clyde

Twine Recommendations

I'm pretty sure a few of the kids would get that it's satire. But I'm afraid of poe and I'm afraid of humorless parents and I am afraid of even coasting close to themes that could derrail the class. It is difficult enough to hold 30 kids on topic as it is without encouraging them to play a game that allows them to objectify a female npc in three different ways. I would not think twice if these were high schoolers :/

Ugh, its so weird to be in a position of having to make these sorts of calls.

I think you're definitely making the right call there!

I feel like asking why, but figure that I would have to play through again to ask with any sincerity.

So I played through that again and somehow failed to win the thing at the end. I'd only ever played it once before and won so I'd assumed that it was the only possible outcome, now I can't for the life of me figure out what I might have done differently.

edit: on consideration, I suppose the outcome could be random?

I ended up sharing these with the class:

Hero Room (had it in a folder attached with the list)

Star Court (ditto)

Queer Pirate Plane

Uncle Who Works for Nintendo

»——-?——->

King of Bees in Fantasyland

Horse Master

Assimilagent

climbing 208 feet up the ruin wall

Mythics

There was some snickering over adult words from the 6th graders and some serious themes snuck through (had to include Horse Master nnnggh). In retrospect that may have given some of them already predisposed to wiseassery and sabotage implicit permission to go a little crazy with "mature" themes. There was a lot of weirdly inept, cartoony racism in their stories which the ones I pointed this out to, recognized and either worked out of the stories or didn't repeat for the second one.

So two prompts for the projects I settled on were Tea Party and Heist. Check out hive dot saysi dot org (a bit apprehensive about spiders indexing the url against its robots.txt wishes what with lists o names o students and all so manually un-dumb link plz)

I had to censor two games by one kid from the Official Published List Shown To General Public, even though kids voted to put both of them on the top of the list with an overwhelming margin. I'm gonna use this as a lesson in institutional censorship and how it works and why it happens and how to anticipate it and how to play ball. Also how to be more subversive. How to pick a venue for one's voice/themes/work. If anyone is curious about the censored games, I'll PM you a link.

I made a game in Professional Adventure Writer back for the ZX Spectrum in the early 90's, and even got it picked up by Zenobi Software (Behind Closed Doors). It was called The Ginormous Fishtank Adventure, and I might have a go at doing some sort of remake in Twine :)

So two prompts for the projects I settled on were Tea Party and Heist. Check out hive dot saysi dot org (a bit apprehensive about spiders indexing the url against its robots.txt wishes what with lists o names o students and all so manually un-dumb link plz)

I had to censor two games by one kid from the Official Published List Shown To General Public, even though kids voted to put both of them on the top of the list with an overwhelming margin. I'm gonna use this as a lesson in institutional censorship and how it works and why it happens and how to anticipate it and how to play ball. Also how to be more subversive. How to pick a venue for one's voice/themes/work. If anyone is curious about the censored games, I'll PM you a link.

These have a wonderful freshness to them. Of the few I have read, it really seems like the kids have a sensibility that sees opportunities that the format encourages. Reading these, it makes me realize that a lot of twines I read have this need to innovate. Reading a few of these I get the impression that the kids (I've read) just see it as a way to craft a circumstance where they can explore the most interesting details.

Fkv8ZNw.gif?1

---------------------------------------------

I love when the robber ducks out into the house that was made in 1775, opens the door on the left, sees the interior of a giant university and the choices are obviously thinking to yourself either:

-ugh school

or

-yay hiding places

Sounds legit.

Anyone who has worked in the games industry, or at the very least are paying close attention to how things work behind the scenes, will find The Writer Will Do Something depressingly familiar. This guy has clearly been around the block because this shit's on point.

I thought a Facebook app for Twine stories would be kinda clever, but I think success has changed Twine:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's funny, because I worked at the company that made that app. :D

It was a pretty neat concept for a dating app. You'd get matched with a stranger, but both of your pictures were blurred and would gradually unblur as your conversation went on. Of course it was an utter failure.

That's funny, because I worked at the company that made that app. :D

It was a pretty neat concept for a dating app. You'd get matched with a stranger, but both of your pictures were blurred and would gradually unblur as your conversation went on. Of course it was an utter failure.

Oh wow!  I would have probably trolled that service by uploading a pre-blurred photo.

And people did.

Also there was an option to immediately unblur if both sides opted in, which of course led to a culture where women were just harassed to immediately opt in.

Anyway, let's not derail the twine thread with twine.