Sign in to follow this  
Niyeaux

Mirror's Edge 2. I'm not even fucking joking.

I just finished a re-playing of Mirror's Edge over the weekend. Still just as great, and now I can't wait for this new one.

and it shouldn't be about massive multiplayer

I was trying to think of a joke about there being multiplayer, but then I started actually thinking about what that might be like.  If done correctly, I think Mirror's Edge multiplayer could be interesting.  Screw deathmatch or any kind of combat type shit.  Imagine a crazy game of tag over rooftops or the abstract space from the first game's DLC.  Maybe races against people (and not top ghosts) in randomly generated maps.  Or some kind of hide and seek or capture the flag.  Basically, I want a first person kids game with lots of running and parkour.

I would love a game that combines the gameplay of Mirror's Edge with the multiplayer of Trackmania.

That is pretty much my perfect dream world multiplayer Mirror's Edge game.

Imagine being able to tag in other runners in your single player campaign, like something out of Dark Souls? fffffyes.

TEDIOUS?!

I think I played a special good build of Mirror's Edge that no one else got.

What I remember was that the game was balanced around taking guns off people and clearing out enemies, and the way that everyone wanted to play it - non-combat unless someone was right in your way - was an optional challenge the game wasn't balanced around for first-time players.

After about level 4 or so, once per level I'd get stuck in an area where I just kept failing over and over again, and it was pretty much always due to men with guns getting a bead on me in a section where I had no easy way to avoid them. And then in I think level 8 there's this jump where you have to wall-run onto a suspended crate and then wall-run again onto a building 20 metres away, and at that point they'd taken away the part of the game I was liking, so I just gave up.

Who the hell wanted to play it without combat?

Without guns, definitely, but without combat?! Hell no. You jump at them, if you can't avoid it. Slide at them. Do whatever it takes to knock them out or disarm them.

FLYING DRAGON KICK OKAY.

Sure, a Mirror's Edge MMO might be sweet, but no matter what is revealed about this game until its release, people will freak out about EA not "getting" it. Obviously they'll be interested in making it appeal to fans of the first game, but also to cool bro gamers. Trailers will be combat-heavy and there will be combos and sweet takedowns. They might start talking about DLC and season passes, and how you will be able to upgrade or customize your runatar to show-off to your bro friends on Runlog. Everyone will explode in rage a million times before  this thing is out. But it'll probably be good.

Best way to play the game was to disarm, shoot all the bullets left in the clip and throw the gun away without breaking your stride.

Also, I hope they tighten the game up this time around. A few jumps have you saying "oh come on!" when you miss.

This is great. It'll obviously keep the important aspects of the original, like a strict first-person view, focus on traversal and ability to play non-killingly, and it will probably get a bit too much of the EA triple-A treatment, and there will be headlines about it that will get people up in arms because it's this wonderful, precious treasure of a game that EA's too evil and greedy to treat with the proper care and respect, and it shouldn't be about massive multiplayer or playing on all your tablets or whatever, but it will probably still be great, at least much better than TITANFALL.

Are you one of these two dudes?:

mjpw2vP.jpg

I've never understood some people's beef with the tricky(ish) jumps. It's a game in which the primary gameplay mechanic is jumping, why would you want all the jumping to be easy?

Sorry, I meant that the game was wildly inconsistent when it came to jumps you could pull yourself up on. Sometimes you bump into the edge, others Faith pulled herself up. This would happen if your angle was just slightly off.

The producers have acknowledged this and said they were going to fix it this time around.

Yeah actually the last time I played it I kept missing the pipe in that first or second level (you know the one). That was definitely an "Oh, come on!" moment for sure. I might go back and do another run through as it really is a lovely experience, warts aside.

I love games that challenge you to be graceful in them. By that I mean, you can complete the level tripping your way through but you WANT to do it and look cool while doing it. This is also the reason I so thoroughly enjoyed Dishonored.

Sorry, I meant that the game was wildly inconsistent when it came to jumps you could pull yourself up on. Sometimes you bump into the edge, others Faith pulled herself up. This would happen if your angle was just slightly off.

