Sign in to follow this  
toblix

5 Minute Mystery

This here site has a ton of short murder mysteries. Each one has you read a short text, then identify who you think dunnit. Additionally, you can select incriminating/exonerating sentences as you go. After submitting your suspicion, you get some stats comparing you to the others, plus the conclusion (and solution) to the story.

If this sounds totally fucking radical, here's the link to it: http://www.5minutemystery.com/

Oooh, this looks like fun!

I remember having a book when I was a kid with 5 or 6 little mysteries in it, each one a short story and a couple of pictures accompanying it. It was very similar to this, in that you read the story and looked at the pictures and were supposed to figure out what really happened, with answers at the back of the book.

This reminds me of that, and I love it.

This is tickling the part of my brain that remembers obsessively reading Encyclopedia Brown books. But I warn you, if none of these mysteries involve a stolen tooth collection, I will be very disappointed.

Okay, now that I've actually solved a couple (100% correct so far, by the way), theres one other thing impressing me:

The stat tracking. My lord, the stats. Seeing how many people got it right, how many people choose other options. Seeing a chart of how time spent vs points gained.

Also, the highlighting for evidence is really neat. I am really enjoying this.

In 6th grade we had a series of books called Five Minute Mysteries in our class and everyone was super into them. I remember whenever we had our reading time everyone would race to snag them.

This sounds cool! I've been interested for a while in the idea of a detective story that actually lets the player do the detecting / accusing.

However, the first story I got was just...ehh. I was only able to get through a few paragraphs before I wanted to punch every character and the author in the back of their knees; I'll have to try again later and see if I hit an unfortunate trough in the quality of writing.

I did a couple and in all of them the clues were very heavy handed. I'm not sure if this is because they need to be in one clear sentence that you can label or if the authors just think they're more subtle than they actually are, but it got kind of annoying.