lumberbaron

Steam Trading Card

You might have to wait a bit depending on how long you've been inactive. I tried to sell all of my cards the other day and it wouldn't let me do so until 30 days had passed since my first Steam purchase last month. Prior to that I hadn't purchased anything on Steam in over a year and a half so I guess they expect some level of activity and a 30 day waiting period or something. 

If I recall correctly, before you can sell anything, you need to have made a purchase 30 days or more ago, but less than a year ago.

(I can start selling on August 11th!)

I just realized that I've gotten 100% achievements on two games, which doesn't have an effect anywhere else in the Steam ecosystem. It feels strange that something like cheesemints has no bearing on getting at least the first level of a game's badge, but sheer time spent in a game, coupled with a willingness to spend a little (or a lot) money on the marketplace, does.

So what's the verdict on the summer sale cards? Sell them off now or wait for a hypothetical future time when the cards become a dwindling finite supply as users maybe craft more badges?

Edit: Read last page. Hoarding it is.

Depends on how you plan to use the proceeds. If you sell them now in favor of buying other cards that will complete other game-specific badges, the extra XP/Steam level could increase your chance of getting random drops from other games. Theoretically, turning in the opportunity value right now this could be worth more than whatever increase the cards may enjoy over time.

I've been flipping cards the whole time made back what I sprang on the sale. I also bought a ton when they were going for an average of 15 cents and I'm going to sell those off as the prices get higher. Saving a set to sell in the future or probably a billion dollars.

I started running games with cards in the background to get some drops and I noticed two things:

-If nobody plays the game, the cards seem to be more expensive? The Night of the Rabbit cards are 50 cents each!

-It's ridiculous the amount of games that are getting cards. Each days I see a new handful of games with cards to get.

I wonder if getting them on day one makes them more valuable? I could get drops for a game I don't care about and find out. :P

Oh definitely, that's a good example. You can compare the prices of the most popular items with something like items for Night of the Rabbit and see how supply and price interact.

You can see the same sort of thing by looking at the lifetime price chart for the Football Manager Summer Sale card, which started at €2.26 (as a mystery card), stabilized at €0.60 - €0.70, then fell to €0.12 by halfway through the sale when they were easily obtainable.

(just call me Captain Obvious in future)

I got IGTM from a Humble Bundle and never watched the Steam version (wanted the 1080p H.264 version so I could watch it on my TV), so I'm pleased to see that you can pay for the "Special Edition DLC" that they've recently released. I'll probably grab that at some point and proceed to grab all the trading cards in the 1-2 hours of additional content.

I was going to say I'm baffled at a movie having cheesmints, but... there are services like GetGlue and others that get you achievements for watching TV and movies.

But still, it's hilarious that it has DLC, you what would be MORE hilarious, if you had to watch the movie more than once to get all the card drops!

I crafted a couple of badges, finally got a profile background that was all right, and now I'm just going to bide my time and hope the prices on all of these go up.

Of the games that I've installed strictly to get cards, I ended up playing one of them (Gratuitous Space Battles) for a decent amount of time and I clicked with it in a way I hadn't before, so that's nice.

Shouldn't the prices drop as more people have them? It's only with games The Night of the Rabbit, which nobody seems to own where the prices seem to be rising.

It's ridiculous, I'm pretty sure if you got the game on sale or a bundle, the money you made selling these cards would be more than the game itself!

Speaking of playing the games for cards, it really sucks when it's a game you've just completed and have nothing to do with but leave open. 

Shouldn't the prices drop as more people have them? It's only with games The Night of the Rabbit, which nobody seems to own where the prices seem to be rising.

It's ridiculous, I'm pretty sure if you got the game on sale or a bundle, the money you made selling these cards would be more than the game itself!

Speaking of playing the games for cards, it really sucks when it's a game you've just completed and have nothing to do with but leave open. 

Assuming that sales of a game slope downwards until they are basically zero, and folks that are creating badges stays somewhat near constant (or slopes downwards at a lesser rate) eventually the number of new cards being injected into the system will be less than required for everyone who wants badges to make them.

Of course, that all goes out the window if additional card packs drop at a rate faster than they are used up, in which case sales of the game in question don't matter.

Yes, I get what you mean, but before that the people who have the game will eventually play it which will mean there will be more cards and the price should drop at least a little?

Unless the sales were dismal, it's safe to assume the cards will become less rare before completely disappearing.

Yeah, I guess it's a gamble that the folks who want the badges will eventually make up more than half of the population that have played the game and care enough about steam trading cards to sell them. Right now most of the cards I have are going for about a dime, so it's not much of a risk. I guess I see a point in the future where a user who has never played the game before buys and plays it, but there aren't many (or any) cards on the market to complete the set because everyone else has moved on.

That also doesn't take into account people trying to craft multiple levels of badges, which could eat away at the supply pretty quickly.

Wow, it looks like I got my first "drop" after the cards are depleted and... it was two cards I already have and a foil? Huzzah!?

I also finally got a discount coupon, they expire in ONE WEEK! Geez, that's harsh. And wouldn't you know it? The discount are ONLY for games with MORE Steam Trading cards.

I have 50% off Triple Towns, 66% off Awesomenauts and 50% off Sniper Elite Zombie edition thingie. I bet they were cheaper during the summer sale and I don't really know much about them except Awesomenauts is multiplayer only?

Yeah, I guess it's a gamble that the folks who want the badges will eventually make up more than half of the population that have played the game and care enough about steam trading cards to sell them. Right now most of the cards I have are going for about a dime, so it's not much of a risk. I guess I see a point in the future where a user who has never played the game before buys and plays it, but there aren't many (or any) cards on the market to complete the set because everyone else has moved on.

That also doesn't take into account people trying to craft multiple levels of badges, which could eat away at the supply pretty quickly.

The booster packs exist precisely to avoid cards disappearing forever. As badges are crafted, packs are dropped.

Do you mean they are only dropped when you craft the badge? The one I got was from a set that I didn't have any badge for yet.

Speaking of crafting, has anybody gotten a relatively decent coupon from crafting? The best one I got so far was Awesomenauts, the rest seemed to be games nobody had heard of or cared about.

Hmm, I wonder if this is done on purpose? If the game is unknown the card might have more value and people might buy it in hopes of making a profit... or just not to waste a coupon.

No, others have to craft badges. If it starts to become impossible to craft badges booster packs will start to drop. You can receive a booster pack when you recently played the game, and received all card drops.

Booster packs are semi-randomly distributed over time as badges are crafted by everyone. If you have received all your card drops for a game, you are eligible for booster packs for that game.

So when I craft a badge, there's a chance that it will cause a booster pack to drop for someone else?  Sounds like a progressive slot machine, each time I make a badge it increases the pot for everyone until someone gets a jackpot (in this case a drop of some kind).

So every time X badges are crafted, they drop Y booster packs. Y is probably a function of X. But what do I know, really.

Hmm, so there is chance of getting a drop when crafting and a chance of getting one at random at any time once you have no drops left?

I just checked one of the coupons and the game it's for is already on sale.. the coupon expires before the sale ends, so the coupon is useless. Someone messed up I guess?