The producers have acknowledged this and said they were going to fix it this time around.

It's still kind of weird to see that the people who make Mirror's Edge2 are acknowledging that it's a thing.

Maybe there'll be some sort of prequel backstory about what happened to Faith's distinctive visage. Maybe this time it's the story of Clone Faith: Fairy Face Edition?

http://www.computerandvideo games.com/413684/mirrors-edge-2-is-open-world-says-ea-exec/

not sure if want

A HUGE part of the appeal was the puzzle-like approach to level design they took. Finding the right path, the safest path to start, the most efficient path when I got good at the game... Open-world CAN technically enable that sort of feeling in a more "I'm choosing to do it like THIS" kind of way, but I'm not sure if that's what I want from Mirror's Edge. ):

Also, I definitely agree that ME could be inconsistent with its jump/mantling mechanics. I learned to cope despite that flaw, but it'd be a better game with it fixed.

OBVS

That could just mean more open spaces separated by choke points (like Dishonored). In fact, ME2 will hopefully take quite a few queues from Dishonored in terms of mantling tech. (Not so much in terms of magic power obviously)

open spaces separated by choke points

Far Cry Action-BubblesTM

That could just mean more open spaces separated by choke points (like Dishonored). In fact, ME2 will hopefully take quite a few queues from Dishonored in terms of mantling tech. (Not so much in terms of magic power obviously)

I'm pretty sure that's not what I want out of Mirror's Edge. It already had semi-open spaces, but the paths you could take were still pretty obvious, and you were always a KNOWN ENTITY to the enemies. It was just about finding the most efficient path. I liked that. It wasn't about trying to avoid them, but instead about trying to get PAST them. Dishonored is a different kind of game. It's a stealth game. Or at least, that's how I played it, and I don't want to play that game any other way, either.

I didn't suggest that it should be a stealth game. I do think it would be interesting to be able to get to the same point through a variety of different paths. There was really only ever one path in Mirror's Edge, which kind of took away some of your agency. It was more about following the red markers as opposed to figuring out your way through an environment based on architectural queues.

In some cases sure there was only one path. Definitely was NOT universally true, though. I can think of several specific instances off the top of my head and I haven't played the game in years.

I do like the almost puzzle-like aspect of finding the fastest route through an area, but the parts of Mirror's Edge I really loved were just running and figuring out the path on the fly.  After some time, I eventually started to see shorter routes without having to replay a section.  Sliding under a pipe then going into a wall run into a wall jump into a 180 jump into another wall run etc. is so much more fun the first time.  It got progressively less exciting each time I replayed an area and found a slightly shorter method.  If an open world let me experience that more often, I might be into it.

Yeah obviously I am just shootin' the shit here. It might turn out for the best!

I don't really agree with the second-time-around being less fun (I loved trying to find the shortest path and did a lot of the time trials), but you can still get that with a more open playspace.

Yeah obviously I am just shootin' the shit here. It might turn out for the best!

I don't really agree with the second-time-around being less fun (I loved trying to find the shortest path and did a lot of the time trials), but you can still get that with a more open playspace.

Fair enough.  I can understand why people like to redo things to perfection, I'm just not one of those people.  My personality tends to favor the initial experience over subsequent ones (which sadly means first impressions are very hard for me to get past) so I liked just going into a situation I'd never been in before, doing a bunch of cool stuff, and saying "Man, that was awesome".  I can imagine an open area giving me more opportunity for that to happen than a series of somewhat confined corridors.  Not that doing the time trials or the DLC wasn't fun, I just didn't get as much out of it the second or third time.

I read today that this game will be open world :/ How the hell will that work? The city skyline will be utterly littered with cranes so you can get from building to building, and there will be lots of trips in glass elevators and between ground level and skyrise roof top there is 60 floors of uninteresting gameplay environments

I bet this wont be 'true' free world, it'll just have linked up levels like dark souls or tomb raider, It'll be more like several 'circuits' around the game world. You'll probably be able to run a lap around the entire game world in like an hour