toblix

Fez 2

We can stop all of this from ever happening if we go back in time and kill Maddox.

Plot of Red Alert 4 confirmed.

Early online games journalism seemed to exist on a scale that only reached from Maddox to Old Man Murray;  even online outlets for print journalism adopted the same tone.  I suspect that came in part from the era in which online games journalism grew: the snark-filled hate-everything irreverent-dude secretly-ironic 90s/00s.

Though some sites and outlets provide insightful and mature commentary (RPS/GB), I don't know if the industry as a whole ever grew past it.  Individual journalists largely did, but for many of them it seemed to coincide with a departure from journalism, or a move to RPS/GB.

It's not an isolated games thing you can draw a timeline of. Hollywood news, politics, tech-news, these are all a hundred miles further down this same road.

Using news as fuel to be a dismissive comedian, using cultural touchstones as a punching-bag, it's a universal thing that'll be around forever.

"Billy, come to dinner. Your father's getting mad that your food is going cold!"

"In a second, mom! I'm just here tearing this indie guy apart because he thinks he is so much better than me. I'll show him."

(Important detail to make this amazing satire work: the son is fat and white). 

"Billy, come to dinner. Your father's getting mad that your food is going cold!"

"In a second, mom! I'm just here tearing this indie guy apart because he thinks he is so much better than me. I'll show him."

(Important detail to make this amazing satire work: the son is fat and white). 

Cut to a middle-aged Billy, who is letting his kid play with a lighter and a bottle of pills while he gives some indie guy the what for online.  Priorities.

I don't necessarily disagree (see: Mitt Romney), but if you know that there's more to the picture you are actually harming someone. I've seen some people justify it as "tough love" and they clearly have zero experience in dealing with reactionary people.

Exactly. Plus the rest of your post was the best. I also went to a couple of years of therapy for anger management as well and it's still tough.

Fish's portrayal in Indie Game the Movie and the things he's said publicly the last two years has put me off from wanting to play Fez any time soon. I definitely wouldn't want to be around the guy in person, but what is the point of everyone constantly hounding him? I feel like he has made himself an easy target because he gets mad so easily and people are just getting their jollies out of pissing him off at this point. That's pretty disgusting in my opinion.

I was brought up to believe that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. That's why I've not said anything about Fish, or this news, and why I think so many dislike his shown persona.

EDIT: I think the spirit of that ethos is discouraging active meanness. On the spectrum, one may go from horrible to lovely with the grey area square in the middle. I think Fish's apparent erring on the side opposed to loveliness is why so many have a problem - regardless of his psychological state or apologies or what have you - and, as for my own feelings of the man, I've not said anything about his self. You may take from that what you will.

I was brought up to believe that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. That's why I've not said anything about Fish, or this news, and why I think so many dislike his shown persona.

How nice!

I just wanna say I'm glad you guys are all cool people. U:

I browsed the GAF thread about this and it made me really sad. Reading this makes me happy again.

Yeah, I felt exactly the same. Really depressing the damn title of the GAF thread is so snarky. It wasn't quite so originally, but some mod changed it. Gross.

I seriously have no idea why this NeoGaf board has any meaning or weight to anyone.

It just looks like old-ass 4chan to me, I don't get why people I like and respect are always so up-to-date with this shitbag meme-toilet. Whenever I pop in it's just schoolgirl bitching and the kind of uber pownage I used to read when I'd first just got the internet.

I used to be confused with why everyone would bring up Kotaku in conversation, but I don't think people do as much any more.

Seconded, I totally agree. Giant Bomb discuss GAF a lot so I went to check it out and it just seemed like everyone was trying to be cool/funnier than everyone else. It's just an ego cesspit. I was also incredibly confused when one of the Thumbs, I think it was Chris, said that Kotaku is the site that every game developer has open while they're at the office. Why? It's just like a tabloid newspaper. It's incredibly vapid and the comment sections are just painful. 

People go to GAF for critical mass. There's always a weird element of breaking news coming from there first, with a developer letting something slip in a thread or someone posting a bunch of leaked content there. There is a conversation for seemingly every gaming-related topic there.

That said, it's still a nightmare that I never want to wade through.

Reading stuff about this on other sites and forums (NeoGAF included), and then coming here an reading this thread, makes me realize how much of an oasis in a shit-desert this place is. Thanks for being awesome, guys.

Plot of Red Alert 4 confirmed.

This made me laugh so hard. I never played beyond the original C&C, and Red Alert games and I was looking at the recent games in those series because they were on sale on Steam, and I was like "huh,, I guess they still have those goofy FMVs".

Heh, I was so delighted that they continued the tradition of silly FMVs. It really is a large part of the C&C charm and appeal for me, which is why the upcoming sequel/reboot doesn't interest me that much because it's multiplayer-focused and lacking FMVs. :tdown:

As uncool as it is to hatefest on someone, especially someone who's headed up a fantastic game, it's really hard to feel bad for Phil Fish. I feel like he'd have less issues with people yelling at him on the internet if he didn't act like a petulant child.

More developers should feel comfortable canceling their twitter and letting a PR department handle these sorts of things. Dyack has finally gotten to the point that he realizes that he can be quite toxic when he talks about stuff, so now he's limiting his personal interviews to the facts and letting PR take care of it. I wholey endorse Fish locking his twitter, I just wish the game didn't have to suffer for it.

I think Marcus Beer had a valid criticism about Blow's and Fish's "whining" (though I wouldn't characterize it that way). Both of those guys have participated in making themselves very public figures and have used their platforms in interviews to speak badly about MS' policies; it shouldn't surprise them that they are then "ran to" for quotes about MS' policy that deals with the very things they've criticized.

That being said, Klepek is on point with this:

Game developers do not owe us anything, and I don’t owe them anything. It’s archaic to view the press-developer relationship as strictly symbiotic, and is indicative of an old view of the press-developer relationship.

As it might be relevant, before becoming an industry pundit, Beer worked PR for Vivendi and Ubisoft as well as other companies. I don't believe he has ever been a journalist.

If there are sides to be picked here, I'd definitely be on Fish's. No one deserves the vitriol he receives, even if their public attitude invites it.

My opinion is definitely coloured by having briefly met him a couple of times. He's a very direct and quite intense person. I've always known people like that too, so when I read stuff he's said online that people are losing their shit over, I sympathise more with him than them. Also, his words appear to have been cherry picked and sensationalised by tabloid-like blogs. I think most people judging him adversely aren't really taking that into account, or the sheer magnitude of negativity that he found himself the focal point of. Especially with the latter, I just don't think any of us would behave very well or come out the other side of it with particularly good mental health.

Pabosher, I want to clarify this is not a dig at you, just a very funny answer I saw recently to "If you can't say anything nice…"

"Well if you can't say anything nice about Hitler…"

More developers should feel comfortable canceling their twitter and letting a PR department handle these sorts of things. Dyack has finally gotten to the point that he realizes that he can be quite toxic when he talks about stuff, so now he's limiting his personal interviews to the facts and letting PR take care of it. I wholey endorse Fish locking his twitter, I just wish the game didn't have to suffer for it.

But this was his personal twitter (@PHIL_FISH), not his professional one (@Polytron).  I don't get why he needs to stop expressing opinions on the internet just because he's a game developer.

It may very well be better for Fish personally in the long run to remove himself from a situation where people could easily lob vitriol at him and then tut-tut about the resulting explosion, and it may very well be better for him professionally to not be as public as he has been, but I find it distressing how many people are pleased about the latter and unconcerned about the former (not anyone here really, thankfully).