Sign in to follow this  
melmer

The Walking Dead 400 Days - Open spoiler thread

Tuesday, June 2nd – PlayStation Network (North America)
Wednesday, July 3rd – PC/Mac (Steam, Telltale Games Store)
Friday, July 5th – Xbox Live (Worldwide)
Wednesday, July 10th – PlayStation Network (Europe)
Thursday, July 11th – iOS (Worldwide)

$5 or 400 Xbox doubloons

This is DLC and requires episode 1 to play

I've changed this to an open spoiler thread because there is little to reason for anyone to be here if they haven't already played through both the walking dead and this DLC, amiright?

You changed the thread title.

Also, nice suitable image ;)

Wonderful, I have a pretty big break from work when it comes out for the PC as well.

Has Telltale said when Fables and Walking Dead season 2 are coming out?

I predict a dog, a pregnant lady and a 400 strong herd of zombie alpacas

You changed the thread title.

Yeah, premature thread load

i am definitely getting it on steam as soon as it comes out, i don't know how the whole being able to play it out of order thing will work, but i played the first 5 episodes multiple times so i will have to try that out and see what it is like

Oh shit, that's tomorrow (on PC). Well, I'm off to the supermarket to buy boxes and boxes of kleenex.

pervert!

I am curious if they'll be able to tug on the heart with only 30min long short stories, or perhaps there'll be some kinda continuing thread that'll link all the stories up

Is this the zombie cloud atlas?

The Last of Us got pretty heavy in just 30mins

Well, someone went for the amputee option.

This is really good. Some of the storytelling felt a little too brisk for my taste (in Vince's story I'm asked if I regret what I did without actually knowing any of the backstory of why I did it) and it felt a bit meaner than Season 1 (I feel like in every story of this game, nearly every encounter with a stranger leads to murder or murder attempts. Day-Z inspired?) but it was really good to experience that sharp characterization and dialogue again. 

Couple questions: Does this base anything on what you did in Season 1? Because it informed me that it didn't read any save files from Season 1 (must be some problem with the Steam Cloud, same way I never got 70% of the achievements for beating the game in the first place) but I didn't actually see a single thing that seemed to come from Season 1.

I haven't been following this too closely, so I don't know if this has been covered in press releases, but I'd be a bit disappointed if this is setting up these characters to be the leads of Season 2, and not Clementine. Maybe. Eh, it'll probably be awesome either way?

I'm assuming it should be able to find my Season 1 save games from the cloud? I have meanwhile uninstalled season 1.

Couple questions: Does this base anything on what you did in Season 1? Because it informed me that it didn't read any save files from Season 1 (must be some problem with the Steam Cloud, same way I never got 70% of the achievements for beating the game in the first place) but I didn't actually see a single thing that seemed to come from Season 1.

There were a few references to characters and events from season 1. When playing Shel's story, they mention Vernon and the boat when they're deciding what to do with the blindfolded captive that tried to steal from Roman's group. The old lady, and the two other black guys are from the cancer survivor group in season 1. A slightly more morbid call back to the first season happens near the beginning of Russel's story. If you choose to hide on the side of the road, you end up face to face with the corpse of Carley/Doug depending on who you saved in the first season. That broke my heart. 

I really enjoyed this episode overall though, and I'd be happy to see these characters explored further in the second season.

Yeah, I'm not sure about any of that. But according to this Wiki [WARNING: SPOILERS], the changes are pretty cosmetic and don't affect gameplay.

[EDIT: It'd been too long for me to recognize any of the cancer patients.]

I'll probably replay Season 1 and this all over again when Season 2: Ep 1 gets closer to release. I don't regret any of my choices in S1 and will probably play it the same, but I feel like I screwed up a bit (screwed up as in "didn't play the characters as I wanted to", not "didn't get the ideal endings") with 400 Days.

