tegan

QUILTBAG Thread of Flagrant Homoeroticism

Even though regression exists in places on the whole things are looking up, and I'm glad that trans rights got rolled into the fight for gay rights so they can progress simultaneously.  All of this is leading toward a debate on sexuality more broadly as well, which will be interesting when it comes to children.

I wonder if Russia is funding the development of a 'gaydar'.

That article headline is a leading misleading; it's just one Russian lawmaker saying that he believes they shouldn't cherry-pick who they apply the anti-gay law to, not an official statement from the Russian government on how they will definitely be arresting gay tourists. I find it really hard to believe that Russia will actually go to such extreme lengths to enforce the law. The country has been planning for the Olympics for so long that I can't believe they would jeopardize the situation by inciting international boycotts. But who knows. 

Personally what I don't like is that petition to ban the guy from entering the US.  I don't like what he has to say either, but is that a basis to ban him from entering the country?  Doesn't tolerance have to go both ways?  Besides I'm not sure what good it would do.

The next Eurovision Song Contest hosted by Russia is going to be awkward.

Seriously though, that law is so fucking gross.

If I remember correctly, the UK blood donation registration form said men who had had gay sex in the past six months or something weren't eligible to give blood. It quite a few years ago, so I may be misremembering, but I definitely thought it sounded dodgy. I wouldn't know whether it's changed since.

Russia's actually citing the US' similar incredibly outdated rules as justification for their own.

That ban is still in effect in the UK, but is more specifically for any gay man that has been sexually active in the past year. It used to be a lifetime ban. Also, our blood service was recently sold off to a private company set up by Mitt Romney. From the fact that they can screen my blood for STIs but apparently not gay dudes blood, to the symbolism of an equity firm literally bleeding me (in a country where privatisation has traditionally borne terrible results), blood stuff is awful here right now.

I thought the gay thing had been lifted in England but was still in effect in Wales. My partner is unable to give blood in Wales if she's had sex with me in the past 12 months on account of my lifetime ban for gay sex. The first time we tried they called us into interview rooms and asked us detailed questions about our sexual histories before just saying no because of the gay thing.

The the next time she tried without me they pulled up her record and quizzed her about me again! They wanted to know if she was still with me and asked her if she's had sex with anybody HIV positive, despite her saying she was still with me and that precluding her from giving blood in the first place. The ban isn't what bothers me as much as it is the strange data gathering they do. If your gay they want to know every sordid detail of your filthy, bum-bothering life.

From the fact that they can screen my blood for STIs but apparently not gay dudes blood [...]

Exactly. The only way I can make any sense of it is if they believe that STIs are so rampant among homosexual men that they would end up throwing out so much blood it wouldn't be worth it, but that's an absurd notion.

EDIT: Or perhaps it's because the screening isn't 100% effective, and they want to avoid higher risk groups. A startlingly offensive policy, either way.

Exactly. The only way I can make any sense of it is if they believe that STIs are so rampant among homosexual men that they would end up throwing out so much blood it wouldn't be worth it, but that's an absurd notion.

EDIT: Or perhaps it's because the screening isn't 100% effective, and they want to avoid higher risk groups. A startlingly offensive policy, either way.

I believe it is the part in your edit, but I'm not 100% sure. As the prevalence of a pathogen in a population's blood goes up, the risk of a false negative passing through the system increases. Is it actually know the stats on any of the STD/HIV data though.

Came across this recent article: http://www.buzzfeed.com/connorkemuo/why-i-stay-closeted-in-asia

Interesting read, cultures deal with deviant sexuality/identity in different ways.  I don't happen to speak, dress, or act in a feminine way so I avoided much of this categorical discrimination by being invisible.  I grew up with basically liberal and secular parents in a very forward/accepting neighborhood so learning about this sort of thing is as new to me as it is to most conventionally straight folks.

And the person I date has a gender identity that isn't even listed there. Gender spectrum! So big!

That's what he/she said!  (Is that inappropriate?  I'm so confused)

That's what he/she said!  (Is that inappropriate?  I'm so confused)

I've done extensive research on this subject and let me tell you, this kind of humor is always timeless, classy, and appropriate. It's up there with sick yo' mama burns.

Please, AsianMan, it's "That's what he/she/they/ze/one/hir/sie/co/ey said".

Pronouns are over. No more pronouns. From now on, we use everyone's given name like it's a TV interview or something.