it might seem a bit "eager to get on with it." What I was really thinking is I wonder how much say he had on the features, how much of the general tone was his, and how things are going to change without him. Also, every little piece content they've put up since has made me feel a bit better.

Was just looking through Olly Moss's Tumblr page when I came upon some photos from a exhibition he had done. Ryans face stood out from the crowd instantly and I was instantly a bit sad.