One interesting thing about 400 Days is that the final outcome based on how you play the stories feels a bit more important to the gameplay in S2 than any given choice in S1 was to future episodes of that. I feel like this will lead to people replaying 400 Days a couple times to get the outcome they want to start S2 with, which seems to be a change from the stated "one playthrough should be fine" that Jake and Sean have talked about. Not that they were the leads on 400 Days, but it definitely struck me as a little different.

Oh shit, I totally hadn't noticed that was Doug! Sorry, Doug!

I really liked this format and almost wish Season 2 was nothing but a different character arc per episode.  By now I don't really have any strong feelings for Clementine and sort of wish they closed that story.

Yeah I really enjoyed this too. The lack of 'gameplay' filler made it all the better in my opinion and the format was a nice change. I didn't play them in any particular order and I felt like it fell together quite well, even if the ending was a little contrived. My only worry is I doubt any of the choices I made will have that much of an impact but since I only seem to care about that afterwards it's not dulled my appetite for season 2.

Oh shit, I totally hadn't noticed that was Doug! Sorry, Doug!

Me neither, it's almost too subtle. I caught the references to the boat and 'the guy with the moustache' though which was pretty funny.

I just finished and really like it a lot. I love short stories so this was right up my alley...I really wish more games would try to do something like this. The thumbs harp on this point all the time on the cast, about how games feel the need to be these hugely scoped projects, but this felt perfect for me. I sat down for about 1-2 hours, and had a very meaningful experience, where in a lot of games, I can sit for 1-2 hours and just go through a mindless slog of repetitive action. Good job Nick, Sean, Jake, and the rest of the Telltale guys!

I really enjoyed the short vignettes. As someone who's gotten way into the comics since playing season 1, this felt way closer to those in tone. Especially in terms of the senselessness, ugliness and brutality. Nate in particular was fantastic in this regard, his facial animations and choreography perfectly sold how unhinged he is.

Seeing all the new mechanics and ways of presenting choices was quite interesting, and some of the choices felt quite difficult and gray. Vince's choice of who to shoot on the prisoner's bus felt so much more difficult with the removal of the explicit time limit. The fact that it basically comes down to a gut decision felt great, and reminded me of my favourite dilemmas in the first season: whether or not to bring Clem to Crawford. When you can make a choice based on familiarity, preference or moral principle, it's easy to commit, but there it felt so nebulous that i couldn't even decide on my first try. The presentation of Shel's final decision in her story was quite strong as well.

I also felt a vibe similar to that of L4D2, where they just tried a variety of settings and effects to present. The foggy road and cornfield came across well. The variety of character attributes and expressions were great as well.

All in all, a very enjoyable visit to the world of The Walking Dead. I hope there is room for more content in this vein.

I did feel the choice of who to shoot on the bus was not set up very clear. I didn't know I'd be leaving whoever I shot to die, and I didn't know I'd literally be shooting their foot off. I figured there'd be damage to whoever I chose, but I still thought the leather cuffs were what I'd be aiming at.

In general I wish each story actually felt like a short story, but I think they were pretty much all about 5 to 10 minutes too short to actually feel complete. I never felt an actual full character arc in any of the stories, and I definitely didn't get to know them as people too well. I mean, it's DLC that (I am assuming) is meant to set up Season 2, so I don't mind it so much. I'm sure that leaving me wanting more was a clear goal of Telltale's on this from the start.

Anyone else surprised at how ruthless and heartless Shel's sister was? 

I loved this, because I've long wanted a series of extremely short stories all told within the same mechanical context, and this did exactly that in a world that I already love (I mean, as much as you can love misery, you know what I mean, ha ha, what).

Yes.

I wonder if it's possible for no one to end up going to the camp. Shel is the only one who didn't go to the camp in my game. Along with her sister, obviously.

