melmer

Double Fine - Kickstarter - MASSIVE CHALICE

I only jsut found out on the giantbombcast that this game was announced for Xbox One.

Good new for the console that they are actually getting some of the smaller titles.

Seems like it is right now. But given Double Fine's track record, I think it will probably turn up else where after a certain period of time. I don't think they want to go back to the days of platform lock in.

Oh man, 2 weeks to go, and I'm totally indecisive on my BLOODLINE! Does anybody dig on any of these sigils?!

Spoiled for 5 large-ish pictures. 

01) Winged Serpent

winged-beast_zpse59e622b.gif

02) Up the Punx

up-the-punx_zpsb3acc18c.gif

03) Blasphemer (this probably would get bounced by their filter?)

crookedcross_zps73d8aa47.gif

04) Key & Serpent

snakeampkey_zpsc846be51.gif

05) Lightning Squid

lightningsquid_zpsed482ae6.gif

I like the first two the best.

I kinda wish that I'd kickstarted up to the bloodline level.

Oh man, 2 weeks to go, and I'm totally indecisive on my BLOODLINE! Does anybody dig on any of these sigils?!

I like the quartered one. It feels authentic. Any reason the House of Snake and the House of Key married?

I still have no idea what I'm doing, my sigil is probably done unless I decide to change my mind, but in tyerms of my motto and anything I have nothing.

Spoiled for 5 large-ish pictures. 

I actually like Blasphemer, but I'm a sucker for cheesy art that looks like it could be on a heavy metal album cover. 

My schedule for this weekend is basically to work on this stuff.

I'm for the lightning squid, myself. Looks like an authentic banner but is also weird and visually interesting.

I am having a lot of difficulty with coming up with a good battle cry

I am having a lot of difficulty with coming up with a good battle cry

Do you want something clever (like Thumb or pop culture reference), or something serious?  Rattle off some things about how you play games like these, see if the forum can brainstorm something out for you. 

There was a while where I was thinking of just taking the clan name of Baron literally and having the motto be one of the various things my grandfather, Alfred Baron, used to say (he was Jewish and would always go "amongst my people we have a saying" which he would follow up with one of his many sayings).  However I couldn't decide if I wanted to have everything be in English try and ask my dad what the original Yiddish was.  I know DF said they're fine with people having thing that aren't in English, I think they actually encourage it, but I'm assuming there is a very small number of people who will play the game that would actually understand it.  Anyways, as I was thinking about it I sort of realized that I didn't really feel comfortable going down that path given that the game is about the supremacy of bloodlines and my grandfather was an Austrian Jew born in 1917 and he went through some really fucked up stuff.  So now I'm back to square one and I have basically two days to go.  I guess worst case scenario I can just google "Latin mottos" and pick something.

How about "ORBIS NON SUFFICIT"?

edit: or "VENIT HIEMS"

I guess worst case scenario I can just google "Latin mottos" and pick something.

How about you tap the skills of your local forum's resident Latin expert?

How about "ORBIS NON SUFFICIT"?

edit: or "VENIT HIEMS"

The first one's not bad, but "venio" doesn't have the same sense of drawing near in time that "come" does in English. "Hiems venit" sounds to me like "Winter's coming over." Maybe better "hiems appropinquat," if anything.

My bad, everyone. Latin is my best skill but one that no one cares about.

One of my bigger regrets from my highschool period is turning down the offer to join my school's delegation to the international Cicero translation competition in Rome out of laziness/fear of failure.

O vanitas :(

"Hiems venit" sounds to me like "Winter's coming over."

That sentence just spawned an entire Monty Python sketch in my head.

Man: Winter is coming..

Wife: Like, coming over, for dinner?

Man: No, like, coming, you know...

Wife: Like, cumming, sexually.

Man: No, no, no, you know, winter, the season, is coming. The inevitability of the change and all that.

Wife: Well of course winter is coming, it's always coming, unless it's here. Unless you mean it's coming next week. Oh dear, if it's coming next week, I need to bring some things in from the garden.

Man: NO! It's about the inevitability of death, about....

And so on.

My bad, everyone. Latin is my best skill but one that no one cares about.

I knew you'd be over to correct Google's translation! So, are there any cool actual Latin phrases that Baron could use? Ones that Latin scholars would get a kick out of if they saw?

I knew you'd be over to correct Google's translation! So, are there any cool actual Latin phrases that Baron could use? Ones that Latin scholars would get a kick out of if they saw?

There was a great publisher's motto I came across while doing my summer job at the Rare Book Room here: "percussum quod tercussum." It means something like "stabbed through because stabbed thrice." I think it's funny nonsense, but my classicist friend got really flustered when he read it, because tercutio isn't a real verb. Latin pranks!

I've always been a lover of translating odd shit into the aptest Latin possible. Give me a sentiment and I'll translate it, and probably put some jokes to myself in it, too.

How about "If a woman thinks something is sexist, then it is"? ;)

How about "If a woman thinks something is sexist, then it is"? ;)

"Si femina credat quendam misogyniam esse, misogyniam est." It's too long for a motto, isn't it? Unless you had a really fucking huge shield with like three boar heads looking out at different angles.

Also, ten points from Gryffindor for making me sweat for five minutes trying to think of how to translate a certain type of discrimination into a language without the concept of discrimination at all, before I just decided to borrow a preexisting Greek word. I then spent another five minute trying to decide whether the "quendam" is necessary. Still haven't decided that, yet.

Motto: Lords do not manage themselves

Battlecry: Cry havoc, and let loose the lords of war in a measured, thoughtful turn based manner!  - Lame, I know, but I seriously can't think of a good battlecry for this game that's not sickeningly cheesy.