tegan

QUILTBAG Thread of Flagrant Homoeroticism

When I was in Dublin at the weekend, a lot of restaurants and shops had #TeamPanti stickers in their windows. The chicken was good too!

Thoughts on the "trans*" (with asterisk) term? Seems a little counter-intuitive to me. Is it generally helpful?

I don't know how to feel about this because this is the same person that helped create one of the grossest, most strict bills against illegal immigrants in recent time and signed one of the most lenient gun control laws in the country.

A small positive victory from a extremely questionable conservative politician. To quote Doug on IRC:

yeah it's a sad day when jan brewer looks like a civil rights champion

Couldn't agree more. She's the worst thing that's happened to this state. It's really sad that the majority of voters in this state are dumb enough to keep her in office for multiple terms.

I don't know how bad Brewer is, but I'd be willing to trade you Sam Brownback for her.  Kansas only barely managed to avoid having the same bill go to the governor's desk, where our resident sociopath would have signed it gleefully.  But the Senate republicans only killed it because they realized it was going to be a PR nightmare that would turn a lot of moderates and non-hateful Republicans against them.  I'm sure the reasoning was much the same for Brewer. 

Could I interest you guys in a Rick Perry? We don't need anything for him, just take him off our hands. He's been heavily used, but his hair is still great.

This isn't a competition. These people are fucking ignorant assholes. No need to put em on a scale of "Who's MORE of an asshole, huh?".

This competition works more like golf though where the winner is the one who has the least amount of ignorant assholery.

Na-na-na-na-na-naaaaaa, my governor's worse than your governor.

But does your governor look like this

post-31977-0-46978300-1393518048_thumb.gif

But does your governor look like this

No, he's creeper and has less soul in his eyes. 

post-33601-0-20981200-1393518279_thumb.jpg

He's also less believable than the Keeper.  His rhetoric is routinely jaw dropping.  He has referenced his fight to bring good old fashioned Christian conservative values to state government as being analogous to the fight to abolish slavery.  Multiple times. 

Thoughts on the "trans*" (with asterisk) term? Seems a little counter-intuitive to me. Is it generally helpful?

I read it as a wild card search modifier - so, used to include a bunch of different possible interpretations of trans (-gender, -sexual) without getting caught up in discussing which is strictly applicable...

I read it as a wild card search modifier - so, used to include a bunch of different possible interpretations of trans (-gender, -sexual) without getting caught up in discussing which is strictly applicable...

I hear it's been falling out of favour lately, though, and just "trans" is preferred. I don't remember where I heard it though so I can't vouch for the veracity of that statement.

Anyway as someone who falls under the trans/trans* umbrella I'd grown to like the asterisk, personally. It kind of makes it sound more inclusive. But I guess to the uninitiated it just looks like there should be a footnote connected to it?

*this is not a footnote.

Weirdly enough, I've gone from despising the man to appreciating his influence. I've lived with his church as a regular part of my life for almost 20 years. I've lived within an hour or less of them most of that time and tend to go to the types of events that they protest.  Kansas is a weird place. It can be oddly progressive, but severely backwards at the same time. The presence of Phelps and his kin put a constant face on what homophobia and hate look like. People who otherwise might have been silent about homophobia would stand up to Phelps. He has been a great reference point to put other bigots in their place. When people around here say something shitty, you can just point out that their view isn't really that different than what Phelps says, just a degree or two removed. Even bigots don't want to be perceived as being someone like Phelps.

That said, he could also be a distraction from the more casual (and harmful) homophobia and oppression that comes standard with parts of the Midwestern culture. Some people think you're only really a bigot if you're acting like the Phelps do.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see what happens to Westboro now that the founder and figurehead is gone.

Kinda like how Hitler wasn't that bad, caus he was the guy who killed hitler?

Kinda like how Hitler wasn't that bad, caus he was the guy who killed hitler?

Yeah, but he also killed the guy who killed Hitler.

Fred Phelps certainly shaped a lot of my thoughts on free speech: I could see, from here, the harm he caused just by saying what he believed. He spread a poison of the mind, and he made it easier for others to follow two steps behind because at least they weren't as evil as the Phelps-Roper clan. He made it easier to hate gay people simply by expressing that is was an option.

In a weird way, I almost admired that he took what is a fairly mainstream perversion of the Bible's message, and followed it through to its logical conclusion: if you believe that God is a creature who made a place of eternal torment that he sends those he supposedly loves, you've basically decided to worship an evil monster. If you make the core tenets of your faith opposition to abortion, homosexuality and biblical inerrancy instead of, like, tolerance and love and charity, then that road should inevitably lead you to terrorising people at their most vulnerable.

Phelps was scum and I'm glad he's gone. I wonder what the remains of the clan will do now.

The very best suggestion I've heard is to picket the funeral with signs like "My condolences" and "Sorry for your loss". 

Apparently Phelps had been excluded from WBC activities in his final years; based on what I know of cults, I'd say the current tactic of silently preventing them from being visible at picketed events is likely the most effective way of undoing some of the brainwashing. I suspect the family outside of Phelps is less capable of keeping up the wall between them and the world; if that goes down, it's all over, because like most people eventually they'll actually meet a queer person and discover they're pretty normal.