Sign in to follow this  
Tundra

Miasmata 2

I got an email reply from one of the brothers who made the great Miasmata confirming they are working on a new game in the similar vein:

"Yes, we are in the process of developing another open-world exploration/survival game. We're building on a lot of the ideas we had with Miasmata, and we've got some really cool new technology and game mechanics we're building at this very moment. The game will have a much larger world, with many more dynamic and interactive elements. I hope we'll be able to reveal it soon, as I think you'll enjoy it."

Neat. I just started playing Miasmata a few days ago and I am really enjoying it. Between it, Routine, and Lacuna Passage, the first person exploration/survival games genre is looking pretty good.

It would be awesome if Miasmata 2 didn't feature a big scary monster, but focused more on survival. So, finding food, making fire, building a shelter, etc. And of course, mapping the island to find a way off it.

First Person games have never been more interesting than about now.

A game where the player shoots bad guys with a gun is fundamentally different from Miasmata, I think, because so much about Miasmata is how little of a power fantasy it is. It's one of the few first person games where the goal isn't to kill a ton of people. Mean, The Forest gives you guns and sweet flaming swords and who knows what else so you can destroy some fools.

There area fuckton of first person horror games on Greenlight. As far as I'm concerned Miasmata isn't really a horror game. Every once in a while it's scary, but mostly it's a game about exploring and about limitations. You can go hours without anything remotely scary happening.

There area fuckton of first person horror games on Greenlight. As far as I'm concerned Miasmata isn't really a horror game. Every once in a while it's scary, but mostly it's a game about exploring and about limitations. You can go hours without anything remotely scary happening.

This is why I lost all interest in "The Forest" the second the monsters popped out. Horror isn't my thing. I was super excited for a good looking foresty survival game and then "BAM!" survival horror. Well at least there is "Sir, You are Being Hunted" coming out soon. Also "Everyone's Gone to the Rapture" which is apparently delayed till next year to make the game even bigger, though I don't know how much "survival" they were planning on, if any, versus pure exploration.