lumberbaron

Steam Trading Card

I really hope this isn't the first step towards the XBL-ification of Steam. I'd like the interface to stay as simple & clean as possible...

Doesn't Steam already have an achievement system? That's basically what the Steam badges are.

This is an extension of that, yes.

Weird. I imagine some people will enjoy collecting them and trading them. Doesn't look like something that would interest me though. 

I actually really like the concept of achievements in general. I think good games are enhanced by good achievements. This, however, sickens me for some reason. Play games to collect cards, use cards to craft badges, use badges to "level up" (whatever the hell that means), eventually level up high enough to become a wizaaaaaaard, then once you reach max level you have officially completed video games and have to find a new hobby so you can start leveling up again for that hobby. Then wish you took the blue pill.

I also worry that a system like this might end up forcing people to play really shitty games to collect the cards they need to increase their XP if they really want to participate in the system and show off their score. With regular achievements I like that I can increase my score by just playing a lot of really good games and only going after good achievements.

People play games for different reasons. If some people want to play games because they get a trading card, that's great. Sometimes people choose their clothes by how they think they look in them rather than how comfortable they are. Same thing. Not everyone has to enjoy this hobby for the same reasons.

So all this trading that's going on in steam, are you able to just request money and receive money for a thing through steam

I'd happily sell my achievements for money

Goodbye 60000 gamer score, hello £3.25

People play games for different reasons. If some people want to play games because they get a trading card, that's great. Sometimes people choose their clothes by how they think they look in them rather than how comfortable they are. Same thing. Not everyone has to enjoy this hobby for the same reasons.

It just feels a little deceptive to me. Like a little carrot on a stick to tease that primitive part of the brain and trick people into playing absolute shit for some arbitrary and superficial reason. Kind of like how McDonalds commercials show someone eating a chicken wrap and next thing you know there is a beautiful woman that has sat down at the table next to him and they fall in love. Yeah, intelligent people see through it but it obviously works on a lot of people and subconsciously gets them to go to McDonalds. I just prefer companies to be honest and straightforward and I am skeptical about the intentions behind this.

Wow, I am a paranoid nut and sound like a psycho. It's so bad that I envision most companies marketing deparments plotting in their underground volcano lairs about how they can deceive people into buying terrible things and stuff that is detrimental to human life. I will post this anyways so you can all laugh at my inane babble. Mwahahaha!

The think I don't like about this is having emoticons in Steam chat.

I wonder if it'll be retroactive.

*receives 1239751982348 dota 2 cards*

TEE BEE AITCH, I have literally no issues with this whatsoever. Not even the Steam Market integration of trading cards, 'cause that'd happen, anyway, and at least this way, players are less likely to get scammed. I enjoy weird meta bullshit, as long as it's unobtrusive, and this seems pretty unobtrusive to me!

I agree with the idea that people should be able to enjoy what they want, but I've also found that by being able to trade stuff, there will become a market for this kind of thing, which will then turn into random people bugging me for stuff or constantly trying to sell me things.  This already happens to me with TF2.  That's relatively easy to ignore because it only happens when I play TF2, but if this kind of trading grows in scale and is connected to Steam rather than a specific game, I can already imagine the spam.

Unless Valve is going to magically usher in a post-scarcity economy, I'm sick of them treating Steam like a social experiment.

Steam does NOT make it easier to play games, and It's gotten to the point where I launch as many games as I can outside of Steam when I play.

Maybe it's just because I have no friends.

I am completely indifferent to this.

I'm not sure how you have things setup, but steam makes games easier to play for me simply just by being a centralized list of games I have and can peruse without venturing into the void of my start menu. But I do have friends...

Cool thing! It's like an extension to the badges system, but now it actually does something. It doesn't seem like an in your face kind of thing and it seems kind of fun.

I use Steam as a store and a list of my games. Everything else is just extra and doesnt really bother me.

I like it. I kind of want to hate it but I don't. I was in on the first batch of invites, turns out that I'm just level 2.

Being able to display trades or items on your profile is pretty cool and useful.

Doesn't Steam already have an achievement system? That's basically what the Steam badges are.

Their achievement system is kind of garbage, though. The whole idea of achievements are to act as social markers of competency, but they're basically individual attaboys that other players can't really see and frequently have nothing to do with competency. People use the system for all sorts of things, but Steam makes it kind of difficult to use achievements for anything other than aggregate tracking and a positive feedback system, and honestly neither of those really deserve their own universal player-focused interface.

And I say this as someone who really likes achievements.

Not to mention that this actually requires interaction. You're never going to get a full card set without trading for it. You have to put things into it to get anything out of it.

Bleurgh, I hate it. Websites used to do this corny stuff like 5 years ago, it's treating your audience like a bunch of idiot kids.

"if I get one more reward in TF2, I can craft a new reward that might drop a reward in Steam! Which is good, cos I need one more Steam reward to craft a reward, and that has a random chance of being a coupon!

gimme a break, I wasn't born yesterday

Free-to-play design's been around long enough, now, that I'm just lookin straight through this "Trading Cards" aesthetic and seeing an incline in average revenue per user and user retention rates. I figured this shit out at Famrville, we all did!