Korax

Rogue Legacy

It looks like Chris uses the analog stick in Spelunky, as his item/bomb throwing has a diagonal accuracy that would be hard to achieve on a d-pad.

Does the diagonal that you throw with on Spelunky affect the angle of the throw?!  I had assumed it only used the 4 cardinal directions.   If so...mind blown.

I unlocked the traitor class! And promptly stomped all over the traitor himself!

Seems like a fun class, but... not fun enough to keep playing, unfortunately. Now that the new content's been DEMOLISHED BY YOURS TRULY, I'm done again. Maybe if they do another content patch I'll come back. We'll see. 

Anyway those bosses were ass hard JESUS CHRIST. Also the easiest one was the last one.

Does the diagonal that you throw with on Spelunky affect the angle of the throw?!  I had assumed it only used the 4 cardinal directions.   If so...mind blown.

I'm pretty sure that you can only throw in 8 directions. I think Chris is just really used to that arc and positions himself correctly.

Sorry if this is detailing the thread, but has anyone tried the xbone controller on a PC? I heard the d-pad is far better than on the 360 controller.

The newer Xbox360 controllers with the "transforming" dpad are supposed to be pretty nice, but I haven't actually used one.

The newer Xbox360 controllers with the "transforming" dpad are supposed to be pretty nice, but I haven't actually used one.

It's better, but not incredibly better. If you disassemble the controller, you'll find that the actual interface on the controller is exactly the same with it's weird membrane buttons and the only difference is that the pudgy d-pad module on top is replaced with the transforming one. The directions feel much more distinct, but it still doesn't compare to a Sony d-pad or something like that.

I recently got the 360 controller with a PC dongle , and tried Rogue Legacy with it. I did decidedly worse. The D-Pad on that controller is notoriously bad, and with the analog stick I can't go forward-back-forward fast enough to get the air control the game requires to dodge all the enemies. Jumping, using abilities and especially dashing felt way more natural, but the movement didn't feel right for me.

Hmm, I got used to the D-Pad after a while, but then I was a heavy X360 player for several years.

Wow...4 months later I finally bought a PS4 controller. Works like a charm. 

Anyway to the point. This was a game I thought was incredibly average, but now I can actually play it; I'm in love. I'm still learning, and I'm having enough fun running around the castle beating stuff up. 

I think one of the best parts of this game is that as soon as I'm dead, I'm back in. That was a huge weakness for Spelunky in my opinion. 

I've recently got into this via PSN and holy shit it's amazing. I was undecided as people raved about Spelunky which sounded similar and I never liked but in the end the temptation of credit on my account and a release week sale proved too much to resist. The platforming feels good, it's challenging, the way progression works means you always have something to work towards even if you've seen the next boss and been comprehensively ground by it like I was last night. And it's on the Vita! at no additional cost! with the best implementation of cloud saves I've seen yet and that might be the best thing. Ooooh.

I've only beaten on boss yet but after about five hours this might be the best thing I've played all year. A year in which From released an entirely acceptable sequel to my favourite game no less.

I've said it before, and now I'm going to repeat it: the element of persistent progress transforms a roguelike from something I'm not very interested in to something potentially addictive. I feel dumb admitting it, because the whole point of a "proper" roguelike is supposed to be that when you finally make some hard-earned progress or defeat the dragon, all the leveling up was inside you all along, and you actually got better at the game, and that I prefer the manifestation of this as a persistent gold/xp/whatever mechanic admittedly feels like I prefer junk food to haute cuisine. It probably says a ton about me that I'm not satisfied simply by becoming good a a thing, but need constant affirmation and the help of improved armor and unlockable double-jumping to maintain my interest.

I like both methods of roguelikery quite a bit, which makes me the worst human being.

From my post in the Spelunky thread

I think Rogue Legacy is better at giving you that push to continue.  Once you die you have all the gold to spend, which of course puts you back into the game because you've already picked another character and probably want to use the new upgrades/equipment/runes you just bought.  Spelunky on the other hand doesn't have that same sort of endless loop.  The only thing driving you forward is your own enjoyment of the game.  And obviously death in Spelunky is much more permanent since nothing carries over while in Rogue Legacy each life can impact the next in a direct manner.

Naturally it's just a matter of personal preference which one you prefer.  I like starting over from a clean state and working my way up again which Spelunky fits almost perfectly.  I enjoyed the progression in Rogue Legacy but eventually there's a ceiling (which admittedly you don't hit until around NG++) and once I reach that point I don't feel a drive to continue.

I guess I don't even really think of comparing Spelunkys to Rogue Legacys.  To me, one is the modern embodiment of that arcade spirit (Spelunky) while the other is a groundhog day like exploration of the same space with steadily increasing knowledge (skills/equipment). 

I enjoy both quite a bit for different reasons.  Necrodancer actually embodies both, with a mode that includes persistent upgrades and a mode that is like Spelunky.  I find myself alternating between the two when I play. 

I think the only reason I compare the two a lot is because they are both rogue-like 2D platforming games I played in late 2013/2014. It's not really a great connection, it's rather like comparing Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and The Last of Us. 

