tegan

Super Smash Bros. (Spoiler: Snake Kills Ganondorf)

I'm feeling like certain Amiibos for characters who aren't in Mario Kart 8 will add them to Mario Kart 8 (esp. with Link showing up already). Wii Fit Trainer clearly has to be implemented with Wii Fit U, but I have *no idea how* (you can create a custom routine, tie it to WFT, and then use that to transfer your profile if you go to a friend's house and... play Wii Fit U?).

Big ol' WHO KNOWS

I really hope that the inevitable Game & Watch Amiibo is just a stand with a silhouette cut out of a sheet of black plastic, the kind thin and hard enough that you could probably cut yourself on it.

There really are so many unknowns about how Amiibos will be implemented in Nintendo's games.

If every Amiibo is supported on every game with support for Amiibos, will every Nintendo game just become a big ridiculous Nintendo museum like Smash is? Mario Kart 8 is already slowly introducing some non-Mario characters, is that a sign of things to come?

I kind of hope it isn't, there's something to say for Nintendo's disparate franchises retaining their individual identities, but i don't know what else Amiibos will be.

The only franchise I can think of where amiibos make perfect sense is Pokémon. Like, you can save your team to your Pokémon Trainer amiibo and put your data in your friend's Battle Maison, or instantly transfer them over to whatever Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution equivalent comes out on the Wii U. Maybe an individual Pokémon's amiibo gives you an in-game version with an exclusive move. There's so much they could be doing with them in that one series, but they almost certainly won't.

Know what this kind of reminds me of? Does anyone else remember before the Wii came out how Nintendo briefly touted that the Wiimote had 8MB of onboard storage? It was meant for transferring Miis and save data over to friends' systems. Only the Mii transfer feature was ever implemented, and nobody really used it. Now it's just a weird legacy thing that inexplicably still exists.

I'm pretty sure the Mii transfer thing worked. I remember my girlfriend at the time bringing her Mii over to my machine.

So this is the first Smash Bros game that i have approached as if it were a real fighting game rather than a big elaborate museum of Nintendo nonsense with a button mashing game affixed to it. As a result, i think i've actually fallen into the "NO ITEMS, FD ONLY" side of the argument. You know what though? I am enjoying this game so much.

Also, given the above change of opinion, I think it is awesome that there are FD variants for every stage.

I feel similarly, but I wish there was a Battlefield version of stages too. Or at least a way to play on Battlefield in For Glory matches.

Know what this kind of reminds me of? Does anyone else remember before the Wii came out how Nintendo briefly touted that the Wiimote had 8MB of onboard storage? It was meant for transferring Miis and save data over to friends' systems. Only the Mii transfer feature was ever implemented, and nobody really used it. Now it's just a weird legacy thing that inexplicably still exists.

I used this one time I think! Can you still do this on the WiiU?

I really like the idea of training the Amiibo characters to get better, then taking it over to a friends house and watching your Amiibos duke it out. I will probably try and get characters that I don't like playing as. Only problem is so far I can't seem to stick to one character...

I used that Wiimote transfer thing a few times, you could use it to download Miis from the internet and import them to your console which was neat.

I love fighting games and Nintendo and yet had never played a Smash Bros until I bought this at the weekend, I don't know how I managed that either. At first I just found it immensely confusing and even more of a mess than Marvel vs Capcom but I plugged away for a few hours and I think I get it now! I like that I don't know who's considered good or really how to play it so I've been enjoying learning it myself and seeing what I can make work for me, right now I'm doing OK by cuting it up with Kirby and Toon Link but there's loads of characters I haven't touched. It might be the first legitimately good single-player fighter and every time I switch it on there's a neat wee thing I discover that makes me smile - a piece of music, a stage, a bonus game. Lovely stuff. I just wish I was playing it in HD surrounded by Amiibos but I will be soon enough.

I feel similarly, but I wish there was a Battlefield version of stages too. Or at least a way to play on Battlefield in For Glory matches.

There are also no-hazard variants of a lot of the stages already in the game that would be totally viable alternatives for competitive play if they were selectable, but they only show up in All-Star mode and - under some difficult to infer conditions - can apparently override their equivalents in normal versus play.

There's a lot of strangeness about this game. (Of course there is.)

Would anybody here be interested in organizing some matches?

Could be an awful mess, might be tons of fun. The netcode in the game is so unpredictable, it could end up either way.

What's your friend code? What name do you use on the 3DS? I added a bunch of people from here some time back, but everybody uses different names so i have no idea who's who.

Hm.. my name is Jon on there, but NNId (isn't that used for 3DS now??) is BigJKO. I'll check it all out when I get home!

