tegan

QUILTBAG Thread of Flagrant Homoeroticism

Joss Whedon is not known for writing "strong female characters," and yet he often gets questions about how to do it.  One answer included the phrase "peeny/balls."  Twitter was not pleased.

http://imgur.com/gallery/OHxicMo

I've gotten so used to using "Tumblr" when talking about these things. Fixed, thanks for pointing that out.

Joss Whedon is not known for writing "strong female characters," and yet he often gets questions about how to do it.  One answer included the phrase "peeny/balls."  Twitter was not pleased.

http://imgur.com/gallery/OHxicMo

For me, Whedon has the special distinction of being better known than other worse feminists, and worse than other better known feminists. I mean, does anyone remember last November, when he gave a speech at a grassroots advocacy fundraiser that was all about he'd invented a new word to replace "feminism" in the public discourse and to capture the imagination of the public at large? A brief synopsis from an acquaintance of mine sums it up best: http://misanthropology101.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/joss-whedons-latest-speech-on-feminism-was-horrible-heres-why/

and then i read youtube comments

why would you ever do that to yourself...     you gotta YoutubeOptions them away

Thought they were alright, considering. I mean, there's some discussion going on rather than the entire thing being a giant bonfire of aggravation.

and her speech was extremely good and man, brave

Sweet jebus, that was probably the most touching speech I've heard in a while.  Makes me want to go out and hug the world.

Pantigate has blown over, but the rancid bigots who sparked it have done themselves a lot of damage in the public opinion, and Panti's speech has really being doing the rounds which is awesome.

Pantigate has blown over, but the rancid bigots who sparked it have done themselves a lot of damage in the public opinion, and Panti's speech has really being doing the rounds which is awesome.

I've not heard anything about this, got any links (apart from that ten minute video which may not give adequate context)?

I've not heard anything about this, got any links (apart from that ten minute video which may not give adequate context)?

I had problems finding a good summary of it.  Pieced it together from multiple articles.  Basically Miss Panti was asked on a talk show to specifically give examples of homophobic actions in Ireland.  He named a couple of individuals and one organization.  Those named immediately threatened (or maybe actually did) to take legal action against the television station for airing slander against them (even though they are on the record of saying some pretty terrible things about gays).  The station, in short order and without any real discussion, elected to give a rather large settlement to the homophobes to make them go away.  The homophobes and their supporters have been trying to create an atmosphere where saying awful things about gays is just good political discourse, but calling someone a homophobe, or explaining how they are bigoted, is a repressive hate crime.  It's twistedly fucked logic.  In pretty short order, it seems like the tide of public opinion is turning in favor of Miss Panti and his supporters thankfully.

Reason I think it's particularly interesting to watch is for that last couple of minutes, which I think is much more broadly applicable. Replace 'homophobic' with 'racist' or 'sexist' and the same kind of discussions happen.