toblix

Fez 2

My hackles are up as soon as I see a moniker like "Annoyed Gamer." Like, oh, it's your schtick to be a petty, antisocial internet guy, so it's ok?

Self-identifying as a "gamer" is gross enough on its own.

Man that article managed to make me happy and then sad very quickly.  I thought Patrick had some good thoughts, especially the line SgtWhistlebotom outlined above (I'm also glad he recognized the Futurama quote and the irony of the Andy Kaufman avatar).  Then I read a few of the comments and several of them are insults toward Klepek for writing about himself at the end of the article ("Nice article about yourself, Patrick. Could you write one about Phil now?").  While nowhere near as bad as the comments over at Polytron's site, it still bothered me a lot.  I think his personal situation is extremely relevant, because at this point the story isn't really about Fish anymore.  He was the catalyst, but it's grown beyond just him and now it's about how the internet and developers respond to each other, how people who make a product whose primary function is to make your life a little better, and how they incur the wrath of their customers.  I'm not going to bother defending Fish because that's already been done here with better words than I can muster.  Fish's case isn't the first and certainly won't be the last, but the whole thing just bums me out.

Self-identifying as a "gamer" is gross enough on its own.

I don't get this.

But this was his personal twitter (@PHIL_FISH), not his professional one (@Polytron).  I don't get why he needs to stop expressing opinions on the internet just because he's a game developer.

It may very well be better for Fish personally in the long run to remove himself from a situation where people could easily lob vitriol at him and then tut-tut about the resulting explosion, and it may very well be better for him professionally to not be as public as he has been, but I find it distressing how many people are pleased about the latter and unconcerned about the former (not anyone here really, thankfully).

Oh, I'm certainly not saying that every developer should disconnect. I'm just saying that if you are susceptible to the type of crap that the internet spews out on a daily basis, I'm OK with you just saying "fuck it, I'm out" in a social media sense. I just don't get why the game has to be shut down as well. Heck, there are plenty of days that I just don't want to read about whatever crap has everyone's knickers in a bind, so I don't.

I don't get this.

It just makes me picture cheetos-encrusted anime body pillows and stuff.

edit: Basically, when I see the word gamer, my mind immediately fills in "grub."

edit 2: Like, I bet he refers to things as being "epic."

You guys are being way overly dramatic re GAF. You have to cherry pick the threads, but there can be interesting discussion there. It isn't all so horrible, hah.

It just makes me picture cheetos-encrusted anime body pillows and stuff.

edit: Basically, when I see the word gamer, my mind immediately fills in "grub."

edit 2: Like, I bet he refers to things as being "epic."

I call myself a gamer and I don't have anime body pillows and I also hate cheetos and I also never use the word "epic" unless I'm describing something that is epic in the traditional sense of the word. ):

I think a lot of people just take issue with people defining their identities based on the media they purchase and consume.

Why? It's who I am. I play video games and I will always play video games. Just because I call myself a gamer does not mean I don't do anything else, and I have a really difficult time believing anyone actually thinks otherwise when they say the same.

Why? It's who I am.

"You are what you eat" is a weirdly reductive concept when it comes to media consumption as well as food. A lot of my post-college experience has been that I have nothing in common with people who play video games, unless they play video games that I play, in which case what we have in common is not really that we play games, but that we play Total War games. But I'm not a Total Warrior, so why would I be a gamer?

Who you are is not what you buy. As a wise man once said, "you're not your fucking khakis."

Who you are is not what you buy. As a wise man once said, "you're not your fucking khakis."

But how else do you enjoy things, be they books or forms of media, without buying them?

I guess software pirates are the only true people free to identify with anything.

"You are what you eat" is a weirdly reductive concept when it comes to media consumption as well as food. A lot of my post-college experience has been that I have nothing in common with people who play video games, unless they play video games that I play, in which case what we have in common is not really that we play games, but that we play Total War games. But I'm not a Total Warrior, so why would I be a gamer?

Assuming that identifying as a gamer means you only think of yourself in the context of video games and/or that you immediately feel welcome in the arms of someone else who would similarly call themselves a gamer is a "weirdly reductive concept".

You guys are fucking weird about this and I have literally no idea why. A "gamer" is someone who plays games. It doesn't define you. You just are one because you play games. Jesus what the hell.

gam·er  
/ˈgāmər/
Noun
A person who plays a game or games, typically a participant in a computer or role-playing game.

