lumberbaron

Steam Trading Card

I didn't mind it when it was tied into the Steam Sale a couple years ago. You collected tickets doing dumb community stuff, which could be cashed in for mini-DLCs related to the sale. The tickets had a chance of being coupons too, maybe? It was fun enough, but I'm not sure about it going on all the time. Achievements are best (or least annoying) when the reward is intrinsic. We'll have to see.

My friend got in, but I didn't. ):

Is this still in beta or did everyone get in now?  I didn't get any sort of notification, but I noticed I now have two Dota 2 cards. 

Edit:  I just restarted Steam and got the notification, I have 3 beta invites if anyone wants them.

If anybody gets an invite they wouldn't mind sharing I'm interested in it.

I got one, Justin. Thanks, anyway!

Well, I played Don't Starve for an hour and a half and got my three card drops. Two of them were the same card, so I put one of them up on the community market for $0.50 and to my surprise somebody bought it within like a minute. So now I have $0.44 in my Steam wallet. This is a weird thing.

yeah i'm still looking for an invite if anybody has one.

I've got a couple invites up for grabs.

Crafting badges sounds awesome! Where do I sign up?

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards#join_beta

I get the impression they are being pretty generous with beta access. If you simply can't bear to wait before you start earning your badgecraft badge from time spent in CSGO, TF2, DOTA2, Portal 2, HL2 or (spot the odd one out) Don't Starve then I have one more invite spare. Receiving it requires becoming Steam friends at least temporarily.

So I managed to pick up a couple of the CS:GO cards. It's strange though, it seems you can only early a maximum of three cards in-game, and to complete the set you have to trade for the rest. I'm not really sure what you're supposed to trade for them, though, since presumably you don't have enough cards in any of the other sets to complete them and have leftovers to trade, since you can only unlock three cards per game by playing them.

Is the idea that you complete a set by trading away cards you've earned in other games? Doesn't that make it impossible to complete the set for the game you're trading away cards from, since you can never earn replacement cards?

Well you could also trade other things besides cards like items or games.  Also I think for the free to play games you get cards based on how much money you spend int he store, It hink Valve said it's something like a card for roughly every $9.  I don't know if there is still a cap on this but if not you could then in theory end up with more cards than you need.

Yeah, it is weird. Only a subset of the people playing these games will ever complete any sets, with TF2 and Dota 2 as an exception, since those are theoretically limitless.

Still, it is a beta, so it'll probably change?

Also, I guess you can level each badge up to 5? Which means an even smaller subset will ever reach max level on the non-F2P games. In fact, it'd be entirely possible to never see max-level HL2, P2, or Don't Starve badges, if they get spread thin enough. (I'm sure there are some people who already bought up all the cards on the Steam Market, because they're weird.)

I like the idea as a fun distraction, but I'm not so sure about the execution.