Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 107: GIANTBOMB.COM

God, looking at this right next to the fair use discussion happening in this thread makes for a bleak snapshot of our society. I hate everything.

I'm going to go commit copyright infringement.

edit: or I suppose I should say "infringe some copyrights."

I was concerned that the internet was so amused by saying "xbone" that everyone would forget to make fun of how ridiculous it is for Microsoft to call their 3rd console the Xbox 1. 

Thank you, Idle Thumbs, for keeping your eye on the ball and mocking the news that matters most to me.

Television viewing tends to be a passive experience for a viewer

Books are passive because all you do is sit, TV/movies are passive because all you do is sit, but games are active because you sit and occasionally push a button.

The musician who uses an unlicensed sample doesn't lose the whole of his or her revenue. The copyright holder still has to prove damages. Quantification of damages is pretty complicated and varies from country to country. The aim is to compensate the copyright holder for the loss he or she incurred from the unauthorized use, and/or to force the copyright infringer to give up the profits he or she made from the infringement (but not all the revenues of the work, just those revenues that are attributable to infringement). Many countries also have compensation schemes set out by statute. 

Right, and if we were talking about Nintendo claiming a slice of the pie in this instance then my opinion would be quite different. As I mentioned in my piece before, I totally think that Nintendo did put in some of the work on these LPs and are therefore entitled to some of the profit. However, the way the system is set up, the ad revenue either goes entirely to Nintendo or entirely to the LPer, and if I have to pick one of the two who deserves it more, it ain't gonna be Nintendo.

TBH, Youtube is to blame for a lot of this. They seem to have absolutely no interest in protecting their content creators, which is fucking absurd and indicates a lack of healthy competition in the streaming video marketplace. I would very much like to see them usurped by a competitor on this basis, but since one of their major competitors was already taken down by corporate IP owners I'm definitely starting to get a sense of who's buttering whose bread here.

I've already got the perfect solution for the pickle flipping.

Just set up two complete systems on opposite sides of the room. The second jailbreaked XBone detects when the first wants you to flip your pickle, or shout 'McDonalds', and happlily complies. No need to get up off the couch! Ingenious!

God, looking at this right next to the fair use discussion happening in this thread makes for a bleak snapshot of our society. I hate everything.

I'm going to go commit copyright infringement.

edit: or I suppose I should say "infringe some copyrights."

Do a let's play of "how to get all the tv achievements"

Books are passive because all you do is sit

Wait until you see the new "Kindle Bop It".

Books can be active. I've hit people with books, so there.

any game with stealth needs some kind of stealth indicator (thief uses a light indicator) and they need this because games aren't realistic enough to support every option available to a real person, plus hud and indicators to me are just showing the skills of the character eg. my guy remembers the bullets i have fired and have left or how much health he has left (because that is a weird metaphorical representation of "heart") i don't want to have to remember ammo i have left, my guy can do that he is a marine or whatever he is trained to remember that stuff so i don't have to.

i think if people make money of "lets plays" the company that make the game has the right to a cut of that money, but they have to be careful because lets plays are the best advertisement for a game especially if someone who you trust is enjoying the game, so if nintendo just makes any lets plays of nintendo games non-profitable they will only be hurting their own profit because lets players would probably boycott them.

I'm sorry if I'm breaking some sort of unspoken rule or magical ward, but as someone who didn't start paying attention to video games industry stuff on the web until some time after the Xbox 360 release, could someone explain what makes J. Allard such a thing? I know he wore an Alan Wake costume and there was some other non-video game rumors, but what made him a cult sensation? His on-stage persona? Some other thing?

I'm sorry if I'm breaking some sort of unspoken rule or magical ward, but as someone who didn't start paying attention to video games industry stuff on the web until some time after the Xbox 360 release, could someone explain what makes J. Allard such a thing? I know he wore an Alan Wake costume and there was some other non-video game rumors, but what made him a cult sensation? His on-stage persona? Some other thing?

i don't know who he is, i think he is probably more industry famous than actual famous 

So just now I was polishing my computer case and found myself feeling a little ashamed. Thanks, Jake.