tegan

QUILTBAG Thread of Flagrant Homoeroticism

It's both easier and more confusing just adding -isexual onto the end of your name. You've clearly stated you know what you're attracted to, and then wish the person good luck on guessing what that is.

Whenever someone asks me what a good band name would be I just substitute their name into "<name> and the <name>sexuals."

T3buTyB.png

I already disliked Mackelmore for being a straight dude appropriating the LGBT struggle to make money, but this just takes the cake.

I have no idea who Macklemore is, so I assumed on first read that it was taking the piss out of the internet "no homo" thing. But I guess not?

Couple of tweets / days later and he's lamenting the overuse of the word "pause" ("I'm really looking forward to the day when "pause" gets it's recognition as the most oversatured/played out word in the game" 13 May 2009). So yeah, maybe.

Perhaps there's a Macklemore scholar among us who can illuminate.

I have no idea who Macklemore is, so I assumed on first read that it was taking the piss out of the internet "no homo" thing. But I guess not?

He just won a grammy for rapping. that is all i know.

Pause, also he is so totally not gay.

Does saying "pause" have anything to do with the lyric in his song "we press play don't press pause."

I only know this because my flatmate played this song about 50 times a day for the better part of a week so now I will never not know it.

Same Love does have an awful amount of Macklemore insisting that he's totally not gay you guys, he's straight, he's been loving girls since before pre-K. But then it's hard to know when he's fronting because he simultaneously fronts and gets real for a secon'.

On the other hand 'making money' for Macklemore involves putting out rap songs about how cool it is to think the rights of gay and lesbian people are important and that homophobes are totally lame. The main event of Same Love is Mary Lambert's performance, where she sings about her girlfriend, and she makes money from that song too. 

He is a straight, white cis male rapper, he's probably never going to be a particularly great ally, but he can reach the sorts of places that more sophisticated messages will never get through, places where homophobia is still very much the norm. He does have a song that is in part about his privilege as a white guy, that the violence done to minorities is horrific and yet if he tries to get involved he's going to blunder around and make things worse. I don't know that singing your gay marriage anthem at the Grammys, and organising a mass wedding during the song, counts as helping, but it sure as shit makes a statement when it could have very easily been 'buy cheap clothing at thrift shops' or 'I don't need no stinking label'.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/27/gender-swap-is-a-fascinating-use-of-oculus-rift-nsfw/

I haven't watched the video yet, so I don't fully understand this, but sounds interesting.

It doesn't seem to me that it would be particularly immersive, but maybe it has a bigger impact that I realize. I'm as interested in how people react to trying as I am to the device itself.

Google's doodle today calls out the Olympic Charter, specifically the section about how the practice of sport is a human right and should not be subject to discrimination, which is in direct conflict with Russian anti-gay policies.

Related and slightly more lighthearted is this Channel 4 ad for Sochi, which is pretty good.