Jake

Idle Thumbs 111: Cruisin' for a Word that Rhymes With Cruisin'

I bet you could convince the Roxie to host a night of screening a Pikman 2 competition.

The ending reminded me of the ridiculous demos on old Casio keyboards like the SK-1. The sample adds to that vibe.

Oh man that demo song! Yes!!!
My friend had a keyboard with this demo but you could replace the main instrument with a voice sample... It was the best/most annoying thing.

Argh, I can't place that theme!  I don't even know if it should be spoiled for me; I'm sure I've heard it before.

Click here to read a tweet from Jake Rodkin that will spoil it for you!

Click here to read a tweet from Jake Rodkin that will spoil it for you!

Amazing!  By restoring the memory of where I heard it, I can smell the lingering coffee smell from my aunt and uncle's computer room.  We had no computer speakers at my house until much later.

Clearly you never enjoyed that audio driver for the pc speaker.

The Vanamolyneux conversation is really fantastic, and strangely a bit inspirational. Weird, maybe! It's really refreshing to hear two talented guys just sit and trade questions and anecdotes.

e: Actually, that sounds terrible given where I'm posting. It's refreshing in the context of a sponsored interview!

Clearly you never enjoyed that audio driver for the pc speaker.

Indeed.

After all, for the real PC Sound Experience? You didn't need no bloody speakers!

Only... THE SPEAKER!

OH THE GLORY!!!!

This kind of turned into the episode about cliches.

The Citizen Kane of games thing is funny & dumb just because of how it reduces the film into a simplistic signifier of "this thing is good, and commands cultural cache". This got me thinking about how people do this with games as well. Like right now it seems like Dark Souls has become the game that replaces the Citizen Kane of games. This isn't carefully measured on my part or anything, but I've had the distinct feeling recently that a lot of recently announced games are getting compared to Dark Souls indiscriminately, and where all the person is saying really is that the game is challenging, or you die a lot but realistically speaking probably doesn't really resemble Dark Souls at all. Has anyone else felt like that has kind of been a thing lately?

God, some of the looks Molyneux gives Sean while he's talking are terrifying. I feel like he could stare me into a hole.

Great job, Sean!

Actually a friend who missed Planetary Annihilation's kickstarter dug into their early access page for info, and it's worth pointing out (they don't point it out well) that not only is the 90 dollars the same as the kickstarter pledge price, but you get all the rewards of the pledge at that price, i.e. exclusive commanders and other bits and pieces. With that info it's certainly a different story, especially since seeing unfinished games (and paying for them) is a relatively new phenomenon in a place like Steam.

In collage i did an IT course (GNVQ in Advanced IT :eyebrow: ) where literally half the class would just play Super Mario Bros 3 on a nes emulator all day B) Obviously we had to be pretty sly about this as our teacher was sat at the front of class.

One day i decided to bring Monkey Island in for a change, started up the game and was utterly mortified when with glass shattering volume the Monkey Island midi tune started playing from somewhere deep inside the computer tower

shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit ctrlaltdeletectrlaltdeletectrlaltdeletectrlaltdelete

i think i ended up turning the PC off at the plug

Lost in Translation is on netflix streaming! Always glazed over it, but after Jake talked about it I decided to watch & am super glad I did.

Here's where my brain went with the Starbucks story:

When they ask you your name, they are going to call it out so you can retrieve your beverage in the noisy bustling chaos of your average Starbucks (even if you are the only one in line). What if that guy, when giving 'USA' as his name, was hoping the barista would call out "Soy double mocha caramel latte for USA. USA." and then there would be a spontaneous USA chant in the store and he would be a hero and get to kick flip onto his motorcycle with the license plate that reads "FTN0STK" and ride away into America.

When they ask you your name, they are going to call it out so you can retrieve your beverage in the noisy bustling chaos of your average Starbucks (even if you are the only one in line). What if that guy, when giving 'USA' as his name, was hoping the barista would call out "Soy double mocha caramel latte for USA. USA." and then there would be a spontaneous USA chant in the store and he would be a hero and get to kick flip onto his motorcycle with the license plate that reads "FTN0STK" and ride away into America.

It's really just the most likely scenario

This is the best

After all, for the real PC Sound Experience? You didn't need no bloody speakers!

Only... THE SPEAKER!

Amazing! I played Where in Space is Carmen Sandiego with the PC speaker only and always felt I was missing out. I never should have doubted the power of what was inside my PC all along.

Great episode guys. I've got more to say, but for now I'll just mention something a friend pointed out: whenever Chris, Sean or Jake misses a podcast, you go out of your way to mention it. But this week, Nick was missing and nobody said a word.

Poor Nick.

Great episode guys. I've got more to say, but for now I'll just mention something a friend pointed out: whenever Chris, Sean or Jake misses a podcast, you go out of your way to mention it. But this week, Nick was missing and nobody said a word.

Poor Nick.

Yeah! If Sean hadn't mentioned the Dota Today interview and he wasn't addressed by name in a reader mail, Nick's name would have been completely absent.

Poor Nick.

1) It's probably because we're used to it being Chris/Sean/Jake since that has been the core post-Kickstarter lineup, but we're jerks for it.

2) Congrats Nick.

Counter-argument: Nick being on that first cast without any fanfare at all was pretty hilarious. I just imagine it's a call back. >_>

While listening to this episode, I realized that I'd never played Pikmin 2, even though I was pretty sure I owned a copy.  After digging through my forgotten Gamecube games, I found it... still sealed, with a Circuit City price tag on it.  I couldn't bring myself to open it.  The fact that it came from a dead retailer adds a certain provenance that will surely bring in extra value at auction.

Watching Vanaman versus Molyneux something came to mind. Sean is the most handsome Thumb. I used to think Steve's roguish good looks made him the obvious choice but Sean's apple red cheeks and tussled hair are objectively aesthetically appealing. His facial hair is also working well for him, despite giving the appearance of a Gap ad douche who picked the South American dictator beard.