tegan

Super Smash Bros. (Spoiler: Snake Kills Ganondorf)

I'm the worst. I just preordered the WiiU version today. I told myself I wouldn't buy it until January.

I didn't even make it to the release date  :getmecoat

Finally got around to playing Smash Wii U. The graphics are amazing and 8 player is a blast! I only had three friends with me though so we played 4v4 against computers. Didn't try out Smash tour. I kinda forgot about it, but I heard it's kinda boring anyway eh?

I suck. I suck so much. 10 years have passed and I thought my skills would remain. I can't even tilt attack any more! 

Is there seriously NO WAY AT ALL to set a default control scheme. Playing single player and having to select your name every single time I go into a new mode is so fucking tedious. I understand it not selecting a name for you in multiplayer situations, but when I'm playing alone JUST LET ME SELECT A DEFAULT NAME THAT IS SELECTED EVERY TIME! :( :( :(:tdown: :tdown:

Other than that, holy shit this is fantastic! I've only had one local multiplayer match so far, so I've been blasting through some of the single player stuff. It's excellent! Event mode is fantastic. Smash Tour with CPUs was not fun, though...

Is there seriously NO WAY AT ALL to set a default control scheme. Playing single player and having to select your name every single time I go into a new mode is so fucking tedious. I understand it not selecting a name for you in multiplayer situations, but when I'm playing alone JUST LET ME SELECT A DEFAULT NAME THAT IS SELECTED EVERY TIME! :( :( :(:tdown: :tdown:

That bugs me too. Also I'd like to set default smash to stock, rather than time. Might be a way, but I've not figured it out yet.

Super fun! Can't decided on a main yet.

I have always mained Samus. She's still good in this one, though I'm doing the old "go through classic with every single character" to get a feel for everybody. I'm super excited for New Years Eve now, when I will actually have 7 other Smash-literate people in my house. Gonna get a GCN adapter and see what happens!

Is there seriously NO WAY AT ALL to set a default control scheme. 

Yeah, this is especially frustrating coming from the 3DS version where it defaulted to a given control scheme and color palette for each character. Pretty disappointing, but potentially they'll add this in with a future patch? 

I've been really liking this game. I've played quite a bit of it online against a friend a state over, and it's really fun, especially since you can turn items to low, and there's juuuuuust enough to keep it a little chaotic. They totally nerfed Falco in this game, my old main, so I've settled on Zero Suit Samus. I also like to swap in Mr. Game & Watch and Link, who are not great, just because I've always played Link (white tunic) and Mr. Game and Watch has the all-time best taunt (bell) (sorry, "Show Me Your Moves").

I went from Pikachu to Young Link to skipping a generation. Toon link doesn't have the same feel as young link, and N64 pikachu is best pikachu. Falco seems to feel a little different now too.

I'm leaning towards Villiager and Geninja though. 

Until recently I've been trying to main Zelda, since I really like her playstyle and she's stronger in this game than in any previous games (teleport KOs do not get old). Unfortunately, despite her buffs, she's still low bottom-tier, and I'm just getting good enough where that lack of relative power is acutely felt. :/

I'll keep playing her, I still think her moveset is cool, but I'm also looking for a main that doesn't feel like such an uphill battle to win with. Palutena has a similar playstyle and is much more competitive, apparently, but I feel no connection to the character. 

King Dedede is growing on me. Every hit of that hammer feels great. Also, my candidate for best taunt in the game is actually Dedede's crouch:

screen-8.jpg

I've only played a little bit, but they've messed with the timings of Marth and Yoshi, my two mains, so I started shopping around. I've discovered that Little Mac is basically a harder-hitting Captain Falcon with a counter move like Marth. If I actually owned a copy, he'd definitely be my main, although Lucina is okay.

