Sign in to follow this  
Niyeaux

Mirror's Edge 2. I'm not even fucking joking.

Not a big fan of Faith's visual 'upgrade' I have to say. I liked her rough edges and angles in the original. Reminds me of this kerfuffle.

She looks near-identical to me. Maybe I'm not looking at the right pics?

I think that's just the angle of her face. Also: why does it matter? You won't even be looking at her during most of this first-person video game. This is the same type of over-hyped fan nitpicking of Booker and Elizabeth that went down prior to Bioshock Infinite. In the end, it didn't matter in the slightest.

I don't care, just noticed it is all. I think the second image is a 2d drawing

Although if they're going to add open world free running multiplayer into this game, we could end up with hundreds of identical looking skinny Asian woman running around on a roof top

She looks a little different, but it's hilarious to me that anyone would be bothered by it. She looks fine. Yeesh.

If the open world stuff were basically Spider-Man 2 with some mechanics swapped out for others, I would make an attempt to get over my fear of first-person games and play the heck out of it.

A HUGE part of the appeal was the puzzle-like approach to level design they took. Finding the right path, the safest path to start, the most efficient path when I got good at the game... Open-world CAN technically enable that sort of feeling in a more "I'm choosing to do it like THIS" kind of way, but I'm not sure if that's what I want from Mirror's Edge.

I liked the puzzle aspect, too ("How the heck am I supposed to get up / over there?"), but if you do the time trials and watch some top ghosts (or watch some YouTube videos), you'll see people pulling off tricks and routes that I'm almost certain the developers didn't intend.  I really liked that the traversal mechanics were robust enough to make that kind of thing possible, and it's possible you could get up to some amazing stuff in a more open-world environment.

To anyone who is lukewarm about this game, I think it's best enjoyed if you go through the story once on easy to unlock the time trials.  Then play the time trials.  Think of it as a parkour training sim, where you play a novice freerunner hanging out on the rooftops, learning to do parkour tricks.  Once you've got a star or two in all the time trials, go back and do the story again and this time you'll feel like a badass action hero.   Mirror's Edge rewards skill more than most games -- it's a qualitatively different and better game if you've learned how to play it well.

So I replayed Mirror's Edge (maybe for the first time on PC) and for the first time I managed to do it without firing a shot and then there's no achievement :(

Anyway, perhaps time trials are the meat of this game rather than the main story. It's fun to do them, but I think the two-stars qualifier times are a bit evilly balanced -- mostly it took me a few attempts to get a 1-star rating. And then followed by tens of attempts to get 2-star (possibly spending an hour or so honing my moves) and often you are then set just making minor improvements to get the 3-star rating, as 2-star already includes the "big secret shortcut" of the level (like

the vents

in the first time trial level)

The lack of unqualified ghost is also not understood as you might spend several runs on some harder levels before you qualify

So I replayed Mirror's Edge (maybe for the first time on PC) and for the first time I managed to do it without firing a shot and then there's no achievement :(

What? There was one on the Xbox ... Also, you have to fire that one shot.

Yeah there's definitely a big 80G achievement for beating the game without firing a shot, if you play it on 360.

What? There was one on the Xbox ... Also, you have to fire that one shot.

Which shot? Oh you mean the training. I think that didn't count. I did accidentally fire a shot when I had just disarmed a guy later in the game, though.

PS I think I had it somewhat wrong about what bothers me about the 2nd level qualifier times -- actually it is that the 2-star one demands a certain amount of perfection, as well as knowledge of shortcuts. It would be fine if the 2nd level was more lax and allowed a few mistakes, but required you to know some shortcuts. Then the 3-star one would be left for perfecting your run.

Also it's incredible how much variety to the movement and momentum I discover (or remember, since I played on Xbox) only during the time trials and not during the story mode.

No I mean the one shot you have to take towards the end to progress. There's a gun, and you have to fire ...

I've been playing the time trials a lot. Got 3 stars on almost all except cranes 2 and shard one. Those will surrender too, eventually. It takes time though. Maybe a couple of hours for some levels to get to the point of getting 3 stars.

I hope the sequel still has some kind of time trials. Also, I wonder whether this would be good with the Oculus Rift, or maybe it would be very disorienting.

Wow, this is a dusty old thread.

Has anyone else played Mirror's Edge: Catalyst?

I finished it the other day. The movement is a lot tighter, and the somewhat open world suits the abilities you have a lot better too. However, the story is rubbish and the characters is really bland or unlikeable. If anyone is playing this, I'd recommend turning runner vision to classic mode or completely off. It makes you actually think about what you're doing rather than following the red ghost to the cutscene.

Hadn't realized it was out already. I will likely get it at some point, having really liked the first one, including the abstract add-on.