Sno

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

got the helmet for my sweet Varia Suit! I need space boots

I have the Varia boots if you want them, where would one go about obtaining replacement shoes?  Maybe I should become the town hobo who is also somehow mayor, which would have some hilarious sitcom-esque effects on the personal story of my town.

Apparently a shoe store opens up later. And I will totally take those shoes at a time when it isn't the middle of the night. We can schedule something. =u=

ALSO: I did it. I havve 1,000,000 bells in the bank. I already have a top hat, now I need a monocle accessory.

HOLY COW, YOU CAN STACK FRUIT IN YOUR INVENTORY.

I wish I knew this earlier.

Which it doesn't do automatically. WELCOME TO ANIMAL CROSSING.

Yes. This game is the biggest collection of terrible, terrible design decisions I've come across in a while. There's just so much wrong with the user interface, I don't see why everyone is so jazzed about the game – the stuff that does work has to become fucking amazing at some point.

Yes. This game is the biggest collection of terrible, terrible design decisions I've come across in a while. There's just so much wrong with the user interface, I don't see why everyone is so jazzed about the game – the stuff that does work has to become fucking amazing at some point.

As somebody who has followed the series along, i'm having a hard time being particularly angry about any of the shortcomings of New Leaf's UI. They're small issues, relative to the significant, frustrating grievances i've had with previous games in the series. (HOTKEYS! THANK GOD THERE ARE HOTKEYS.)

Still, there are certainly things in New Leaf that still really bug me though, like that fruit not automatically stacking, or Porter asking me twice in a row if i REALLY want to connect to the internet.

That other comment there though, that you don't see why people are jazzed about New Leaf, can you elaborate? That feels like a topic in itself, separate from the UI issues.

No, I definitely see the  appeal, and it was very satisfying to able to hand Nook the first ten grand, and finding a rare butterfly is totally sweet. There's just so much annoying stuff that I now associate the game with terrible inventory management and tedious dialogue instead of what I'm supposed to be having fun doing. I'm walking around and see a sweet fish or whatever – oh shit, now I have to spend a million years in my inventory screen to switch to my fishing rod. Want to shake that tree? Enter the inventory screen and hit the character, and then the option for unequipping whatever I'm holding. The fucking arbitrary cursor that makes everything exist somewhere between pure button and stylus-based navigation. Why am I moving a mouse cursor around with my a joystick? What is this, North & South for the Amiga?! Want to visit the museum to get something checked out and maybe donate it? Hey, do a million conversations and weird dialogue that branches differently based on whether you selected one item or more than one. This game is tiny – why are there loading screens between everything (the game is probably not to blame, since the 3DS is pathetically slow in everything it does.) My impression is that they either developed this game in a terrible way, so that they made last minute changes that turned out unfortunate (adding the joystick cursor as a last-minute replacement for the stylus,) or that they're intentionally adding time-consuming bullshit everywhere to make the player feel more satisfied when they finally get something done. I should mention that I've only played this game for maybe an hour or two, and that I have no knowledge of any legacy stuff they're bringing with them from the sequels that makes perfect sense for super-fans. Also, there's a bunch of stuff I love about the game, so the reason I don't understand why people love it so, is that I don't get how they put up with everything being so damn tedious.

No, I definitely see the  appeal, and it was very satisfying to able to hand Nook the first ten grand, and finding a rare butterfly is totally sweet. There's just so much annoying stuff that I now associate the game with terrible inventory management and tedious dialogue instead of what I'm supposed to be having fun doing. I'm walking around and see a sweet fish or whatever – oh shit, now I have to spend a million years in my inventory screen to switch to my fishing rod. Want to shake that tree? Enter the inventory screen and hit the character, and then the option for unequipping whatever I'm holding.

Hang on, no. No, you don't. Stop making this horrible for yourself. Hotkeys. Left and right on the d-pad cycle through your tools, pressing down on the d-pad unequips stuff. Those are the hotkeys i'm talking about, they don't make you fumble with the inventory like that anymore.

The fucking arbitrary cursor that makes everything exist somewhere between pure button and stylus-based navigation. Why am I moving a mouse cursor around with my a joystick? What is this, North & South for the Amiga?! Want to visit the museum to get something checked out and maybe donate it? Hey, do a million conversations and weird dialogue that branches differently based on whether you selected one item or more than one. This game is tiny – why are there loading screens between everything (the game is probably not to blame, since the 3DS is pathetically slow in everything it does.) My impression is that they either developed this game in a terrible way, so that they made last minute changes that turned out unfortunate (adding the joystick cursor as a last-minute replacement for the stylus,) or that they're intentionally adding time-consuming bullshit everywhere to make the player feel more satisfied when they finally get something done. I should mention that I've only played this game for maybe an hour or two, and that I have no knowledge of any legacy stuff they're bringing with them from the sequels that makes perfect sense for super-fans. Also, there's a bunch of stuff I love about the game, so the reason I don't understand why people love it so, is that I don't get how they put up with everything being so damn tedious.

The rest of these things are pretty reasonable complaints.

Also, and it's going to sound like bullshit, but you kind of really can't know what this game even is with only two hours into it, because it's designed in such a way that it will continually trickle out new locations and events over the course of months. You start out with only a tiny fraction of the total game available and with no legitimate way of wringing it out at your own pace. If it starts feeling tedious, it's time to put it away for the time being and check back in during the next day.

Animal Crossing is weird though, it's pretty weird.

Apparently New Leaf tracks the steps of all the players in a town, so over time the grass will start to die along trampled paths and grow denser where there are flowers.

Animal Crossing is secretly that kind of weird. It's constantly surprising and strange in new and interesting ways.

