jmbossy

No Ambitions, any advice?

I would just take the plunge, figure it out. I wasted years by trying to avoid being an art major, because "Starving artist" and all that. In the end I was just miserable and finally am going to school for it. Will I succeed? Who knows, but I'm enjoying it and hopefully it will pan out to something. I get a lot of crap about making money from art from the parents, I've taken to ignoring that.

The worst thing you could do is do nothing.

I was on a games dev course of about 40 people in college, and only a couple of us actually pursued it as a career.

It was a 1:1 ratio, the people who made stuff for laffs when they were at home made a career of it, and the people who wouldn't didn't. I kept trying to get people to make stuff by themselves, but they're defense was always "I don't know how". Which is daft to me, because you can find out how to start basically anything right now by typing it into Youtube.

I tried a couple regular jobs when I was out of college, but I hated the regular-ass 9-5 adults and didn't fit in at all. Go to university and slob around for a while, more for the sake of growing comfortable with yourself and everyone else than to actually learn anything.

As an update to this post
I've actually started playing around with Game Development Software and have been having a blast! My artist friend is making some basic assets for practice and I'm going to see where this takes me.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their thoughts.

If you actually want to make money, go start taking classes at a technical school, welding, plumbing, or other hands-on real world related schooling. Nobody does this sort of work anymore, and people's wiring or plumbing will always need repairing. You won't be crippled with student loan debt, and you'll make more money out of the gate than you would with a graduate degree. One of the garage door installers I talked to yesterday said he took him 2600 bucks last week.

I still, to this day, wish I had gone to motorcycle maintenance school. Give me a dirty, sweaty shop over an office any day.

(incidentally, you could buy a motorcycle. That will make all your problems go away.)