Korax

Rogue Legacy

I just tested FRAPS and Media Encoder and Youtube in preparation for the Idle Thumbs PC GTA IV Revivening this Monday, which I probably won't be able to attend, and this is what happened:

Your upgrade choices are really weird, toblix. You have points in expensive-ass shit like Haggle, and the one that gets you more gold, but you have hardly any health!

Maaaan, to be honest, this game looked pretty boring to me for a long time. Not because I hate this kind of game, because the concept is right up my alley... More because it just looks kind of like the core mechanics aren't very interesting? But the way everyone keeps talking about it makes me want to just play it. UGH. U:

What? How can you see that from my test video? Also, my philosophy is to always maximize the use of my money, buying the most expensive thing I can, since I'll never see that kind of money again – and boy was I right!

What? How can you see that from my test video? Also, my philosophy is to always maximize the use of my money, buying the most expensive thing I can, since I'll never see that kind of money again – and boy was I right!

I can tell you have points in Haggle because Charon doesn't take all your gold at the beginning. I can tell you have points in bonus gold because you're getting 14 per drop, rather than the usual 10. And your health max is 186, which is relatively low.

I guess you could be playing miner, though, and be getting the bonus gold and health reduction from that.

Anyways, yeah. That's actually an interesting strategy, getting all the expensive stuff first. I wonder how that works out in the long run, as far as efficiency goes. I definitely felt like getting enough damage to one-shot the early monsters was a huge efficiency boost, because I can run the first few rooms and get a bunch of gold very quickly.

The low HP is due to being a mage.  Getting the bounty upgrades first is a valid approach, I did the same thing.  It's one of those tactics that makes it harder in the short term but pays off in the long run.  Haggle isn't as useful in the beginning though because you won't have a lot of leftover money until the prices go way up and you have 1000+ gold left over after buying everything you can afford.

Yeah, buying the haggle thing and that pogo one felt terrible, because I knew they were useless, and I could've bought tons of health instead.

Use your magic! Spam it! Archmage gets mana back on kill!

You could have basically walked through all those areas with fire shield on and just jumped around and everyone would have died. It doesn't look like you have much in the way of +damage either.

Maaaan, to be honest, this game looked pretty boring to me for a long time. Not because I hate this kind of game, because the concept is right up my alley... More because it just looks kind of like the core mechanics aren't very interesting? But the way everyone keeps talking about it makes me want to just play it. UGH. U:

Did you play the demo? It's plenty long enough to get a feel for whether or not you can tolerate the basic fighting system.

Did you play the demo? It's plenty long enough to get a feel for whether or not you can tolerate the basic fighting system.

pfff who plays demos

I finally got the last achievement last night.  I got all the way to NG+5 before I decided to erase the save and start over.  I then beat it up to NG+3 again.  At this point I've maxed the upgrades and equipment twice and can clear the entire map with several different classes.  Despite all that, it took me this long to beat that stupid carnival game.  Apparently I'm good enough to defeat an entire castle/forest/attic/dungeon full of monsters but I can't hit targets worth a damn.

That carnival game is seriously fucking ridiculous. I think I've only managed like 4/8.

The one I ended up beating wasn't even the knife throwing one.  It was the axe throwing one, and I got it because I discovered you can throw axes before you enter the room and it won't count against you but still they destroy targets.  I'm sure this is cheating but I was frustrated enough I didn't care at that point.

I should make it clear that I really enjoyed the game overall, it was just this one thing that bothered me.

About how many generations does it typically take to play through this game? I'm currently at the year 2696 or so and I still haven't beaten the fourth boss. I feel like maybe I suck.

I've heard people talking about 300 or so generations to beat the game (though I have not played it myself.)

I took about 150 or so generations the first time I beat it.  Subsequent NG+ games took less each time until I maxed everything, at which point it took a lot more because you stop improving but the monsters get stronger.  After I erased the save and started over, it took 80 generations for me to beat it again the first time.

I'm also terrible at this game apparently. I hit a wall about an hour in where I find myself dying before I make enough money to get anymore upgrades. I love the concept of this game, but in practice I'm not getting the same joy out of this as I have with similar roguelike-likes like Spleunky (and yes, awful triple use of like deliberate).

Is there a way to count the generation you're on without scrolling through that whole wall of portraits?

EDIT: Nevermind, just beat the game. 95 children! So maybe I'm great at this game!

I took about 250 generations to beat it, which is similar to what Patrick Klepek did when he played the final boss on a stream.

I got this game when it was on sale this weekend, I don't know even want to know how many generations it took to beat the first boss, but I beat the second boss on my second try.

I do have an internal conflict with the game... I am pretty much anit-grinding and yet, since the game is about seeing how well you do in a run, I'm pretty torn... Usually, I'd just use Cheat Engine to prevent grinding, but yet the challenge does compel me to do it "normally". Hmm, would the game be than much easier if I maxed out my skills? I do feel like like I'd have to raise my stats a lot to even survive an single encounter in the final areas.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought about. As a general rule I dislike grinding, it makes me feel like the designer couldn't be bothered to try and balance a game. Obviously some people enjoy the grind though, so it's just not for me!