Roderick

Fantasy Finale XV

esp the dudes

Yeah that bothered me because up until this point I was so into everything about this game UNAPOLOGETICALLY I MIGHT ADD

have i mentioned that hair - no not just that one the other ones too

all of the hairs

Those goggles remind me that I once wore Bright Orange Swimming Goggles on my forehead when we (the marching band) marched out onto the field for a high school football game halftime. This is not relevant to the thread, but that's beside the point. I guess I was a nerd in high school, eh.

goddamit Squeenix. You make Cid a woman, and then you dress her like that? Ugh.

attachicon.gifcid.JPG

I mean...not to over-generalize, but...yeah, that seems about right in terms of a lot of Japanese games.

I mean...it's pretty much a trope for these AND ESPECIALLY for fighting games. Not saying that makes it RIGHT, I guess I'm saying I'd have actually been more shocked if they HADN'T had a character design like that...

I mean...not to over-generalize, but...yeah, that seems about right in terms of a lot of Japanese games.

I mean...it's pretty much a trope for these AND ESPECIALLY for fighting games. Not saying that makes it RIGHT, I guess I'm saying I'd have actually been more shocked if they HADN'T had a character design like that...

Yeah, but this makes XIII look straight up reserved and demure by comparison. I was hoping for another baby step of progress, not a Nestea plunge back into pandering sexist design. 

It's particularly egregious since it seems like the main party is a group of lads on a road trip. So if you're going to have a limited representation of women then you really ought to be more careful about it. (ideally just don't limit your representation of women)

Has Cid ever been young?  Let's check the wikia!

"Cid is usually older than the main cast, sometimes by several decades, and they are thus portrayed as fatherly figures, sometimes as the biological, adoptive, or surrogate father of one of the main characters."

I guess she could still be fatherly...?

Yeah, but this makes XIII look straight up reserved and demure by comparison. I was hoping for another baby step of progress, not a Nestea plunge back into pandering sexist design. 

One step forward, two steps back. Cultural differences aside, that's Video game social progress in a nutshell, really...

Has Cid ever been young?  Let's check the wikia!

"Cid is usually older than the main cast, sometimes by several decades, and they are thus portrayed as fatherly figures, sometimes as the biological, adoptive, or surrogate father of one of the main characters."

I guess she could still be fatherly...?

I mean...sure...that's...a certain kind of father figure, certainly...

So there's a new trailer and demo out :tup: I heard you get an exclusive summon in the final game by playing the demo. Downloading it now on PS4.

On the one hand, I'd quite like to play the demo. On the other, I don't really want to get hyped for a game that's not out for another six months.

I liked the Platinum Demo. I didn't play Episode Duscae and I've heard this demo is a step backwards from that, so maybe that's why I like it. The combat was super simple but I think it helped me get a good feel for how combat basically works. What I've seen in trailers looks much cooler, so I'm still looking forward to it!

Is there anything special you have to do to unlock the summon in the full game? Or just complete the demo?

In many ways I felt like I was playing a third person action game from 10 years ago, random collect-a-thon junk and fairly loose targeting.  For a demo it felt pretty weak because there's just barely anything going on in the game, it's mostly a tutorial.  Kind of amused that carbuncle was texting you though.

Yeah what was that about? That was actually somehow more obnoxious than the usual tiny stupid JRPG character.

I definitely didn't enjoy the demo either, though it was funny that they put in weather and time of day changes to show off the engine. In principle, I don't have a problem with that, but the game honestly didn't particularly impress me visually. The bizarre flat-photo-looking environments in particular were terrible.

In a weird way, I'm actually relieved. If I was instantly in love with the game it would have made the next six months really annoying! I'm not necessarily writing the entire game off right now, but that demo sure as hell didn't do it any favours.

They needed to at least show off one real battle. The big bad at the end pretty much melted to fire effortlessly. Even when meleeing him I never felt any danger or need for strategy

They needed to at least show off one real battle. The big bad at the end pretty much melted to fire effortlessly. Even when meleeing him I never felt any danger or need for strategy

Did you fight him again before leaving? You can step on a pressure plate to make him reappear and he's a lot tougher. Made me realize the real game will probably take actual thought and skill... I'm still pretty mixed on the demo, but that tougher fight reminded me of the boss in XIII where you had to really start understanding the combat to proceed.

I found the combat kinda clunky. Like, the timing for blocking and attacking had some strange delay to it and I couldn't tell how far away I needed to be for him to actually move in to attack or just stand there. Maybe it's just something you get a feel for over time? I haven't played any of the more recent FF games for what it's worth.

I'm not really sure what they were thinking with this demo...the setting from the trailers had me kinda interested, but the maps in this thing are so boring and lifeless. That one in the house was like a shitty old Unreal Tournament map.

That one in the house was like a shitty old Unreal Tournament map.

Ha! I knew it felt familiar.

I'm not really sure what they were thinking with this demo...the setting from the trailers had me kinda interested, but the maps in this thing are so boring and lifeless. That one in the house was like a shitty old Unreal Tournament map.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. It does look very pretty, which is one thing. I should say, the episode duskae or w/e it's called is probably a better representative of the game than this one. In that, the combat was a lot more fluid and fun, and didn't have a stupid hammer that was the same attack and took like 5 secs to do. This was way more of a tech demo.

Also, there is a short official anime series on youtube that more accurately shows what I'm excited for - A bunch of guys on a road trip, chatting shit and fighting stuff. Also the animation is beautiful.

Is there a reason/explanation as to why noctus can summon weapons and teleport. Or is it just 'hey, it's final fantasy there's magic and shit :tup: '

Also, there is a short official anime series on youtube that more accurately shows what I'm excited for - A bunch of guys on a road trip, chatting shit and fighting stuff.

Yeah, something about a Final Fantasy Bro Roadtrip just has me totally intrigued. I can't explain it.

Yeah, same here. The cast is really well developed, and they nicely fit into their respective tropes without feeling out of place. Idk. Check out the anime if you have 10 mins to spare, it's really nice.

Is there a reason/explanation as to why noctus can summon weapons and teleport. Or is it just 'hey, it's final fantasy there's magic and shit :tup: '

If the anime is anything to go by, it looks like it's inherited, and maybe some proof that he's a prince? But still boils down to magic n shit.