Sean

Dota Today 2: The Lord's Pitch

I'm confused. She hits people with a sword and jumps around and has a shield. She's not doing anything special there, besides killing three people.

Well, except wearing a bunny outfit. "Hey let's design a character that isn't about tits, since we have enough of those... and then release a skin for her that is about tits! PEOPLE BUY THIS SHIT!" Classy.

Tell me what makes that video interesting, because I'm not seeing it.

Disregarding this, uh, stuff. '~'

Purge is a decent resource with his Purge Plays videos. Honestly, how he plays his heroes is usually too greedy, he is rarely contested in his lanes and rarely plays a proper support. He does however give good examples of mistakes and items to get, and his general attitude is pretty much perfect in terms of how to conduct yourself.

I'm confused. She hits people with a sword and jumps around and has a shield. She's not doing anything special there, besides killing three people.

Well, except wearing a bunny outfit. "Hey let's design a character that isn't about tits, since we have enough of those... and then release a skin for her that is about tits! PEOPLE BUY THIS SHIT!" Classy.

Tell me what makes that video interesting, because I'm not seeing it.

Well, that's reductionist as hell.

First things first, bunny outfit: The playboy outfit isn't just just about tits. It's classy sexualization, combined with a pun about her Q(being hops).

Now, then, as to what makes her so special:

You've got a character who can scale almost entirely off of a single stat- which oddly, doesn't just make her stronger, but actually ends up restricting her in interesting ways as well.

Second, you've got the fact that her Q is functionally a melee-range skillshot. This lets you use it without having to face your enemy, and in fact, can use it in such a way that you can curve yourself around your enemy while you use it, with smart control. Doing this perfectly can even let you knock the person back with the 3rd Q in whatever direction you like.

Third, you have the way her passive works. And the way the bonus AD on her ultimate works(as well as the bonus range on everything, etc).

But this is all window dressing to what it all means.

No, she doesn't have combos in the same vein as Invoker, but his are less combos in the fighting game sense, and more combos in almost a rhythm game sequence sense.

But the way both all 3 uses of her Q, as well as her E, moves her the small amount- the quick motions, the positioning, the small effects on her enemy. Her shield effectively acting as a block(as it has one of the shortest durations in the game). She plays almost like a fighting game character. Where she doesn't, she still plays unique to any character I've played in any other LoMa.

Also, if you don't see what's interesting in that video(in terms of straight-up skill), I'm guessing you just haven't played League? Or Riven? What he pulled off there is impressive to pretty much anybody.

Playboy outfit. Classy sexualization.

SNORTS.

Don't get all huffy with me. It's a boring video! Sorry! Your explanation helps a bit, but I dunno. Doesn't really stand out in the genre as a whole. Seems pretty par for the course. Lots of focus on positioning. Sounds like just about any other highly mobile dude. Maybe it feels different if you play her. I'll never know because why would I pay for a character in a game I don't play anymore, but whatever.

EDIT: I watched the video again with this newfound knowledge about how she actually works. Made a bit more sense, but I still don't feel like it stands out all that much within the genre.

Also, I never said it wasn't impressive. Just that it wasn't interesting. I know that's a weird thing to say and doesn't really make sense, but hopefully it makes sense! Either way, obviously that's subjective and if you like her, cool!

So far, we're 2 for 2 on threads devolving into Dota vs LoL debates, and I don't think anyone wants that.

Actually this one's just pretty much "talk about LoL" without the versus. U:

Also to be honest literally the only way to avoid it entirely is to ban talking about LoL in these threads, and I don't think anyone wants that, either.

So far, we're 2 for 2 on threads devolving into Dota vs LoL debates, and I don't think anyone wants that.

I wasn't going to comment on it explicitly, but yeah this is pretty dire.

pun intended

I wasn't going to comment on it explicitly, but yeah this is pretty dire.

pun intended

:rubik:

I didn't know how to express the thing I would be doing if this was a real life conversation, so instead I looked for an emoticon to do it for me.

Interesting. I hope nobody is treating this discussion as a literal "which is better" between the two games, because I'm fairly certain it's not.

But the way both all 3 uses of her Q, as well as her E, moves her the small amount- the quick motions, the positioning, the small effects on her enemy. Her shield effectively acting as a block(as it has one of the shortest durations in the game). She plays almost like a fighting game character. Where she doesn't, she still plays unique to any character I've played in any other LoMa.

Would anyone agree that Dota Lords are simply much more "restrained" than LoL Lords? I mean I've played Riven, and the reason I think your fighting game character comparison stands is because, in that short clip you provided, she doesnt even hit level 6 until her double kill, and then proceeds to cast both parts of her ult twice. It's definitely the LOMA equiv. of spamming hadouken.

Hell, the fact that at one point in the video she has EIGHT buffs/debuffs on her simultaneously is proof enough that in League, there's just a lot more shit going on. There are very few Dota heroes that are as mobile as Riven so early on, and Twig probably isn't looking at crazy dps like that as an "interesting" hero. For a lot of Dota lords, managing mana and cooldown are essential to their play, and very few will allow that sort of liberal usage of abilities, even late into the game.

EDIT: Again, neither is particularly better than the other.

I have to admit I was mildly dissapointed upon realization that the name of the episode was not, in fact, "The Lord's Patch" in reference to the recent release of 6.78 - because it is truly a Lordly patch.

