Sign in to follow this  
Obscurity

Satellite Reign Kickstarter (Syndicate/Syndicate Wars reborn)

Yes, real time is what separates it from X-COM. That plus a smaller squad. There are separate management/fight parts, at least in the original (I haven't played Syndicate Wars).

They have mentioned the possibility of one of the agents' drugs or abilities being something like Slo-Mo from Dredd, which while not exactly pause or turn-based would give you some more leeway while desperately clicking around to control your four agents in real-time. It was just thrown out as an idea as they were talking though, so no telling if it ends up actually being implemented.

I would like that, it would be a nice way to relieve the helmet fire aspect of the game a bit. It would also be cooler and less of a detriment to the pacing than the ability to give order while paused, which would be another option. I like there being an in-world explanation, along with there still being some time pressure.

Hmm, I'm getting tempted to back this. I wish it was ending after my next payday though.

That's something I'd add to the kickstarter tips list, schedule so the kickstarter ends the first Friday after the start of the month. Hopefully that would catch the most people right after payday :)

I think this looks great, but now that they have funding I'm not gonna back it.  I'll wait and see how things look once it comes out.  I'm not one that was disappointed by the Syndicate reboot, it's actually a fantastic game in the multiplayer co-op, typical awesome Starbreeze from what I've played of their stuff.

I'm not one that was disappointed by the Syndicate reboot, it's actually a fantastic game in the multiplayer co-op, typical awesome Starbreeze from what I've played of their stuff.

I wasn't disappointed in the FPS either. I enjoyed it a good bit, but I would really love to see something more like the original games come out as well.

I enjoyed the Starbreeze game, though I can't help being bummed about how much better a first-person Syndicate could be if it took more significant elements of the old games. The path in the shooter is so extremely narrow, when the open, living city sectors in the original were such a major part of the appeal.

A wider design with some kind of squad tactics but still controlled as a first-person shooter could be a perfectly reasonable extension of Syndicate. Kinda like what they're trying to do with the new X-COM shooter thing, which I don't think looks very good.

My sort of dream version is like open world Rainbow Six or Hidden & Dangerous. I mean, the cyberpunk setting actually contains justification for being able to "possess" and control multiple soldiers, something that always seemed super weird in those games.

I'm pretty sure you play as a ghost in Rainbow Six.

Well, they made the Localization stretch goal of 400k.

The next one that everyone is clamoring for is Environmental Destruction (building leveling, etc.) at 440k. I am doubtful that they'll make that by Sunday but I could be wrong. I almost hope they don't make it so they aren't spread too thin on feature creep.

Ha, the nice part about following a dev team from down under is that when I wake up in the morning here in US EST-land there are updates.

Check out this

to go along with that per-pixel reflection shader screen shot from earlier. They show how they are testing it in the environment. It looks great in motion. It really lends itself to a rainy Bladerunner look I think.

The only games I have backed have been FTL and this. So hopefully it will be a success! The premise and world entice me a lot, not enough cyber punk in games!

Well, they definitely made it. It looks like they will keep the PayPal pledges going for a little longer so they may make the "Russell Zimmerman/more factions" stretch goal.

Now I guess we just wait. I look forward to more updates as they get further into production.

Resurrecting this thread because it was the only non-3MA thread I could find about Satellite Reign.

I got about 3 hours into this last night after getting it in the Humble Monthly Bundle, and I'm really digging it!  Great aesthetics, solid gameplay loop (pick a mission, break in, things go wrong, murder, finish mission, waltz out).  Had a lot of fun just wandering around the first district figuring out the basic gameplay. 

I don't like the fact that you cannot stop playing when on a mission as the whole world resets instantly.

I can see why that would be frustrating, but it seems to be designed to discourage save scumming your way through a mission, which I don't mind.  It forces you to deal with chaos, or be more cautious, rather than just taking a risk and reloading to a minute ago if the risk doesn't pay off.