Roderick

Fantasy Finale XV

True fact: I watched this trailer four times back to back with the express intent of figuring out which state's license plate theirs is based on. It's a Delaware color scheme with whatever crest of the city vanitied on the left side; six digit standard pattern and a symbol means apparently the Prince of Boy Bands is shelling a whopping 50 gil (assuming 1:1 USD:gil) a year to have that on the back of his ride. Also a true fact: any scene without the car in it I spent transfixed at how good looking those dudes are and how perfect their hair is.

Tegan, re: Nomura, he announced that he was leaving the project to go do other games "only he could do"

So now FFXV can actually come out, and that's pretty rad

Tegan, re: Nomura, he announced that he was leaving the project to go do other games "only he could do"

TWEWY 2?!

*froths with demand*

I no longer trust Final Fantasy, and this looks... well let's just say that there's Persona 5 coming down the pipe and I bet it'll have more of what I actually want.

I no longer trust Final Fantasy, and this looks... 

Amazing, I know!

It's kind of amazing that they decided to make a Final Fantasy x Clockwork Orange crossover, very gutsy and bold direction in our typically safe media environment. 

I hate to double post but Important News has surfaced.

"Director Hajime Tabata estimates that Final Fantasy 15 is currently around 55 percent complete, though the game changed drastically after he took over the project two years ago."

Source

Stellar. Just... stellar.

...I really liked the trailer. I am (probably unreasonably) excited for this. I shouldn't feel this way, after how let down I felt with XIII, but I can't help but want it. I'm having that problem right now where I both want to know everything about it, and also not hear anything that might be considered a spoiler at all...

I like that the combat isn't standard turn-based final fantasy combat. I'm excited for this game, but man that hair is trying hard to make me not.

Why all the hair hate???

I wish my locks looked that great. I just got a gross boring combover.

god no

gross boring combovers should be abolished from this planet

I like that they have a listing for the exact percentage of finished game. Does game development really work that way?

Also, didn't they start development on this back in 2006? If it's only half-done now, does that mean it won't be released for another eight years?

It's possible that they mean in terms of planned content (i.e., art, music, etc.), which is certainly a measurable quantity. In terms of engineering, bug fixing, etc. you CAN technically like track bugs reported vs bugs fixed and features requested vs features implemented and such but obviously no sane person would do that.

I think they later specified that it was in the two years since Tabata started working, but I still love "55%," like they have some corporate goal thermometer on the wall that they slowly fill up with Sharpie at the end of the day.

So 55% of the Tabata-made game, since they basically scrapped the original 2006 version once they had to move to PS4/XONE.

That's probably five pizza parties. Another 5% and you get two toppings per pizza, Square Enix!

Here's hoping that gross boring combovers are available as a customisation option.

I want real Photoshop skills so very bad right now... Surely there's a screencap someone can edit?

I like that the combat isn't standard turn-based final fantasy combat. I'm excited for this game, but man that hair is trying hard to make me not.

The combat in Final Fantasy games hasn't been 'standard turn-based final fantasy' combat since FF9. FFX slowed combat down to make it much more tactical. FF11 and 14 are MMOs, so they run real-time with hotkeys. FF12 was real-time, with battles taking place without leaving the world. FF13 was semi-turn based built around changing classes in real time and had a strong emphasis on buffs and debuffs.

For that matter, describing Final Fantasy combat as 'standard turn-based' is a bit weird because the 'standard' is Dragon Quest, with no real-time elements. Are you referring to how there isn't a separate battle area?

The combat in Final Fantasy games hasn't been 'standard turn-based final fantasy' combat since FF9. FFX slowed combat down to make it much more tactical. FF11 and 14 are MMOs, so they run real-time with hotkeys. FF12 was real-time, with battles taking place without leaving the world. FF13 was semi-turn based built around changing classes in real time and had a strong emphasis on buffs and debuffs.

For that matter, describing Final Fantasy combat as 'standard turn-based' is a bit weird because the 'standard' is Dragon Quest, with no real-time elements. Are you referring to how there isn't a separate battle area?

I haven't played 13 so I didn't realize it was semi-real-time, from what I've seen of it it looked like the normal select your moves from a menu and then your party attacks. I thought they had just gone back to something more like the old games and was worried that that might also be the case in 15, but I guess I was wrong. I actually really liked the combat in 12 and it's my favorite post-ffvi game because of it. Also, for what it's worth I played FFXI and it was weird. It was trying really hard to simulate the feel of a normal Final Fantasy game so there weren't actually hotkeys like normal MMOs, you had to use a menu to select what you wanted to do from the usual stuff like "Attack" or "Magic" or "Items" and it would get queued up.

How was FFX different from the other games, I remember it being pretty much the same, but it's been a while since I played it.

FFX was very explicitly turn-based; each move had a certain cooldown, after which that character would immediately have another move. You could swap characters out with a very small delay, and certain characters' weapons had built-in advantages against certain enemy types. You were shown the turn order for the next thirty moves or so in the top right corner, including when enemies would get a go. The idea is that you could manipulate your party and the enemy party to try and prevent the enemy from ever attacking, which by the end boiled down to using Auto-Haste and dealing as much damage as possible.

Future games returned to the series staple, ATB, where players take turns based on a meter that fills up, but enemies act on a regular schedule.

I like that they have a listing for the exact percentage of finished game. Does game development really work that way?

Also, didn't they start development on this back in 2006? If it's only half-done now, does that mean it won't be released for another eight years?

I have a novel that's about 1.2% finished. That's how this works, right?

I've got a feeling that they've cut their losses with an ambitious project and are now just creating another game very similar to FF13 albeit in an open world.... An unnecessary open world with next to no point in exploration.

Final fantasy x skyrim this ain't

Overly simplistic combat system that they want to simplify even more to make it causal friendly.

It'll be an utterly vapid and empty experience, but with nice hair