You guys are fucking weird about this and I have literally no idea why. A "gamer" is someone who plays games. It doesn't define you. You just are one because you play games. Jesus what the hell.

If being a gamer wasn't thought by a decent number of people to define someone in some way, they wouldn't make "gamer grub" and "gamer gear."

I mean, think about that. We don't have "watcher wear" or "reader food." Sorry, I couldn't alliterate with the last one.

Niyeaux and Gormongongous definitely get where I was coming from with that.

Don't take it to be a huge indictment, though, I was kind of being a jerk. There's nothing wrong with being a gamer and whatever that may entail for you. I'm just super picky about labels; I didn't mean to come across as that dismissive.

It's a knee-jerk thing, but "Annoyed Gamer" makes me imagine a pretty horrible type of person, which seems funny given the topic at hand. 

Also, the whole gamer culture is pretty messed up, and I'd rather not be associated with elements of it (says the guy posting on a forum about video games).

And yeah, Gamer Grub.

I mean, think about that. We don't have "watcher wear" or "reader food." Sorry, I couldn't alliterate with the last one.

Bookworm Bites?

I get a little annoyed at the way some people feel that every critic needs to be some swearing asshole who hates everything.

AVGN, while immature, can be funny. But his success has lead to a weird sort of "every reviewer must be at least this angry to review" mentality, and it's a little disgusting at times.

But how else do you enjoy things, be they books or forms of media, without buying them?

I guess software pirates are the only true people free to identify with anything.

When did I say not to buy things and enjoy them? I just said don't define yourself based on the things you buy and enjoy.

"Annoyed Gamer" is definitely immediately offputting, but it's kind of stupid to complain about how "gamer" allegedly defines people in a way you don't like and then go on and create a definition that you don't like..

The reason "gamer grub" exists is the same reason literally anything with any amount of marketing exists. Not because "gamer" defines you - and yes you are a gamer whether or not you want to admit it - but because there is a group of people who look at it and want it. Why do you let the media and marketing affect how you think about things? OH WAIT.

"Hey, what do you do in your free time?"

"Oh, I play games."

"Ah, a fellow gamer! What's your favorite game?"

"FUCK YOU YOU MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT I AM NOT A GAMER I AM NOT LIKE YOUUUUUUUUU."

You sillies.

(I'm being absurd please don't take me too seriously right now.)

"Hey, what do you do in your free time?"

"Oh, I play games."

"Do you play Call of Duty?"

"No."

"Oh, okay."

Fixed it for you (also being absurd).

AVGN, while immature, can be funny. But his success has lead to a weird sort of "every reviewer must be at least this angry to review" mentality, and it's a little disgusting at times.

What bothers me most about the existence of AVGN is that absolutely nobody who's inspired by it realizes that James Rolfe is playing a character whose entire point is that he's unlikably pedantic, crude, and unimaginative and instead take it at complete face value.

What bothers me most about the existence of AVGN is that absolutely nobody who's inspired by it realizes that James Rolfe is playing a character whose entire point is that he's unlikably pedantic, crude, and unimaginative and instead take it at complete face value.

It's like Red Letter Media! Some people think that what makes Plinkett great is that he's old, creepy, and sexist.

You guys are being way overly dramatic re GAF. You have to cherry pick the threads, but there can be interesting discussion there. It isn't all so horrible, hah.

Well I never stick around!

I'll read like 3 pages of dickheads comparing framerates and just quit, like "god why do I keep giving this a chance!"

If there's regular people in there being normal, then I miss em every time.

A lot of my post-college experience has been that I have nothing in common with people who play video games, unless they play video games that I play, in which case what we have in common is not really that we play games, but that we play Total War games. But I'm not a Total Warrior, so why would I be a gamer?

Please refer to me from now on as a Crusader King.

It's like Red Letter Media! Some people think that what makes Plinkett great is that he's old, creepy, and sexist.

Ugh, I know. Even worse since Plinkett is supposed to be a parody of the types of whiny creepy guys who review things on the internet.

Incidentally, every time I hear the name of a video reviewer that goes like "irate gamer" or "cynical gamer" or whatever, I immediately think of this guy: