tegan

Super Smash Bros. (Spoiler: Snake Kills Ganondorf)

Yeah I've been abusing the axe, and I'm getting my hand back into tilt attacks. Villager's smash is very easily punishable; it has a long delay from input followed by a long delay once it's done, coupled with poor reach. I feel like it hits hard for his weight category though.

I'm having a little trouble edge guarding with him. My instinct is to throw down a tree, but it takes too long in some cases. The fireworks up smash is pretty good for the edge guard, but it's easily avoidable. What do you do?

I didn't know you could defend from final smashes! That's pretty cool! 

I'm torn between DK and Charizard as my second character. I like DK a lot more now, compared with 64 and melee, but I suck with his aerial down ability. Find it real hard to time. Charizard's flare blitz is just gravy though. His forward tilt has some great reach too. 

Villager has amazing recovery, so don't be afraid to jump and and throw out a side, up or down-air attack to edgeguard and float back on with balloons. Also you can plant a sprout and instead of cutting down the tree, wait for them to get back on and grow the tree, which hits really hard as well.

Yeah, I've been pretty defensive, I could probably afford to jump off and go for it. You're right, the balloons are crazy good recovery. Villager's aerial left/right attacks are superb for KOs when edge guarding though. 

Tried out Link last night, and I hate him! Just extremely weird to use. I'm not a fan of the medium characters though. I like heavies and lightweights. 

Yep! There were actually some sound files for him in the patch that came out a...month or so ago? Or maybe it was the one with Mewtwo.

More importantly, Roy is back!!!!

Well it's official. I'll be picking up Ryu as soon as possible but the veterans don't excite me. I'll probably only get them for completion's sake if they need to be played on my console for a tournament. I'm somewhat decent (terrible, actually) at Street Fighter so I'm looking forward to playing Ryu with his SF inputs.

Ryu's SF2 button inputs working is a thing of genius, and making those inputs slightly stronger in terms of damage but not in terms of speed or movement is also a clever way of balancing it: experts are going to be able to reliably put in those button inputs but because the danger area's the same as his special moves, the mechanical advantage you get for being able to do the button inputs is very slight.

There's also a slight disadvantage as it's objectively slower to do the inputs (although not MUCH slower if you're good enough), which I think is a good balance, because sometimes a lighter attack is enough in smash to make the difference.

I think it's really good!

Sydney is going to have its first really big Smash Bros tournament on the 11-12th July (Sydney time), with around 200 people in attendance playing Melee, Smash 4, Project M and Smash 64. I'll be competing in just Smash 4 since I'm awful at Melee and haven't touched Smash 64 in years, and I'm super excited to be a part of something that big in Sydney. I doubt we can match the hype that the Melbourne major had in May, since that one had high-profile international players competing like Mango and Leffen, but this way I think it'll be a better showcase of who really is the best in Australia. There will likely be a stream, but Sydney time would probabably make it difficult for most people here to tune in.

Assuming he continues to play Rosalina, I think he will actually be a strong threat. Rosalina is a fantastic, yet underused character, so many players may not be prepared for what she can do. Bill is also no slouch, there is plenty of footage of him on Youtube doing quite well in the game.

I'm fully expecting the next character to be either Master Chief or Goku at this point. 

Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates was announced for the game!!

Also...

BAYONETTA!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH

Bayonetta is someone i literally never expected to actually see show up in Smash. I mean, i guess there's a precedent for M-rated characters with Snake, but this is Bayonetta. Also seriously impressed at how many of her native game systems are being preserved for her appearance in Smash, she looks like a ton of fun. I need that Bayonetta amiibo.

Corrin, on the other hand, has a really goofy looking character design, but he seems to have some interesting mechanics. I think Smash is reaching critical mass on FE characters though, he's number six.

Not just exclusive, but Nintendo-published, and it had a remake of the first one bundled with it at retail.

I am so happy that Bayonetta made it in as the last character and the winner of the Smash Ballot!

That means I am a winner, my choice won!  :woohoo:

Actually, everybody loses, because Waluigi wasn't chosen.