Within that lies my one real problem: in some cases it's pretty obvious which choices would lead to a given character deciding not to go. I can see where I went wrong with Shel. I should've grabbed the keys instead of the gun... Russel probably would've decided to not go to the camp if I'd backed up Nate. Bonnie isn't quite as obvious, maybe if I'd told the truth, she wouldn't have even made it to the camp, because she'd have been abandoned/killed later on? I dunno. Wyatt, maybe if I'd stayed in the car (i.e., won rock paper scissors, which was an awesome way to "choose" the path there, 'cause it was a choice completely out of my control). Vince... actually I have no idea with Vince. I ended up shooting off the convicted rapist's foot, because I'd rather not risk being wrong about that and getting stuck with a rapist as my Buddy. I didn't even really think about it there. Maybe there it was just as arbitrary as who you choose to shoort. U:

That was all quite rambly and probably sorta incomprehensible and I kind of changed my mind halfway through. WELP. SORRY.

I guess the way you talk to them as a group at the end affect that, as well.

I did feel the choice of who to shoot on the bus was not set up very clear. I didn't know I'd be leaving whoever I shot to die, and I didn't know I'd literally be shooting their foot off. I figured there'd be damage to whoever I chose, but I still thought the leather cuffs were what I'd be aiming at.

In general I wish each story actually felt like a short story, but I think they were pretty much all about 5 to 10 minutes too short to actually feel complete. I never felt an actual full character arc in any of the stories, and I definitely didn't get to know them as people too well. I mean, it's DLC that (I am assuming) is meant to set up Season 2, so I don't mind it so much. I'm sure that leaving me wanting more was a clear goal of Telltale's on this from the start.

Anyone else surprised at how ruthless and heartless Shel's sister was? 

I actually really liked the length for all of them, and the lack of typical character arcs. I'm actually kinda dissipointed with the ending, in that I really almost wish it was a bunch of small, one-off stories about people in a situation, without hints of more things to come. The small scope really allowed me to make my own assumptions about characters and relationships, that was really satisfying.

I actually really liked the length for all of them, and the lack of typical character arcs. I'm actually kinda dissipointed with the ending, in that I really almost wish it was a bunch of small, one-off stories about people in a situation, without hints of more things to come. The small scope really allowed me to make my own assumptions about characters and relationships, that was really satisfying.

Most of the stories had wonderful moments that I really dug ("Fuck Wall Street." "Fuck Wall Street!" "Fuck Wall Street!") but I definitely can't call any of them particularly satisfying. For me, there's a difference between allowing the audience to work out the details (which Season 1 did so well) and a story being so anemic that it lacks any meaning at all. For the most part the way each story is set up is fantastic, giving clear portraits of each character with little exposition, but where the stories ended often felt arbitrary to me, and didn't really suggest clearly how it lead to them either joining or not joining Tavia at the end.

Also, it appears that so much important story happens in between the chapters and the Tavia ending. It's almost as if they purposefully omitted the most interesting part of any given story. Which may make sense come Season 2 Episode 1, but on it's own 400 Days didn't give me that feeling the proper episodes did.

For me the ending it felt pretty clear in some cases what lead to them joining. I actually appreciated the epilogue in how it shows the impact those moments had on their lives.

For example, Russel seems like his trust of people has been damaged regardless of any choice by how much of an asshole Nate was. However, he still wanted to find his family, so I was able to use that to get him on board. Wyatt on the other hand, stayed in the car in my playthrough and instantly jumped to find Eddie, because he feels extremely guilty over leaving him (most likely to die) and wants to be able to take that back. I wasn't surprised to hear at all that Twig had the opposite experience.

They weren't explicit, but I felt I could definitely suss out what those playable moments meant in terms of the ending. And even if they aren't mechanically accurate in all cases, I'm fine as long as I feel that way.

The big question I was left with was whether or not Vince is Glenn's brother. They use such a similar facial expression in that sort of clever smile all I could do is picture him. Also they're both from Macon...

Just finished :tup: only the ex drug addict girl left. I did push any in the final scene, just kept saying it you choice/no guarantees.

I get conflicted between what I would do and what think the character I was laying as should do. For example at the end of wyatts story I was thinking wyatt should just leave the guy on the road, but then when I was actually given the choice I struggled as my morals kicked in (still left him)

All the stats at the end was still on 50% (xbox360 uk) I wonder if its broke or if it updates every 24 hours I was just to quick for it