Loving the new show.

I don't want to restrict any convo but would we be better off just creating a LOMA BATTLE ROYALE thread where people can go to have these arguments and keep the episode threads about the actual episode? I know it came up on this ep (so, yeah, whatever) but it's not really an argument I'm very interested in and not what I want much of the show to be about. Thoughts?

Would anyone agree that Dota Lords are simply much more "restrained" than LoL Lords?

This is literally the opposite of a thing I would agree with.

Edit: actually, forget that, this isn't a road I want to go down.

I don't want to restrict any convo but would we be better off just creating a LOMA BATTLE ROYALE thread where people can go to have these arguments and keep the episode threads about the actual episode? I know it came up on this ep (so, yeah, whatever) but it's not really an argument I'm very interested in and not what I want much of the show to be about. Thoughts?

Haha. I like the idea, but I fear it'd turn out worse than that Feminist Frequency thread. O:

I'm not sure how well it'd work. Although I suppose eventually everyone would get so annoyed that we'd all be policing ourselves and each other at every turn just to avoid anything outside the free-for-all thread.

Hooo boy. SHOTS FIRED. Actually, I would have agreed with you a couple years ago when I quit League, but I'm convinced Riot has made some great strides in that regard. I still don't think they're better at it than Icefrog/(I wonder if Valve in general has any say in new heroes at this point), though.

Edit: actually, forget that, this isn't a road I want to go down.

Apologies, then.

Yes, please. I see that stuff and my eyes glaze over.

:rubik:

I didn't know how to express the thing I would be doing if this was a real life conversation, so instead I looked for an emoticon to do it for me.

Highlight my last post for bonus.

Regarding Disrutor/Glimpse. He is one of my favourite supports to play right now. His utility spells are just both so interesting. Using glimpse to send people back who TP, to position them or just to cancel a channel is rad. His kinetic field has a lot of use as well. I love that it creates an impassable wall on both sides for both creeps and heroes. Put it down behind a tower , and creeps get stuck on the far side of it, and  can't defend it for 2.5 to 4 seconds! His nuke even provides utility since it provides vision on the target for 6 whole seconds after the patch. Cast it, and glimpse on the 3rd strike and you bring them back to where they were when it was cast. His ulti is good fun as well.

Oh, and Axe totally doesn't suck! I think jungling him is sometimes a very bad idea if you can't make an impact on mid and the easy lane, but having 2 levels of battle hunger basically ensures a kill on most heroes, with a gank. Stack the easy camp and spin on it while regenerating off of a tango, and that's level 2, get another camp or two and that's level 3, gank with lvl 2 battle hunger. You provide so much space for your safe lane and mid by doing this. He works great in lane as well, especially if he can solo and get experience, since battle hunger is so dominant with a few levels. I do think his berserker's call isn't great, and trying to build him blink like suggested leaves him with too many mana issues. Play him as a gank heavy caster who is supposed to get those hungers out and ult when possible and he makes supports wither, allowing you to push towers down early. Get tranquil boots, urn, eul's and aghanim's scepter and you can provide a lot of utility.

I was interested in having discussion in the general Lords Management thread, but in my couple attempts it appeared all of the League of Legends had been successfully removed from the thread previously. I think the fact that these are fresh threads where people don't already have dozens to hundreds of posts in them makes people feel like it's more even ground?

I tried to keep my point relevant to the discussion on the actual cast, but I guess I did still say the LoL word.

In regards to Axe does anyone still double stout shield with him?  I know it was one of the most common builds in WC3 at one point and in HoN it was considered core, but I don't even know if they even stack in the Dota 2 engine.

dont ever see it now. So I'm guessing it doesn't work. Also on Axe, pretty funny laning with him with warlock, battle hunger and lock's dot = dead people.

They both have a chance to proc, but only one block is applied. 40% chance to not block on one, then of that 40% you have another 40% chance to not block which is .4*40%=16%. So you have 84% chance to block with 2.

They both have a chance to proc, but only one block is applied. 40% chance to not block on one, then of that 40% you have another 40% chance to not block which is .4*40%=16%. So you have 84% chance to block with 2.

Interestingly enough, blocks are still calculated pseudo randomly, meaning that a single stout really only goes about 53% of the time. The double stout plus 3 tangos still seems valid.

Arguable if just getting more trees isnt the best option anyway.

YzryYCp.png

http://www.lords.org/

I already linked this on the first page, but I realized this is a good opportunity for some enterprising individual to use some of that Photoshop and make something with some humor value to it.

Interestingly enough, blocks are still calculated pseudo randomly, meaning that a single stout really only goes about 53% of the time. The double stout plus 3 tangos still seems valid.

Arguable if just getting more trees isnt the best option anyway.

I've seen an axe that bought 2 stout shields and then didn't jungle. it did not seem very good to me.

It would probably just be better to make a LoL thread in Video games so people can talk about LoL, which they obviously want to do.

Edit: Also Axe (and Darius for my LoL peeps (he is basically Axe)) totally sucks and is a boring hero.

I've seen an axe that bought 2 stout shields and then didn't jungle. it did not seem very good to me.

I just like jungle heroes so I would never play axe that way.  could imagine that a lot of solo lane heroes could benefit from the extra protection, though.