I also think that the major difference between the two is that Rogue Legacy makes me feel like I'm developing skills, even when I'm not. Spelunky makes me feel like I'm bad. It's partly because I looked at youtube videos of Spelunky and saw people doing crazy stuff, while the only thing I knew of RL before I played it was listening to praise on podcasts. 

Necrodance really intrigues me, but I've come to realise I hate playing non-strategy games on my PC. So what I tend to do is pick up stuff in a humble bundle for PC, if I like it, I then double dip and grab it for a console. Means it could be a while before I seriously play that.

I think the only reason I compare the two a lot is because they are both rogue-like 2D platforming games I played in late 2013/2014. It's not really a great connection, it's rather like comparing Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and The Last of Us. 

I also think that the major difference between the two is that Rogue Legacy makes me feel like I'm developing skills, even when I'm not. Spelunky makes me feel like I'm bad. It's partly because I looked at youtube videos of Spelunky and saw people doing crazy stuff, while the only thing I knew of RL before I played it was listening to praise on podcasts. 

While Spelunky and Rogue Legacy are different in many key ways, there are also enough similarities that a comparison between the two is valid, at least in my opinion.  They are definitely more different than alike though.

I think maybe one of the reasons you feel that you're developing more in Rogue Legacy than Spelunky is because Rogue Legacy is much more transparent about that.  The RPG style stat increases and equipment make it much clearer when you're capable of taking on a new area or boss.  With Spelunky, since all the improvements are internal to the player, it's harder to see if you're getting better at all.  I like both of those things but I personally find the internal improvement type to be more satisfying in the long run.

I think your analysis is correct. It's more of a personal failing that I find Spelunky more frustrating, despite the progress being equally slow between the two. The difference is I've put far, far more hours into Rogue Legacy. 

Changing the topic slightly. Them boss remixes are hard. I don't think I'll ever have skill to beat most of them. The lack of health makes them incredibly tough - the Khdir (?) remix allows you to get hit a total of 5 times. I just don't have the dexterity or reaction times to do that. 

Changing the topic slightly. Them boss remixes are hard. I don't think I'll ever have skill to beat most of them. The lack of health makes them incredibly tough - the Khdir (?) remix allows you to get hit a total of 5 times. I just don't have the dexterity or reaction times to do that. 

That I will completely agree with you on.  They are quite difficult.  I've stated this opinion a couple times before but I dislike the remixes.  I don't mind them being challenging, I just dislike that I'm forced to use a specific class with specific skills.  I get what they were going for in trying to get you to think about how to use those classes a bit differently but I find the restriction very jarring in comparison to the main game.  I'm sure I could complete them if I put in the time but I just don't feel motivated to.

I've been trying quite a lot, but in a very unlike-me moment, I died on Khdir for the 20th time in a row and almost threw my Vita across the room. That made me stop. 

Some of the Trophies I'd like to complete. The "Complete the game in 15 lives or less" is an interesting one for me. I'd like to have a crack at that.

I liked this game, but I started to get annoyed by how much it encouraged compulsive replaying. I'm really starting to sour of that 'addictive' quality that a lot of developers go for.

I beat 4/5 remixed bosses. That was probably the most difficult thing I've done in video games, ever. So awesome though. I'm going for the platinum!

Man, seeing people's progress in the game is elucidating something that's made me really frustrated. (Not at you guys, more at...my circumstance.)

As background, I unlocked pretty much everything in the manor by grinding the castle and the forest over and over because I assumed I wasn't powerful enough to go into the Maya or the Land of Darkness yet. 48 hours later and I still only beat the second boss. I distinctly remember being two-shot by anything in the Maya no matter how I configured my character, and I found it so unbearable trying to get a perfect, full-health run through those areas that I just quit. The path I saw to making progress was grinding enough times to unlock all the levels of health and magic up to tank everything. And to be honest the only reason why I thought I maybe didn't finish the game is because I had only found the first three columns of equipment. The fact that there were slots in the UI made me think there was more to the game, but not enough that I thought something was amiss. Until now I never looked at the wiki or heard of anyone else's experience with the game, so I just assumed my gaming experience was a complete one. 

Which is why I feel kinda like I pulled the carpet under my own feet now that I know that the game is actually beatable. Until now I had just assumed the unfilled UI slots for equipment were some blend of event-based collectibles (like Pokemon) or DLC that I didn't have. I'm kinda angry that I managed to get as much unlocked as I did because the game's space of play humored my patience for that long. That and the natural end that I found, that the generations of warriors just never overcome this castle, was enough for me. Blarg it's so weird being angry at oneself. 

I haven't played the game for probably a year now but I might go back and see if I can't learn how to actually play this game. I'm glad to hear that the game isn't literally just grinding two areas for hundreds of generations until some magic happens, and I guess I'm laughing at myself for having so much of a propensity to grind for gold. 

There is actually an achievement for beating the game with 15 lives or less. Suffice to say, it's really difficult, but beating the game doesn't require grinding, it can be done with skill.

There is actually an achievement for beating the game with 15 lives or less. Suffice to say, it's really difficult, but beating the game doesn't require grinding, it can be done with skill.

Rogue Legacy was one of the games run during AGDQ this year.  I'll bet some good tips could be found there for using as few lives as possible.