tegan

Super Smash Bros. (Spoiler: Snake Kills Ganondorf)

Guys, I was really unsure about getting Smash Brothers, but now I see that AKB48's Mii's are in a promo for it, I'm completely sold.

Nintendo do weird things? Although this trailer will probably get more people buying it than anything else they've put out (in Japan, at least).

Who's your favourite member of AKB48 guys? Mine's the one on the left.

Wait, that article says they're going to stream 8 hours of stuff on Twitch. I hope that at some point during those 8 hours they indicate when the WiiU game is going to drop, although from all of the screenshots and videos of the 3DS version, I'm more excited about that. 

I think that people are talking about this in the 3DS thread, but the demo for this game is out for "select platinum members," and while the demo is pretty sparse, it's just so good to play a portable Smash Bros. game. I think that the only time it's a little tough to follow is when the game zooms out to get all of the characters on screen, but I assume that the levels in the game were designed to avoid that if possible. Ugh, I really wish I were better at Smash Bros. 

0qdHwXe.gif

Yesssssssssssssssss.

I can't wait to get this game October please come faster thanks.

If you were a platinum Nintendo Club member last you probably got sent 4 codes for early access to the demo. My coworker was one of these people, and I got a code, and this game is pretty cool. One of the items is a Galaga bug/spaceship thing and that's cool.

Man, I didn't know how rare they were and posted about it on Twitter and gained a ton of followers... I guess I have to give them away now? XP

Is the Platinum club something like the European "Ambassadors"? I don't even know if Europe has a Nintendo club, but I bought the 3DS early and became an Ambassador. I had no idea how rare the codes are when I offered them online and got my Twitter feed flooded with requests...

I made an improvised contest of "The fastest typer wins" and it was a pretty fun experience... Although people are still asking for a code.

gW2Dl53.png

People are willing to pay the full price of a game to be able to play the demo for the game a week before they normally could.

Baffling.

I don't know what is worst, people selling codes for a DEMO or the people paying for them, I don't care, I made a few kids pretty happy today with those codes.

Also, I think I missed something, I could swear I heard Smash Bros was going to be 3DS XL only? Or is the RPG remake whose name I can't remember?

Also, I think I missed something, I could swear I heard Smash Bros was going to be 3DS XL only? Or is the RPG remake whose name I can't remember?

You're thinking of Xenoblade being New 3DS/New 3DS XL-only

I'm afraid to buy it on 3DS and.. I don't know.. be exhausted on playing Smash Bros by the time the Wii U one, the one I actually want, comes out?

I will try out the demo when that arrives, though.. (when is that out for everyone who isn't a special ambassador cool person? On the 19th?)

That's a good point. Don't want to burn out. I just joined a video games society aimed at undergrads just so I have people to play smash with on WiiU.

I basically killed my entire weekend playing the demo, and came to the conclusion that Smash on 3DS is not a super great idea. Am I still going to buy it in October? Yes, because I am A Chump. Is the laggier connection on local multiplayer and lack of ability to harass my friends because we are all staring at Tiny Screens going to hurt how I feel about Smash? Also yes.

I know myself well enough to know that I'll probably end up buying both like an idiot, but the 3DS seems like a much worse fit for Smash Bros. than the Wii U.

I tried out the demo last night and it felt weird playing it. Might be that the 3DS isn't suited too well to the game, but could have just as easily been because I haven't played Smash in years and the controller is not what I'm used to. I did get marginally better I think after playing a few rounds.

But man is Smash boring when your only option is playing against two CPUs out of a pool of six characters!

The demo may be limited, but I think it fits really well - surprisingly well - on the 3DS. The controls are a little bit awkward, but that should be improved in the full version due to customization options. But the game plays super smoothly and is really fun. I don't think I'll get the same "four people on a couch doing ridiculous stuff like Big Blue - Lightning Mode - Only Bunny Hoods on Very HIgh" feeling that I had when I was twelve with Melee, but since I don't own a Wii U, this is a pretty dang good replacement.

I think that when it comes to the controls, I mostly miss the c-stick for smash attack, and I'm excited for the full version since I can swap controls around and flip L and R. I do appreciate, in the demo, that you can go from the bonkers items-on version of battlefield to the items-off flat battlefield. I do think that if someone were playing this on an original 3DS with four players it might be a little hard to follow, but on my XL I've also been surprised by how well it plays. I've also been watching competitive smash bros. people stream the Japanese game, and I think that the community is reacting to it far better than to Brawl, which I think is positive. I'm pretty excited for the full version.

The demo is out for us peasants and boy howdy is Smash Bros. uncomfortable to play on the 3DS. I think I'll just wait for the Wii U version.