Korax

Rogue Legacy

There are others that effectively do nothing as well, such as Baldness, Coprolalia (you swear when you get hurt), Hypochondriac, Stereo Blind, and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome, makes you fart a lot, also makes podcasts funnier).  Colorblindness and nostalgia make the game monochrome and sepia toned, but otherwise have no effect on gameplay.

I can sense this vague air of disappointment that there's not really much to be offended about re: this game's use of 'gay' :D

I'm not disappointed at all, if that's what you're implying.

edit: To clarify, I was wondering if what appears to be the intended message or effect of including a gay trait had inadvertently been subverted by its own existence, which would've been interesting. I wasn't aware there were lots of negative/positive/neutral traits. I'm sorry if I came off as looking to pick a fight with this game or something.

Haha don't worry about it, I think we all know we're a pretty progressive group.

This game has been consuming me, even to the point that I cut back on my SC2 to make room.  It's becoming a problem when my addictions deny one another.

Anyone gotten through to NG+ yet? I'm stuck on the last boss, and it's more fun to try and find as many treasure chests as possible than it is to throw progeny to the meat grinder. Any tips on how you got through would be welcome.

Man, this game. I'm at work, and then suddenly I think «I would really like to be playing some Rogue Legacy right now.» I really like the structure of short, varied loops that slowly move toward a greater goal. My impression of proper roguelikes is that there is absolutely no progress in the game state, which makes it feel pointless, or at least too stressful for me to attempt. The addition of actual progress, and the knowledge that even if I fuck up here, I'll at least get a little closer to the end, makes all the difference to me.

I'm on NG++ and can basically beat the last boss and get to NG+++ any time I feel like.  I've been working on getting everything else first.  I almost have all the stats maxed (3 left at this time), all the equipment, and all the runes.  The bosses are actually easier than the rest of the mobs at this point because every room I enter is filled with projectiles and giant monsters.

As for beating the final boss, here are some tips (not really spoilers but I'll hide them anyway)

Don't bother equiping vampire/siphon runes.  There's nothing to kill except the boss so they're useless.  I recommend one sprint rune, one vault, and the rest retaliation.

As expected, the final boss has 2 forms.  When you beat the first form he drops several health/mana so you can recover somewhat, but the second fight begins right away so be careful.

For the first part, it's mostly a matter of dodging his projectiles.  When you can, hit him once with your sword then dash away before he can hit you back.

For the second part, again it's mostly about dodging his attacks.  I think the second part is actually easier to dodge since you can see the attacks coming easier, but hitting him is harder since he'll phase around.  Watch out for his giant sword when you get close enough to hit him.

ADHD makes you move faster and dodge attacks easier.  Ambilevous can be useful with spells like dagger, chakram, axe, or the dragon's attack since you can run away and attack behind you.

Class tips:

Barbarian for tanking.  Use the shout to clear out projectiles (I think it works in both fights)

Ninja if your crit chance is low, speed and replacement technique help dodge attacks

Assassin if your crit chance is high plus the mist form lets you avoid attacks

Spellthief with blade wall, chakram, or timestop are amazing.  Blade wall and chakram hit multiple times and timestop with spellthief is almost unstoppable.  Spam the magic, get a few hits in for mp, then repeat.

Paladin's blocking is useful.  The statue form is also good if you have the mana.

Half-dragon's flying is great at avoiding attacks since many are ground based.  Your projectile attack lets you hit without getting too close.

I don't recommend the minor, mage, or lich.  The minor is obviously a bad choice for anything but getting money.  The mage has too little health and can't refill mana during the fight.  The lich requires you to build up your hp/mp by killing enemies in the castle first, but you probably won't have full hp by the time you're ready to fight and you're going to want as much health as you can get.

Found out the hard way that this game doesn't support cloud saving, so my desktop at home has none of the progress I've made on my laptop. :(

I want to go for 100% skill/equipment completion, but I've come to the realization that I may have barreled my way through NG+ & NG+2 a bit too quickly. At this point, I can barely survive more than a few rooms in the castle without grace runes active, but they decrease treasure finds, so I haven't been finding any new blueprints. I could probably do a bit of gold grinding and see how higher skills turn out, but it may just be better to delete my progress and start over, because I'd at least feel like I was actually doing something, and I like the game so much that I don't think I'd mind doing so.

I want to go for 100% skill/equipment completion, but I've come to the realization that I may have barreled my way through NG+ & NG+2 a bit too quickly. At this point, I can barely survive more than a few rooms in the castle without grace runes active, but they decrease treasure finds, so I haven't been finding any new blueprints. I could probably do a bit of gold grinding and see how higher skills turn out, but it may just be better to delete my progress and start over, because I'd at least feel like I was actually doing something, and I like the game so much that I don't think I'd mind doing so.

