tegan

Super Smash Bros. (Spoiler: Snake Kills Ganondorf)

So who bought Smash Bros?

I have been playing it pretty solidly over the last couple of days and it's pretty ace. My initial impressions of the multiplayer is that little mac is a little OP ass-hat.

But it's still a lot of fun. I like the challenge picture thing, that's a neat idea for keeping me addicted to the game, as well as trying new players out. The control scheme still feels fucking weird, but i recon it'll just take time before i get over that. I think I'll have the same problem on the WiiU too.

It'd be cool to have an idle fight sometime, if people are up for it. No Lil' mac.

I've been playing it pretty solidly. The online seems a lot  more stable than yesterday. I've been mostly playing Falcon and Pikachu, I don't think I've seen another Pikachu online yet though. Friend code:1478 4050 5961

I have it, although at the moment I'm just terrible at the game. There are so many fighters, and they've been tweaked in so many ways. It seems like Falco has been nerfed, which is pretty sad, since he was the character I played at most often in the original game. I've been playing as Zero Suit Samus quite a bit, since she has some of the power moves and speed Falco used to have. 

Damn, though, if this isn't a really polished package. 

As much as I want to pull the trigger one the 3ds one, cause hey it's OUT. I'll be waiting for the Wii U version as I don't need to have multiple systems to play locally.

Now if only Nintendo would actually throw a date out there. 

I think I've resigned to accepting that the Wii U version is not going to be a "Holiday 2014" game. I mean, "Holiday 2014" is like six weeks away and there's still no indication of a release date.

Yeah, I've almost convinced myself to just grab Smash 3DS the next time I'm near a store that sells it..  :devil:

Must.. should.. resist.. Cannot... Ok, whatever. So I play some Smash 3DS and get a bit pumped for Smash before playing the gorgeous version with friends on my Wii U this.. "holiday."

I'm assuming that they're going to announce it's release in like, a few weeks, and it'll be out late November. I think they've realized that the 3DS version is advertisement for both, really, and there are a lot of people who are waiting for the WiiU version. If they had announced a hard date for the WiiU version, it'd just cut into their own sales for the 3DS game.

Also, a few quick observations:

- The game needs to provide an option to reduce the number of items that are spawned. Right now, it's too many items. They're fun, and I want them on, but they spawn so much it ends up just being "quick get to the item, quick, quick".

- There are some levels where the level dangers are a little too frequent and annoying. For instance, the Mega Man stage has the yellow devil, and it's insanely annoying, since there's not much you can do to avoid it. Similarly, the Mario 3D Land level has a long stretch where there's only a few platforms, and the central platform is a rotating Bowser head which you can't get a grip on at all. Again, I'm not a Final Destination Only guy, it's just tedious to continually die for a dumb reason like that.

- The lag has only hit me when trying to play with my buddy on the other coast. For a friend who's a few states away, it played perfectly, but we were only doing two-vs-two. 

- There is a switch to turn off individual items, which is good, because there are two different items which just pick you up and carry you to your death (the beetle from Skyward Sword and the Galaga ship). This is pretty bullshit. 

Bought the game on cartridge and it locked my 3DS inside of an hour. Then it got real weird, because i had to reboot the system multiple times to get it to recognize that there was a cartridge slot. (There wasn't even the empty cartridge slot icon on the UI, it was a blank space. I have never seen or heard of anything like this happening.)

Once my 3DS got whatever that was out of its system, the game has subsequently run fine and without issue, but there's some weird voodoo going on with that game, i'm quite certain. (No other game on the 3DS, for example, fully reboots the system when you quit out to the home screen.)

I had a bunch of three-player online matches and was genuinely surprised to see how playable it was, the netcode is actually quite respectable. If somebody's connection is rough, it seems like it can get pretty bad, but the average match was pretty solid.

Shulk is great, my favorite character right now.

because there are two different items which just pick you up and carry you to your death (the beetle from Skyward Sword and the Galaga ship). This is pretty bullshit. 

You can button mash your way out of these two items. I do agree though, they are bullshit.

I don't own a 3DS, so I haven't played this yet, but can someone explain to me why Dark Pit is a character? Is that something anyone wanted?

I don't own a 3DS, so I haven't played this yet, but can someone explain to me why Dark Pit is a character? Is that something anyone wanted?

Masahiro Sakurai really, really likes Kid Icarus.

That's really the only explanation for it, there's also a ton of Kid Icarus songs on the soundtrack.

I mean, i think i liked Uprising more than most people, but i still find it weird how over-represented it is in Smash 4.

Same reason Lucina and Dr Mario are characters.

Clones are easy.

That's pretty much it.

Sakurai also really likes Kirby, to the extent that he created and provides the voice of King Dedede ...which is probably why Subspace Emissary had Dedede save the day and an extensive sequence where you can only play as Kirby.

I've been playing for a little bit, and I must say, I really, really miss having a c-stick. Not being able to dash into an up-smash, or being able to forward-air while moving backwards, among other things, is really hurting my games. Control issues aside, it's gonna be nice to have this next time I go to a convention.

Also, I'm happy that two of the characters I care about have been buffed from their terrible, heart-breaking, Brawl incarnations, namely, Captain Falcon and (real) Samus, though right now I've mostly been playing as Lucina, basically just because she looks cool and is voiced by Laura Bailey.

Masahiro Sakurai really, really likes Kid Icarus.

This is real nepotism in the gaming industry right here. He could've brought brought back Mewtwo or added in another F-Zero character finally or I don't know, something, but nope, we get friggin' Dark Pit.

Hell, I liked Dark Pit as a character in Uprising, but c'mon.

We did not get Dark Pit in lieu of Mewtwo. We got Dark Pit in lieu of an alternate costume for Pit.

Hahaha, good ol' Luigi.

Even though my hands are cramping up from holding my 3DS, I'm having a lot of fun. I'm struggling to beat people in the 1v1 For Glory mode though. Those guys don't mess around.

When they originally announced the 2ds I thought it was kind of dumb, but now I know more people who have a 2ds than have a 3DS. Everyone I know who picked up a system just for this game went with a 2ds.

Can anyone explain to me why Marth/Lucina's side-B attack sometimes just seems to fizzle and not do anything at all? Like, they'll swing once, maybe twice, aaaaaaand then nothin'. Spam the hell out of the button, turn it up/down, nothin'. It seems to randomly choose when to be a combo and when not.

I have been having that issue as well, but i'm not sure it's the game. I think it's a finicky analog stick messing up inputs, because i've had issues with the 3DS's analog stick dropping inputs in other games under specific use circumstances.

I have been having that issue as well, but i'm not sure it's the game. I think it's a finicky analog stick messing up inputs, because i've had issues with the 3DS's analog stick dropping inputs in other games under specific use circumstances.

So, I finally got some help on this from others. Turns out, we're just doing it wrong more than likely.

First off, slow down: You're just wanting to combo at the pace of the animations. Go into training mode to see how fast you can make that, but don't spam. Bad plan.

Second, the up/down part only matters for the final(fourth) hit. If you're still holding to the side, you'll do a wide slash to the side. If you're holding up, you'll do an up-slash that's similar to a smash. If you're holding down, it does the fast-attacks that seem to add up to 10% in just that part of the combo alone.

So if my numbers are correct, the combo total should do ~23% when done properly if you don't go through your enemy.