Tanukitsune

Catching up with you "retro wishlist".

I may have spoken too soon when I said playing every game I wanted seemed feasible. After finding the fan translation of Mother 3, I found a fan translation of Mohter 1+2 for the GBA... and I got curious and I might be going down a dark path... 

Oh, look! The original Shin Megami Tensai games have fan translations? Dragon Quest too? Oh dear... This won't end well. D8

We have a Hatsworth copy you can probably get. I'd have to check with the missus.

Cool! I'd be much obliged.

I'm hoping one of these days I will find the time to play all these classic CRPGs that I never played back in the day like Planescape Torment, Arcadia, etc. Also during the last GOG sale I picked up the Thief games... we'll see if I ever get around to playing those as well.

I am replaying System Shock 2 though, and I am surprised at how well it is holding up for me personally (after I modified the controls to something more useful).

So I've kind of wanted to play Earthbound Zero (the original Mother for Famicom) for ages and just now discovered that this small company's been making repro carts of it. They're probably expensive as fuck (like triple digit price, given some of the other prices on their site), but damn are they pretty. Probably best to just play the GBA version on an emulator or wait and see if Nintendo ever gets around to finally officially releasing that version they translated decades ago through Virtual Console (not bloody likely).

EeeqLj4.jpg8redcId.jpg

I have an Earthbound Zero repro cart but it looks like this:earthbound_nes_cartridge2.jpg (This is not my picture)

I played it on my NES and it was pretty cool to experience it like that. It was no where as fancy as the one you posted. I used www.nesproductions.com but I don't know if that guy is still active. I had to buy a cart that worked with the game and then send that along with $25, so it really wasn't so bad.

I have to point out how weird the whole concept of reproduction carts feels to me, I can understand some people want a physical copy and want to play it on the original system, but it's still a pirated/bootleg version.

Then again, it's also kinda like having a reproduction of a unique piece of art, you can't have a real Monet, so why not a fake one? *shrugs*

I feel similarly, i would want a real copy of something if it was for the purposes of a collection, but no Earthbound Zero carts were ever actually produced.

The prototype rom exists, but the game was never released. So if you want it as a physical collectible, bootleg carts are your only choice.

I finally started to play Mother 3 and I can already see quite a few reasons Nintendo didn't release it here, but it's spoiler-y so:

-Your mother dies right at the beginning, I don't see NOA releasing a game that looks so "kiddie" with such a tragic start.

-The mermaid transvestite things? Their real name is a mouthful, but seeing that NOA wants kid friendly games, they'd never dare to have them in the game. NOA never released Tingle games, so why would they release this?

First point: see every Disney movie

Second point I agree with. I kind of like the Magypsies as characters, but I really really hate the Okama/Drag Queen stereotype. Lay off poor Tingle though. NOA even had a website poll asking if Freshly-Picked Tingle`s Rosy Rupeeland should be brought over after the game was released in Japan, with "no" being the most popular option. North American audiences just kind of hate Tingle.

I just prefer to avoid emulators whenever possible as I still enjoy playing things on the original console. I have some flash carts for various things, but a good reproduction looks "nicer" on the shelf I suppose.

So I've kind of wanted to play Earthbound Zero (the original Mother for Famicom) for ages and just now discovered that this small company's been making repro carts of it. They're probably expensive as fuck (like triple digit price, given some of the other prices on their site), but damn are they pretty. Probably best to just play the GBA version on an emulator or wait and see if Nintendo ever gets around to finally officially releasing that version they translated decades ago through Virtual Console (not bloody likely).

EeeqLj4.jpg8redcId.jpg

That looks like something from the Criterion Collection of Video Games, which would be awesome if it actually existed.

For those who loved System Shock 2, or simply those who might Shock-curious, GOG have massively discounted their superb restoration of the game to less than $3* at the moment.

What's unique about GOG's version (to the best of my knowledge) is that they've collected together all the official patches - including the 3-player co-op one that came out many years after release - as well as the best of the SShock2 community's tweaks, and bundled them all together into something a bit special. This doesn't include any of the numerous texture replacement packs though, thankfully.

They even do a Mac version!

*that's well under £2 in Real Money

Edit: In my ignorance when I first posted this, I conflated the essential Shtup texture update with the rather less appealing 'Rebirth' character and enemy remodelling mod. Apologies! You should definitely download Shtup.  :tup:

If anybody's looking at playing System Shock 2 for the first time, this thread is worth perusing. There are many words written across many different posts about how to tackle that game with something approaching an optimal understanding of its mechanics.

On a whim ebay hooked me up with a copy of Link to the Past GBA. It's my missing link (sorry) - never played it before. Would have preferred it on home console but portability is just too attractive, especially with some long journeys coming up, and for some reason it's not on 3DS VC yet, even with a sequel just round the corner.

Now, I've got an old GBA lying around but with no backlight and AAs it feels a bit too retro. I could borrow a DS Lite. Or I could take a punt on some SPs and Micros on ebay and see what happens! SP makes most sense (scratch that - using what i've already got makes MOST sense, but that aside...) though there's something compactly appealing about the Micro.

Edit. Punts were taken, outbids were made, bids for other things were made and won. So now I have A Link to the Past AND Super Mario World for my GBA and I'll be using my trusty GBA Phat or borrowing a DS Lite.

I'll be playing Super Mario World for posterity but I'm going in with LOW expectations thanks to Yoshi's Island which I've got on the 3DS Ambassador Programme. I just can't get into that game. I always preferred classic Sonic to Mario and Yoshi's Island is everything that irritates me about Mario x2. Being chained to that baby every time I take a hit is a ballache. I don't like the flutter jump. Perhaps losing some screen on the portable is hindering the experience but I'm just not digging it. It looks lovely though.

Edited by dartmonkey

I've still not played Suikoden 2. Everyone and their dog tells me that it is one of the very best JRPGs ever, but something always seems to distract me. I've had a decent amount of success emulating PS1 games, but no matter how good (see: authentic) I can get a game to look, something indefinable always niggles at me.

I'm just mental I guess

I recently got it for my Vita, but couldn't get very far because the character walks at a snail's pace. I know that's a really shit reason, but it made the tiny amount of traversal feel like an eternity. 

I got Suikoden I-III on the recent PSN Classics sale, although I haven't played them yet. I played Arc the Lad Trilogy first and gave up close to the end of Arc II. :\