Roderick

Fantasy Finale XV

So I've taken some time to let some of the new ideas behind FFXV sink in and I think I hate it. The whole Broad trip concept just looks too incredibly stupid and cheesy. The rest of it seems fine I guess but I have zero faith that dudes on a road trip will mesh well with a Final Fantasy game. Can someone please map out a path for me where this somehow works and makes for a compelling game?

Now if they are going for the stupid cheese factor and are purposely steering Final Fantasy in that direction, then I can get behind that. Somehow though, I get the feeling that they are taking it very seriously.

Can someone please map out a path for me where this somehow works and makes for a compelling game?

Sure!

1) Every previous Final Fantasy game sucks (except for 9)!

2) This one is trying something different!

3) Maybe it's successful!

Isn't the road trip thing what the first half of pretty much every FF game has been in function if not in name? I mean you go to a city, fight the monster/explore the dungeon/rescue folks, then get directed to the next city along the line and do it again.

Isn't the road trip thing what the first half of pretty much every FF game has been in function if not in name? I mean you go to a city, fight the monster/explore the dungeon/rescue folks, then get directed to the next city along the line and do it again.

Sure, except none of the other Final Fantasies are dudes on a road trip.

Zidane is definitely a dude. I can attest to that. He's got a monkey tail too though so maybe that's different.

Sure, except none of the other Final Fantasies are dudes on a road trip.

I guess that depends on who you put in your party.

But he rides a Chocobo, not a car. There is a big difference between Chocobos and cars. And he's also not a dude, he's a monkey.

Now if this was a game where these guys are all just modern day dudes who just dropped a bunch of acid and then go driving around in their car, hallucinating a Final Fantasy adventure, I would be 100% behind that.

Edit: That was a reply to YOU TWIG!

You're a reply to me!

What is the functional difference between chocobos and cars! They're both topless, so you get that sweet wind-feel in your face and gorgeous, smooth hairs, i mean just look at that hair it's so beautiful i want to touch that hair

Cars are faster!

Cars pee though when they leak oil! And they release toxic fumes into the air! Poop does that too but in smaller quantities. I dunno, cars come out ahead in all the things, here.

Now if this was a game where these guys are all just modern day dudes who just dropped a bunch of acid and then go driving around in their car, hallucinating a Final Fantasy adventure, I would be 100% behind that.

That makes me want JRPG where you play as Hunter S. Thompson on a drug fueled road trip, acquiring new party members as you go, but you're never really sure if the enemies (or your party for that matter) are real or not. Or maybe some of them are, and some aren't. Or maybe...fuck, is this bat country?

The way I feel about this is about the same way I would feel if Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn showed up to the giant battle in Return of the King in a Mercedes... actually that would be awesome.

That makes me want JRPG where you play as Hunter S. Thompson on a drug fueled road trip, acquiring new party members as you go, but you're never really sure if the enemies (or your party for that matter) are real or not. Or maybe some of them are, and some aren't. Or maybe...fuck, is this bat country?

That is GOTY material right there. For all the edginess, vulgarity, and violence in video games, they have really dropped the ball when it comes to drug culture.

It sounds like they're finally patching in some graphics options for the FF XIII port now that the XIII-2 one is about to be released. My PS3 died on me about half way through FF XIII, so I might finally give it another go now (or at least when I'm done with the new Dragon Age).

My main problem is just how stupid they all look. If they weren't all so punchable I'd have a much easier time getting over the car/road trip. As it is I hate them all and despite knowing nothing about the game I'm already imagining them talking to each other and having super terrible dialogue and voice acting which probably won't be the case, but I've already extrapolated that trailer into a whole game in my head and am judging it based on those haircuts.

But they look great. Why would you punch that hair?

I will play this game if the hair merges into a sentient monster that you kill as the final boss to destroy all anime hair in the world.

So basically this needs to be a Hideki Kamiya game.

Oh look it is a trailer with English voice acting

I'm sorry, I meant voice 'acting'

I hope this game does the Saints Row thing where at some point the characters turn on the car's radio and start singing along to "Just a Friend."

Let's hope it'll

got what you neeeeed

So i am very much not a Final Fantasy person, it's a large part of why i swore off JRPG's for the better part of a decade, and all the stories around this game paint its development as having been a harmfully bloated money-pit, catastrophically delayed and restarted, again and again for close to eight years.

That said, those E3 trailers looked super fucking cool.

I actually do want to play this.

(Hit up the HD so it's not a blurry mess.)

You're not wrong about the crazy development cycle, but honestly? The new look and seemingly new setting are enough to perhaps get me back on. Last game I played to the end was FFX. Didn't care about XI, didn't finish XII cause I just couldn't get into the weird gameplay, and didn't even bother with XIII or XIV.

So it's definitely NOT a day-1 purchase for me, but it's something I'll be keeping my eye on. At this point Persona's the only JRPG series (or game) I consistently play and that's because they seem like they realized, with P4G that you can make a long game without requiring 40% or more of it to be grinding. And perhaps ratcheting down the melodrama.