Niyeaux

R.I.P. Ryan Davis

This still feels really weird.  I don't think I'll get used to it for a while.  Going to his twitter page is really surreal and sad.  

I guess I'm not really aware of anything Giant Bomb related, but on a personal level, this situation is really upsetting. I hope his wife is getting enough support, as this sounds incredibly awful to bare.

I really don't know how I should contribute to this thread, since I didn't really follow Giant Bomb either, but this is all such tragic news for his friends, family, and fans. Hopefully the outpouring of support I saw everywhere online today can be some small comfort.

even though I've never met him, having listened to almost every episode of the bombcast it feels like a close friend passed.  I've listened to Ryan talk for more hours than I've spent hanging out with some of my friends from high school, and reading through this thread almost brought me to tears.  He was funny and straightforward.  R.I.P. Ryan Davis.

I guess I'm not really aware of anything Giant Bomb related, but on a personal level, this situation is really upsetting. I hope his wife is getting enough support, as this sounds incredibly awful to bare.

She's had some days already to cope with things (time heals all wounds, or so I've heard). Specifically,

https://twitter.com/EnemyNanner/status/354341391213662209

People aren't supposed to die a week after they get married.

@LostTurntable 5 motherfucking days! Motherfucking @KimKardashian was married longer than me! #butmymarriagewasREAL

This is just insane, I was definitely in denial at first. I've listened to every Bombcast and I'm on GiantBomb all the damn time; it completely changes everything that Ryan isn't only not on the site any more, but not out there for anyone.

To think that those guys onscreen don't have Ryan Davis, even when they go home at the end of the day, and especially that everyone has to deal with all this head-on and be a personality again, I just can't imagine it.

You guys can't listen to the last bombcast, I don't even think I could watch JEFF right now!

I feel like I even remember when Ryan first got engaged, and I just can't believe this is the end.

Dave's text was quite stirring.

I've got years of Bombcasts to catch up on, is it a timeless kind of thing (like Edge magazine) where even if you experience them well beyond their fresh period they're still good? I feel like I owe it to the man and it'd be something new to listen to. :tup:

I've got years of Bombcasts to catch up on, is it a timeless kind of thing (like Edge magazine) where even if you experience them well beyond their fresh period they're still good? I feel like I owe it to the man and it'd be something new to listen to. :tup:

Those guys all had a genuinely great old-friends dynamic on the podcast and there's been just loads of hilarity and thoughtful discussion over the years, it definitely isn't the kind of podcast that just tiredly runs through the news.

really stand out as some particular highlights, for example. Their game of the year discussions are always really great too.

I've been curious to go back at check out some of the earliest podcasts again too, when they just had a placeholder blog and none of the things that would come to define Giant Bomb had really even been decided upon.

To think that those guys onscreen don't have Ryan Davis, even when they go home at the end of the day, and especially that everyone has to deal with all this head-on and be a personality again, I just can't imagine it.

You guys can't listen to the last bombcast, I don't even think I could watch JEFF right now!

Yeah, after hearing the news I saw the Encyclopedia Bombastica Patrick recorded recently and at the end it was clear that he was having a hard time. It was heartbreaking to see.

Poor bastard, two weeks after his marriage and so fucking young. Life can be hard, hope his wife and friends receive all the support they need.

Yeah, after hearing the news I saw the Encyclopedia Bombastica Patrick recorded recently and at the end it was clear that he was having a hard time. It was heartbreaking to see.

It has to be doubly hard because last week was the anniversary of his father passing away, if not the same day. The grief from one thing bounces right back on to the other. :[

I'm still amazed at how few snarky comments I've seen about this.  Whenever anything tragic happens there's always at least one person who's going to be an asshole about it and say something like "he deserved it" or whatever.  But I haven't seen that happen at all.  Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough or in the right places, but it says a lot to me that the one guy who would probably get a laugh out of such comments isn't eliciting a single one.

I've gone back to listen to them from the beginning two or three times, and they hold up really well. I might do it again real soon.

I have seen some people saying that some gaming blogs are exploiting his death for views, but I've also yet to see anybody say anything bad about him. 

Well it's like Rorie and Dave both said, he's a big jerk who's a nice guy.

Ryan had mentioned times when he'd play the mean cantankerous boss to interns or fans for laffs, then feel incredibly guilty and apologize cos he's really a big ol' baby.

I have seen some people saying that some gaming blogs are exploiting his death for views, but I've also yet to see anybody say anything bad about him. 

It's pretty honestly the biggest gaming news this month in North America. Plus, people writing the articles were at the very least his professional contemporaries. They were either influenced by him (a decade+ is a long time in games coverage), worked along side him, or were personally acquainted with him/friends.

Every mention I've seen has also linked to the original Giant Bomb announcement.  In fact many of the tweets from gaming outlets I saw were just a few words and a link to Giant Bomb, they didn't even mention to their own pages.

I started listening more than a year (maybe two? not sure about the timeline) after the podcasts started, marathoned the whole thing starting at episode 1, and found it all excellent.

I didn't really know him at all as I didn't follow Giant Bomb much, but from the few Quick Looks and stuff I watched, he seemed like a cool guy, and judging by my twitter feed a lot of people are going to miss him.

I'm really surprised at how much the death of a guy on the internet that I only ever met twice is really bumming me out. I'll never forget watching him drink anonymous breast milk live on stage.

I'll never forget watching him drink anonymous breast milk live on stage.

I missed the beginning of that panel during PAX East but I snuck into it during the last hour or so.  Needless to say, I was very confused.  I later watched the whole panel and it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen.

Yeah but at the same time I'm kind of surprised that the GiantBombComm hasn't already hiveminded it. (I mean that's the level of admirable group achievement that, rightly or wrongly, I've come to associate with them)