Hm.. my name is Jon on there, but NNId (isn't that used for 3DS now??) is BigJKO. I'll check it all out when I get home!

No, you still have to register friends with your friend code. All the NNID thing did was link store accounts, I think. I'll find mine tonight and post it.

Edit: the other person has to add your friend code in order for you to see them. So either they don't love you or their not online ;)

I apparently do have BigJKO on my friend's list, then.

Finally got the game! Before I left for work this morning, I smashed some trophy boxes or something. O:

So who all has it right now? Should we organize a time to do some games? If we end up with more than four people, or people that want to do itemless FD 1v1's, we could probably also organize into different lobbies with relative ease as long as we're all set up on eachother's friends lists. (Also worth pointing out that Nintendo has confirmed that there will be scheduled service interruptions all along next week.)

Edit: It's also worth clarifying whether or not people would want to allow customized characters, which are usable in online friends matches, the toggle for it is there. (Or, for that matter, whether Mii characters should be considered to be allowed. If you disable custom characters, Miis can still come in with their custom movesets, just not their stat-boosting items. Whereas normal characters can't use either if the custom characters toggle is off.)

Personally, i'm against custom characters, but i'm fine with the Miis. (The brawler Mii is ridiculous though.)

What the hell are they doing that requires taking down the service for 10 hours a night every night for a whole week, and during US primetime?

I don't know, but they've been really shitty at scheduling these interruptions. Their multiplayer matchmaking was already down for four hours last sunday, and it started at 6pm pacific.

I'd love to play, and I vote for no custom characters, but sure, Miis. I also tend to vote no items, but I'm a dork who thinks that the item frequency is way, way too high. I don't need final destination. I'm also actually fine with anything, considering I'll probably not do too great. 

I'd love to play, and I vote for no custom characters, but sure, Miis. I also tend to vote no items, but I'm a dork who thinks that the item frequency is way, way too high. I don't need final destination. I'm also actually fine with anything, considering I'll probably not do too great. 

We're of a similar mind on this, then.

Anybody want to do some matches over the weekend then? What time would be good? I'm on pacific time, which probably makes things rather limiting for european folk. Intercontinental connections might also make the possibiliy of a low-latency fight pretty tenuous for anything other than a 1v1.

I picked this up the other day, and having not played a Smash Bros game since the N64 original (which I never played very much to begin with), I'm finding that I'm pretty bad at it.  I'm really enjoying it a lot though, despite not really knowing what I'm doing at any given point in time.  At the moment I'm just playing through the classic mode with each character trying to figure out who I like playing as before I even think of jumping into some multiplayer - but does anyone have some fancy tips and tricks (cue beats) for a new player?  

I picked this up the other day, and having not played a Smash Bros game since the N64 original (which I never played very much to begin with), I'm finding that I'm pretty bad at it.  I'm really enjoying it a lot though, despite not really knowing what I'm doing at any given point in time.  At the moment I'm just playing through the classic mode with each character trying to figure out who I like playing as before I even think of jumping into some multiplayer - but does anyone have some fancy tips and tricks (cue beats) for a new player?  

The main thing I think a new player should focus on is movement in this game. This game clearly shows its nintendo roots by being a hybrid of a platformer game as well as a fighting game. So why is movement so important? The aim is to knock the opponent off the stage rather than to deplete their health bar. This means positioning relative to the stage is extremely crucial. A smash attack that hits towards the right will likely not defeat the opponent if you are standing on the left side of the stage. Likewise, an attack that hits upwards is more likely to KO when you are on a platform above the main stage rather than on the ground. Therefore, a good player will always be mindful of where they are on the stage and use that to their advantage.

Another reason movement is important is because many attacks will hit your opponent away from you. This means to effectively follow up an attack, you must be able to quickly close-in on your opponent so you can continue the assault before they have a chance to re-orient themselves. This means mastering the timing for jumps and dashes or rolls, and also being able to read which direction your opponent is likely to move to try to avoid you. 

Getting used to shielding and dodging is also important. If you want, you can add my friend code and we can practise together, since I'm in Australia too so the lag will be minimal.

Well, For Glory 1v1 has been rather humbling, i'm sitting at around a 30-35% win rate after over a hundred fights.

Also, i am terrible at Smash.

Edit: Also, after dozens of hours with the game, i've realized that if you customize a character from the custom character option in the smash run menu, you are given extra customization options that pertain exclusively to smash run, options that - even on presets that have been set up with those extra options - will appear invisible in the normal character customization menu. So that's some dumb UI, but having goofy screen-clearing supers makes smash run way more entertaining.