That's probably a good idea.  I started a NG+++ because I cleared out the entire map and the only choices left were suicide or kill the boss.  I have all the stats maxed, all the equipment purchased, and all the runes purchased.  Even with all that, I can't get through just the castle part without at least one grace rune.  I'm also missing the circus achievement and it's driving me nuts.  Stupid clown.

Man, this game is good, but such a time sink. I played the demo for several hours straight -- if you enjoy the demo I suggest upgrading to paid version soon because the demo didn't seem to have the "quick drop" option, without which I find it impossible to do those downward attacks. The full game has much more variety, and its strange that the demo didn't really mention what was missing.

It's a huge time sink because sometimes you just have several runs in a row where you get killed too soon to be able to buy anything next time. I had some when I unlocked Shinobi and Miner and got killed a lot with those guys.

It also depends on player skill a bit too much for my taste, and I have no idea how I'm going to defeat any of the bosses or even the slightly bossier enemies.

But otherwise it's a good game and I imagine I could be playing this for a long time.

Well, So far I've beaten the first two bosses simply because I upgraded to the point where they didn't have much of a chance. While there is a high amount of skill you can just out-stat some things it seems.

Yeah, you can just end up tanking a whole bunch with barbarians and Health upgrades.

It also depends on player skill a bit too much for my taste...

I don't get how this can possibly ever be a bad thing.

Yeah, you can just end up tanking a whole bunch with barbarians and Health upgrades.

or being a lich king/queen w/ conflux and just spam it a bunch and dance around for a while. Which is basically how I beat the forest boss.

I don't get how this can possibly ever be a bad thing.

Well, I've never been awesome at platformers, and this one is so imprecise that I can't imagine beating some areas based on skill. Besides, from the presentation, the game seems much more oriented towards raising stats, but if you don't have good skills, raising the stats will take a lot of time. But actually, maybe this is a perfect combination, I don't know.

But ok, I admit you may be able to raise your stats so much that skill becomes less important. But seems it will take a while to get there. I used to have a lot of near-empty runs, but then I found a few setups which worked for me: barbarian + blood gear, or even lich + blood gear. I can now clear out the main area almost every time (except for a few chests that can't be reached with all characters or require tricky platforming) and most of the forest as well. Haven't tried bosses yet.

Raising the stats will take you so far, skill will take you further, but once you hit NG+ and beyond the game starts throwing so much stuff at you there's almost nothing you can do except equip grace runes.  The bosses at that point actually become the easiest part.

My personal favorite class is the spellthief.  Weaken from a distance with amped up magic, then finish them off with the sword to get the MP back.  I cleared the entire map on NG+++ with a spellthief and chakram.

Hoping this goes on sale during the Summer Sale.  Hearing what people are saying about it has my interest piqued.

So, how is it that the gold you have on your body when you die in the depths of the evil castle also becomes the gold your children inherit?

The only thing I can think of is, maybe the kids tie a long rope around their parent's leg and if the rope stops moving for a couple of days, they pull the body out and take the gold and armor and scribbled last words back to the family mansion. Kind of like the high priest of Israel with the string around his ankle, only a much longer string.

I assumed that in this world the rules of inheritance are tightly defined and the big evil boss returns the corpse, pockets un-rifled, to the town who holds onto it until the next of kin's coming of age party. The concept of an evil world that's so easy to die in, yet has such a tight set rules that even the bad guys follow them really entertains me. It's sort of Discworld-ish.

Either that or the big baddie just enjoys watching one family throw their lives away repeatedly bashing into the ramparts and hands over to gold to encourage the next generation to try again.

If you start picking at the premise it all falls apart pretty quickly. Physical traits are never inherited, but the stuff you take into the castle is. I can't come up with something that wraps all the mechanics up any better, though.

If you start picking at the premise it all falls apart pretty quickly. Physical traits are never inherited, but the stuff you take into the castle is. I can't come up with something that wraps all the mechanics up any better, though.

Physical traits like health and magical ability and stuff are inherited, just not the "special characteristics" stuff, which makes (very general) sense to me. As for equipment I just interpret it as "this equipment is passed down in the family as heirlooms," even though obviously that implies someone is collecting the equipment from the dead body somehow and returning it.

First of all, this is the wrong thread, isn't it? I'm suddenly very confused. The physical traits you upgrade incrementally, aren't those castle upgrades, though, so not technically biological traits to be passed down?

edit: Just realized that inheriting the improved castle does in fact play into the legacy thing, so never mind.

Edited by