Ah, thanks, those hotkeys are sweet! I wonder if they planned to tell me about them. They told me how to do it the hard way (though not about clicking the character to unequip.) Did I miss anything?

But yes, sure, all that cool stuff is what led me to buy it in the first place. With the hotkeys, my biggest complaint has been rendered invalid, but I'm still flabbergasted that they released the game with all the rest of the weird interface stuff. That stuff doesn't automatically stack is seriously mind-blowing to me, and such a huge issue that my trust in Nintendo as a high-quality game developer is shaken to its very core and full of cracks, etc. I've played a lot of Mario games, and I'm always pleased at how polished everything is, and this is like a completely opposite thing.

Anyway, now that I'll be able to fish and net and shake at will like some ninja, I'll definitely keep visiting once a day.

Apparently a shoe store opens up later. And I will totally take those shoes at a time when it isn't the middle of the night. We can schedule something. =u=

ALSO: I did it. I havve 1,000,000 bells in the bank. I already have a top hat, now I need a monocle accessory.

I've got a monocle. If it were three days ago, I would be keeping it for myself, but I found a sweet VR visor, and now I want to go cyborg.

I promised someone I'd find them a peacock butterfly and I tried I really did but I couldn't find one anywhere!!!

Is it me or is the tropical island almost game breaking?

It seems the mini-game islands are randomly generated and they all have rare fruits, so.... you could play the shortest one, go only for the fruits and play until your "transfer box" is full? And since you can stack fruit, that's a lotta bells! 

I haven't tried it myself, all I did was play the same game a few times and the islands were different each time, so I assume they possibilities are infinite? Even if they are not, it's still a lot of money.

Is it me or is the tropical island almost game breaking?

It seems the mini-game islands are randomly generated and they all have rare fruits, so.... you could play the shortest one, go only for the fruits and play until your "transfer box" is full? And since you can stack fruit, that's a lotta bells! 

I haven't tried it myself, all I did was play the same game a few times and the islands were different each time, so I assume they possibilities are infinite? Even if they are not, it's still a lot of money.

You can also go after 7pm and do nothing but catch beetles and finned fish. A transfer full box of finned fish will get you 600,000 bells.

but but but it totally redeems itself with silly stuff like "as the mayor, welcome to my pockets"

I'm not even kidding.

I'd like to just state how much I love the fact that -after previous games permanently assigning you male or female clothing- any player in New Leaf can wear any clothing item regardless of gender. NPCs will notice it, but never be insulting, and the only noticeable effect on gameplay seems to be that wearing skirts gives players a slightly different run animation. Good show, Nintendo.

ZpGGB2U.jpg

Things like that considered, i'm finding it increasingly weird that there is no player character skin color other than white, i've personally seen a few people be quite perturbed by this.

Hmm, seeing how the game generates your gender and face depending on the questions you are asked at the beginning... how would you even ask about your skin tone? 

That is pretty weird. Didn't earlier versions let you choose a skin color? I seem to remember that being the case..

There have never been multiple skin colors unless you count getting a tan on the island.

Wow. That is a weird thing to never include. "Customize EVERYTHING! Except you're always white with brown hair." Or can hair color be changed?

Ok, there was apparently a Mii mask in City Folk

and if that mask was another skin tone your hands and feet changed to match it. But why it isn't just a choice when you click your picture in the inventory, I just don't understand..

I got a swank new basement! I made it classier than the rest of the house for some reason. I got a park bench, too, which is helping to make my ongoing park project a reality. Tomorrow I'm having a side room and a park clock put in. Can't wait.

Apparently New Leaf tracks the steps of all the players in a town, so over time the grass will start to die along trampled paths and grow denser where there are flowers.

Animal Crossing is secretly that kind of weird. It's constantly surprising and strange in new and interesting ways.

If anyone's got a TV yet, did you know that there's an actual programming schedule? At first it seems like you just get a random simple animation every time you turn on the TV, but it's based on the time of day and roughly works in fifteen-to-thirty-minute intervals. It includes things like weather reports, Saturday morning cartoons, and an alien transmission that plays for exactly one minute at 3:33 in the morning on Sundays in between static and test pattterns.

What were doing up playing Animal Crossing at 3:33AM? ;P

Geez, I almost filled my box with fruits from the island and made about 70,000 bells. I could pay any loan in a day if I wanted to, but that would shorten the lifespan of the game drastically.

I unlocked more difficult challenges in the island's minigames, but... the reward seems to be the same? I could swear the area had more fruit to pick though. 

That link Tanu just posted about the art pieces makes want to bang my head against a wall. That is so subtle and clever, i hate myself for not picking up on those details.

If anyone's got a TV yet, did you know that there's an actual programming schedule? At first it seems like you just get a random simple animation every time you turn on the TV, but it's based on the time of day and roughly works in fifteen-to-thirty-minute intervals. It includes things like weather reports, Saturday morning cartoons, and an alien transmission that plays for exactly one minute at 3:33 in the morning on Sundays in between static and test pattterns.

Continuing on with neat, weird things: I was reading a thing about tree stumps causing mushrooms to grow around them. I believe it goes that when you cut down a tree, if the tree ring is a pattern anything other than the expected bullseye, leave the stump in place and mushrooms will eventually start growing around it.

As for the mini-game challenges accessible from the island, one of the things i took away from them is that you get to keep any non-objective things you collect during them, and the randomly generated spaces are usually filled with rare stuff. Seems like you're trying to balance actually completing the objective against filling your pockets with stuff.

Has anybody unlocked the club membership  yet? What does it do?

As for my town, i've upgraded my house twice and started work on a bridge to offer another way across the exceptionally circuitious and obstructive river winding through my village. Leif's shop also opened up on my main street, but most of the empty spaces remain empty.

I need tables for my house, nobody is selling any tables.