Yoshi is widely accepted in the competitive community to be one of the best characters, so stick with him a bit more! Marth definitely got the short end of the stick though. Little Mac is deceptive in a way; a lot of newcomers see him as being really strong but he has such poor recovery and aerial game, that according to Sakurai's data on For Glory, Little Mac actually has the lowest win percentage.

Yoshi is widely accepted in the competitive community to be one of the best characters, so stick with him a bit more! Marth definitely got the short end of the stick though. Little Mac is deceptive in a way; a lot of newcomers see him as being really strong but he has such poor recovery and aerial game, that according to Sakurai's data on For Glory, Little Mac actually has the lowest win percentage.

Yeah, I noticed that about Little Mac, but I'm on a high enough level compared to anyone else I know around here that I could just dodge and counter, rather than get hit. If I played online, I know that strategy would fall apart, but I can't even really imagine playing Smash online? Smash is for friends.

I loathe Little Mac. He's just the opposite of my playstyle. Really feeling villager after playing last night. His pocket move is just great. I managed to pocket a mega man's fully charged beam in one-on-one and then hit him with it after doing a bit more damage. Felt super good. 

The tree is annoying. If you get the hit, you're basically guaranteed a KO, but any player who knows what's going on will just steer clear of it. 

The online is pretty good, although I don't think there's any match making. I got matched up against a couple of people who are on my (fairly low) level, and against one girl who absolutely annihilated me - as in she got 3 KOs with me doing a grand total of 40% damage. That was frustrating as hell!

As a Toon Link main all through Brawl, I am mostly playing Little Mac and loving it. He's pretty much the opposite of Toon Link in every way which makes it kind of an adventure. I went into the game planning to get into Palutena or Wii Fit Trainer, but neither of them can match how fun Mac's raw power is.

Overall probably the best entry in the series IMO. Online has been a blast and I'm looking forward to getting some friends over for 8-player.

The tree is annoying. If you get the hit, you're basically guaranteed a KO, but any player who knows what's going on will just steer clear of it. 

This is what makes Smash so good - if you have an area of the stage that people are going to steer clear of, you control that area. Duck Hunt is all about this - I was watching some high level competitive play last night where a dude was using the can in a similar way. The can's presence allowed him to essentially keep people away from that area, and so he could hide and skulk around there, daring people to try to come in and attack. With Villager, if you fiddle around near the tree, people are either going to have to get close, or else send ranged attacks, which you can pocket. 

This is what makes Smash so good - if you have an area of the stage that people are going to steer clear of, you control that area. Duck Hunt is all about this - I was watching some high level competitive play last night where a dude was using the can in a similar way. The can's presence allowed him to essentially keep people away from that area, and so he could hide and skulk around there, daring people to try to come in and attack. With Villager, if you fiddle around near the tree, people are either going to have to get close, or else send ranged attacks, which you can pocket. 

Very, very good point. My preferred play style is to pick my fights which is generally why I prefer faster characters. I just need more practice, I still have that horrible feeling where I know I should be better, but I'm not. 

Kinda like going back to play an instrument you've not touched in years, then realising that you can't do the same things you could when you put it down. It's a shitty feeling!

I loathe Little Mac. He's just the opposite of my playstyle. Really feeling villager after playing last night. His pocket move is just great. I managed to pocket a mega man's fully charged beam in one-on-one and then hit him with it after doing a bit more damage. Felt super good. 

The online is pretty good, although I don't think there's any match making. I got matched up against a couple of people who are on my (fairly low) level, and against one girl who absolutely annihilated me - as in she got 3 KOs with me doing a grand total of 40% damage. That was frustrating as hell!

Villager is absolutely my favourite newcomer (but online, mostly I play as C. Falcon because I am more confident with him). Don't forget that while you have the tree up, you can use the axe any time you want, not just to cut the tree. It's a very strong attack that comes out much faster than your normal F-smash attack, but is a bit weaker and can't be charged. But it is FAST. Also the tree sprouting has a huge and extended hitbox too. The tree overall is quite versatile! Pocket is great because you are actually invincible during the duration of the pocket. You can even defend yourself from Final Smash attacks with pocket.

