Roderick

Fantasy Finale XV

It'll be an utterly vapid and empty experience, but with nice hair

Like Mington?

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

zing

My hair ain't even that nice, i haven't had a hair cut in like 3 months and am totally rocking a mullet. I'm booked in for a trim this Saturday at my salon of choice, i fancy a change, i think i'll ask for that trendy cut all the cunts are wearing.

TRUE STORY: One time when I was at university, so probably like 11 years ago, fuck I'm old, i took a picture of a man with me to get my hair cut. I pointed at the man in the picture and without shame said "make me look like that". I feel shame now as the man in the picture was the now convicted baby rapist Ian Watkins :zoid:

TRUE STORY: One time when I was at university, so probably like 11 years ago, fuck I'm old, i took a picture of a man with me to get my hair cut. I pointed at the man in the picture and without shame said "make me look like that". I feel shame now as the man in the picture was the now convicted baby rapist Ian Watkins :zoid:

I booked an expensive hair appointment on my 30th birthday (years ago).  I told the stylist, "I want to have gray hair."  I felt old and wanted to look old!

But the stylist refused.  He said that you can't dye someone's hair gray—you end up with anime hair.

...or Final Fantasy hair?

My too! Grey hair is cool. I went though a faze of wanting hair like George Lamb and wouldn't accept that he was natural grey as it looked so damn perfect; discussed this with my hair dresser at the time who disagreed and thought i was a crazy person.

This going off rails, but I started going grey at 22, I figured by the time I was 30 I'd be completely white. Sadly that wasn't the case and now i just have this crappy blend that might be getting close to skunk like.

Anyway, what I was going to say is the whole silver/grey/anime hair thing seems to be the rage for 20 something girls in SF. It looks really dumb.

For a few years, I had near perfect Reed Richard's silver temples.  It was completely awesome.  But now the grey is spreading.  I'm contemplating dying the rest of it to have my distinguished temples back.  Something about me ought to be distinguished at this age, and it's not going to be the rest of me. 

Wowsers, this thread exploded just now. The new trailer is confoundingly boring. The last time we got giants stomping around in a slick city, now it's a roadside picknick with nondescript plains? I'm also curious how the art direction will turn out in the game. It's so muted and dark, very unlike Final Fantasy. Still an interesting project, though you can't help but laugh that I thought there'd be a PC version in 2014.

Still an interesting project, though you can't help but laugh that I thought there'd be a PC version in 2014.

But FFXIII is coming to PC next month, so there's still hope!

It is? That's actually kinda cool. I'm playing it at the moment with a friend (over the course of yeaaaaars, a few hours every month), and it's super fun and relaxing. To mock. But also fun in a good way! The role-switching system is really fun and tactical, and streamlined as fuck.

Yeah, XIII next month and then XIII-2 and Lightning Returns staggered a few months apart.  FFIV also appeared on Steam a few days ago, with very little fanfare around it. It looks like it's the remake that was originally on the DS (I think?). For pure nostalgia, FFIV is probably my favorite so I'll have to pick it up at some point.

Yeah, XIII next month and then XIII-2 and Lightning Returns staggered a few months apart.  FFIV also appeared on Steam a few days ago, with very little fanfare around it. It looks like it's the remake that was originally on the DS (I think?). For pure nostalgia, FFIV is probably my favorite so I'll have to pick it up at some point.

The DS remake was fuckin' weird because it was balanced towards experienced players. It honestly kinda ruins it. FFIV had some dodgy elements but it's a breezy enough time in the original. Not in the remake.

The non-DS versions of the DS remake have a difficulty setting to go back to the original difficulty, apparently.

The DS remake was fuckin' weird because it was balanced towards experienced players. It honestly kinda ruins it. FFIV had some dodgy elements but it's a breezy enough time in the original. Not in the remake.

I might actually enjoy that.  I've played through IV several times (though it's probably been 12ish years since the last time), and I can still remember specific battles.  Though if the option exists to just revert exists as Twig said, I also might favor that just to breeze through it.  The last few times I played through any of the older FFs, I've done it by emulator just so I could crank up the game speed and blow through the boring/grindy parts in a matter of minutes instead of hours. 

Not sure if we have an actual FFXIII thread, so I'll just drop this here.

The Steam port came out this week...and it sounds underwhelming as a port. It needed Durante to swoop in and fix the resolution with his Geo-fixer-something tool, same as Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition, as it is fixed at 1280x720 resolution. Also, no graphics options, compressed cut scenes, a whopping 49GB download and apparently hitting ESC just quits the game, rather than bringing up a menu.

I read about that and was fascinated that the FF3 port has more graphics options than the FF13 port.

What. Square-Enix. What.

I like a lot about this, but is it like... Japanese models pretending to be gangsters in the American midwest circa 1950 or so and then there are monsters? Is this like Pleasantville but like, what happens when Final Fantasy comea to Americana neverland? I think I like that. My gut reaction is like visceral bewilderment at the aesthetics.

ah that on foot traversal looks tedious as hell. Hopefully there will be other types of transportation like motor bikes or dirt buggy's. Perhaps I've just been spoilt by destiny.

I'll be more than a little miffed if they expect me to jog through bland environments for hour upon hour especially considering the player character has the ability to teleport.

If you translate the captions to English, you get a pretty accurate idea of the general writing in Fantasy Finale.

"I'm riding the old horse."

"Sweet vinegar."

It looks extremely boring though. The wilderness doesn't at all capture the imagination like a Skyrim would, inducing you to hours of exploration. I feels like they still don't have a clue what game it is they want to make. Sweet vinegar.

This has nothing to do with anything, Polygon posted an article about a site where you make bad game tshirts and someone posted this in the comments thread (it's from neogaf though) and I thought it was pretty spectacular.

kI69Pwx.png

ah that on foot traversal looks tedious as hell. Hopefully there will be other types of transportation like motor bikes or dirt buggy's. Perhaps I've just been spoilt by destiny.

I'll be more than a little miffed if they expect me to jog through bland environments for hour upon hour especially considering the player character has the ability to teleport.

Oh man, I completely disagree. I think that kind of exploration and reinvention of the world map is precisely what Final Fantasy's been longing for for a decade. I'm just still skeptical that they're going to have the resources to make it work (believe me, I'd be in further disagreement with anyone anticipating XV with blind hype).

I like a lot about this, but is it like... Japanese models pretending to be gangsters in the American midwest circa 1950 or so and then there are monsters? Is this like Pleasantville but like, what happens when Final Fantasy comea to Americana neverland? I think I like that. My gut reaction is like visceral bewilderment at the aesthetics.

This video gives new meaning to the term "walkthrough." Why would they use that thumbnail? It looks far more interesting than anything they actually showed. (Well, the giant giraffe-mammoth things were pretty cool.)

The aesthetic is completely baffling to me. I think they got a bit too close to real and still wanted to hang onto their goofy Final Fantasy fashion, but all I could think was "why are they running around the wilderness dressed like they're about to go to a job interview-themed rave." The part where he walks out on the dock I couldn't help but think there's no freaking way they'll let you swim because that guy obviously spent way too long doing his hair. It's like... even Final Fantasy X, which went for similarly realistic-ish, non-animefied characters, the outfits were so garish that you chalked it up to "oh, that's just his outfit" in the same way you would for a superhero or an anime character. Now it's like... the outfits look just practical enough that my brain goes "oh, he chose to dress himself that way for some reason." Ahhh.

I continue to be completely enamored by everything you people are complaining about, aesthetics-wise. It's so good.

I'm only hurting myself by getting stupidly excited about a dumb Final Fantasy, though.