Until recently I've been trying to main Zelda, since I really like her playstyle and she's stronger in this game than in any previous games (teleport KOs do not get old). Unfortunately, despite her buffs, she's still low bottom-tier, and I'm just getting good enough where that lack of relative power is acutely felt. :/

I'll keep playing her, I still think her moveset is cool, but I'm also looking for a main that doesn't feel like such an uphill battle to win with. Palutena has a similar playstyle and is much more competitive, apparently, but I feel no connection to the character. 

King Dedede is growing on me. Every hit of that hammer feels great. Also, my candidate for best taunt in the game is actually Dedede's crouch:

I've also been really enjoying King Dedede this version as well. I enjoyed playing him in Brawl, but in this version I think he might be my favorite character to play.

Villager is absolutely my favourite newcomer (but online, mostly I play as C. Falcon because I am more confident with him). Don't forget that while you have the tree up, you can use the axe any time you want, not just to cut the tree. It's a very strong attack that comes out much faster than your normal F-smash attack, but is a bit weaker and can't be charged. But it is FAST. Also the tree sprouting has a huge and extended hitbox too. The tree overall is quite versatile! Pocket is great because you are actually invincible during the duration of the pocket. You can even defend yourself from Final Smash attacks with pocket.

Yeah I've been abusing the axe, and I'm getting my hand back into tilt attacks. Villager's smash is very easily punishable; it has a long delay from input followed by a long delay once it's done, coupled with poor reach. I feel like it hits hard for his weight category though.

I'm having a little trouble edge guarding with him. My instinct is to throw down a tree, but it takes too long in some cases. The fireworks up smash is pretty good for the edge guard, but it's easily avoidable. What do you do?

I didn't know you could defend from final smashes! That's pretty cool! 

I'm torn between DK and Charizard as my second character. I like DK a lot more now, compared with 64 and melee, but I suck with his aerial down ability. Find it real hard to time. Charizard's flare blitz is just gravy though. His forward tilt has some great reach too. 

If Dedede (who I will hereby refer to by his dopey smash community abbreviative nickname, D3) had a decent approach option, or if his Gordo projectiles didn't bounce back when struck, then he would be perfect. He would be a perfect penguin king. As he is, he's probably still my fav.

Link is really good in this game, which is notable only because (as far as I can tell) he's never been good in an official Smash game until now. I prefer him over Toon Link, which surprised me. He feels so much nimbler, and less helpless when your opponent manages to get past your barrage of projectiles.

I've not tried Link. He's usually my go to character to learning. After seeing 11/12 players as Link in MK8 I decided to avoid the character. Playing Villager makes me want to play animal crossing again.

Yeah, I think Link has been buffed in a good way, especially since I always preferred him to Toon Link. Toon Link was quicker, but had no decent kill options, which makes for a tedious fight. I still find Link to be pretty cumbersome, and getting off a decent hit is always tough, but at least his projectiles are a little more powerful.

I'm having a lot of fun with Bowser Jr. (as Wendy, and I'd be interested to see who everyone picks as their Bowser Jr. character), because he's/she's pretty strong, but also has that great little go-kart to use to charge into a scrum. Damn, this game, when played with people who aren't dicks/overly competitive, and at your skill level, is a damn blast. 

I'm unsure if I have everyone's NNID in here. The WiiU thread hasn't been updated in a while, but it'd be great to play with some thumbs if they're online. 

Shame the WiiU doesn't notify you if one of your friends is online, because I've probably missed more than one chance.

Link was always my main just because I think he's fun and I like the little quirks he has that other characters don't (such as 2 consecutive forward A smash attacks and blocking stuff with his shield if you stand still).  I liked Link more than Toon/Young Link because those characters annoy me.  Nice to hear he got a buff in the new Smash.